Landing Gear Preference?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Was just gifted a P2V+ and have been soaking in all the great info here.

It's clear to me that increasing the heigth of the landing gear is going to be a good thing for my area. I have seen two basic ways of increasing it, either:
1) But longer landing gear legs:
e.g., http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tall-Landin...d-Clearance-/251439498576?hash=item3a8af64550
or
2) http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phantom...327?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a3eae85bf

Those two seem to be the most cost-effective without springing for a $30-40 carbon fiber setup. Any recommendations one way or another?

Thanks! Really appreciate the amount of wisdom poured onto these threads.

With the spacers you don't have to worry about moving your compass and maintaining its orientation.

Reactions: WildEMT
Thanks Marlin. It's the details like that which make this whole enterprise really entertaining. I'm glad so many have gone ahead of me and done a bit o' trial and error.

1. Welcome to the forums!
2. I do NOT agree with CF landing legs. Here's the reason. The plastic legs have a certain "give" to them. Even if you go with the taller legs or the spaced legs, God forbid the CF legs, ONE thing is going to happen. More force is driven right into the frame of the Quad and/or at the outward moment of the motors. When more force is driven to the frame, the frame itself will buckle. When the frame buckles, you lose ESC's, motors and props. If the higher landing legs are compressed, then the long arm moment of the motors means THEY will break as well. Basic aviation 101.
3. Keep your stock legs and instead, use a CF Camera/Gimbal plate. This means your Quad might tip over. Guess what? That is MUCH more desirable than having one land hard. If you're still interested and informed at this point, let me know. I'll link you the CF plate I purchased.
4. Learn how to hand launch and recover. All you need is a simple and, readily available, neck strap for you transmitter (TX).

That will prevent your having expensive repairs a GOOD bit of the time.

Thanks Blackhawk. Great advice. The CF gear was out-of-the-running for me just based on price-point, but after giving it a second to lap the brain, the stiffness issue makes complete sense. I had looked at the CF gimbal plates, but hadn't put them seriously into the mix yet... now I will.

Hand launch and recover are next on my list of tricks to learn. I've been watching the videos on YouTube and want to give it a try when I have a dedicated spotter around (an adult one...). Certainly is an impressive skill to acquire and has an undeniable benefit of skipping the ground-landing.

Reactions: BlackHawk388
Thanks Blackhawk. Great advice. The CF gear was out-of-the-running for me just based on price-point, but after giving it a second to lap the brain, the stiffness issue makes complete sense. I had looked at the CF gimbal plates, but hadn't put them seriously into the mix yet... now I will.

Hand launch and recover are next on my list of tricks to learn. I've been watching the videos on YouTube and want to give it a try when I have a dedicated spotter around (an adult one...). Certainly is an impressive skill to acquire and has an undeniable benefit of skipping the ground-landing.

If you're ever in the Panama City Beach area, let me know. I'm more than willing to assist and help others to learn exactly how I do things with, IMO, the best of the bunch. First hand, observable knowledge.

That offer is greatly appreciated. When we're in the darkness of winter up here, I've often contemplated the drive to a sunnier climate... :)
https://goo.gl/maps/Jl9tx

ACK! Ack ack, ACK! ACK!!!

As the Martians in "Mars Attacks" would say!!

In other words, no thanks. You keep that cold **** right there where you have it!!! ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl