Leap of faith...

Reaction score
Purchased my Phantom 2 Vision+ in July and have flown about 10 missions, all within visual range (although some were right at the edge).

That changed today, as I took the "leap of faith" well beyond visual range until loss of signal was finally encountered. My launch point was on the high ground, with a complely unobstucted path to the west and no wind. I have to say that the period of time between loss of signal and visual detection is gut-wrenching - not knowing if the bird is lost or on it's way back. After a while I thought I could hear it, but wasn't sure it it was the phantom or some heavy equipment in the distance. The noise grew louder until I finally spotted a black dot against a white cloud coming directly back east, and I breathed a sign of relief. I took over manual control with a flip of the switch, and landed her safely. It was an 11 minute flight, and she went just over 1.5 miles (0.75 out and 0.75 back). I'm not going to make a habit out of flying beyond visual range, but it's good to know that the technology works (I attach a pocket finder GPS just in case).

Does this get easier with more flights, or is flying beyond visual range always a gut-wrenching experience?

This is the reason that I have an FPV system that extends beyond control range. It's very reassuring being able to see what the Phantom is doing even if it's beyond control range.

dirkclod said:
Its a rush for me :D

Agreed - but the biggest rush was sighting the phantom coming back home. Reminded me of the long wait before the parachutes were sighted for Apollo 13.

I smile everytime I read a post like this. As I was reading my heart was stomping for you!! Good to see that you had fun!! I want my FPV so much now!!!

That's great :D It does get easier as you build confidence. But FPV with iOSD is really the thing you need to have confidence when flying BVR. That little diamond hovering over the launch point in the display is a very friendly sight.

HarryT said:
This is the reason that I have an FPV system that extends beyond control range. It's very reassuring being able to see what the Phantom is doing even if it's beyond control range.

+1

I also set my flight limit boundaries to cut in before loss of control signal.

Try a Ground Station mission. The first time is nerve racking at best. You're watching it on an Ipad or PC and it's doing it's following waypoints - all the while you're saying to yourself "did I forget anything?" Lol...

I enjoy reading these posts as folks gain confidence in their equipment, but whatever don't get complacent. Remember most crashes or flyaways begin with "I was showing a few mates when..."

Ground Station flight -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbD9uL5 ... VSNdmm127A

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl