Landing in someones grasp

Reaction score
OK, I fly a bunch but land on the ground most times. I have had people grab the bird at times but sometimes I have a hard time shutting it down. I will be flying off a boat in Mexico soon and wanting the best way to turn the drone off when someone takes hold of it.

And can you just power off the base station and the bird dies ?

Thanks for any input.

The boat needs to be still. If it's moving or rocking about, then the "left stick down" method may not work because the AC will think it's still flying. So you may have to use CSC, unfortunately.

I hate CSC.

You turn off the base station your birdie assumes you have been killed by NSA/FAA and dials 911 for you , takes a nice birdiepoop, then heads back to China. :)

Actually turning off the Remote Control is sen by your copter as maybe just losing the communication and it heads back to where it took off from or hovers, whatever you previously told it to do when

What kind of boat will you be flying from? I have hand launched and hand caught from a moving sail boat. If you expect someone else to catch you may wish to practice on land first (and if you will be doing it yourself practice on land first).

Also be aware of compass issues depending on if it is a steel boat, or if there is a large mass of steel near where you will launch/retrieve.

If you're really worried, how about a large net on a stick, hover over it and kill it, it drops, but you rely on that person to catch it in the net.

I'm 50/50 on it, but thought I'd toss it out there. Brings up a whole different set of issues.

If you're really worried, how about a large net on a stick, hover over it and kill it, it drops, but you rely on that person to catch it in the net.
This would only be possible via a CSC. It would be safer to catch it before doing a CSC (if the left stick down does not work).

This would only be possible via a CSC. It would be safer to catch it before doing a CSC (if the left stick down does not work).

Yes, in my mind I was thinking of all the possibilities to the person grabbing it, spinning props etc.

If one can hover whilst a person grabs it, it could hover right over a net and be caught safely. I would think someone has tried that in some context already, but ... it was only an idea. :)

When I hand catch, I use the left stick down method and it works for me all the time. Actually, when you pull it down all the way mine will remain in that position by itself until I actually push it back up to release it.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes, in my mind I was thinking of all the possibilities to the person grabbing it, spinning props etc.

If one can hover whilst a person grabs it, it could hover right over a net and be caught safely. I would think someone has tried that in some context already, but ... it was only an idea. :)
When I hand catch, I use the left stick down method and it works for me all the time. Actually, when you pull it down all the way mine will remain in that position by itself until I actually push it back up to release it.

There is a detent to hold the left stick down, likely for that purpose.

I powered up my P3S once, and wondered why the incessant beeping, then realized my throttle was still in that detent.

When I hand catch, I use the left stick down method and it works for me all the time.
See Mark The Droner's comment above about catching on a boat that is moving/rocking. I haven't personally tried it, but I think he has a valid point.

See Mark The Droner's comment above about catching on a boat that is moving/rocking. I haven't personally tried it, but I think he has a valid point.
I haven't had issues with boat motion and left stick down not working. Some times it makes a flattery power up noise but I suspect that has to do with holding position then the motors die.

Give it a try on land and move it around to see how things behave.

the fishing boat is a 30ty foot center console Everglade. Crew is very good but none of these guys are experienced with any drones. I have not tried just powering down the base station. Would that not work?

the fishing boat is a 30ty foot center console Everglade. Crew is very good but none of these guys are experienced with any drones. I have not tried just powering down the base station. Would that not work?

Powering off the remote will make the drone want to go home (where it launched).

I would really suggest practicing this on land before you do this off a boat. The last thing you need is time to stop and figure things out as you watch the drone go into the drink.

Reading the manual a time or two would also be a good idea.

Reactions: Mark The Droner

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thedrinklabsus