KNOG Beetle Mini strobe light for night flying

Reaction score
Heres an idea for helping with night flying now that Waypoint Navigation is released. If your Vision happens to go down,
this little Knog Beetle can assist in recovery. Its supposed to flash for 60 hours, its ultra light weight, and powered by a coin cell battery. It has 3 settings, dual LED Flash (simultaneously) Alternating Flash, and On.

Mini-strobe01.jpg

Mini-strobe02.jpg

I cut away the rubber housing and sawed the plastic catch arm completely off. Backed the unit with some white Velcro and slapped on the center Nose forward.
I tested it and still got 11 satellites locked, so I don't think it interferes with the GPS antenna.

Quick and easy night light.
Bought thru Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Beetle-2-LED-Bicycle-Light-Headlight/dp/B002RQN7T6

The Rookie

RCRookie said:
I cut away the rubber housing and sawed the plastic catch arm completely off. Backed the unit with some white Velcro and slapped on the center Nose forward.
I tested it and still got 11 satellites locked, so I don't think it interferes with the GPS antenna.

The Rookie

Hi

How did you attach the velcro to the curved surface of the "Beetle" after you cut away the rubber housing?

Loquacious

I attached a round piece of velcro on the cover for the battery of the Knog. It works, but may need additional security, as i did have the light pop off leaving the battery cover attached to the Vision. More minor engineering is all it needs.

This looks like a good idea, so I'm going to order one of those Knog lights. Is the rubber surface of yours white or translucent as I don't see any white ones for sale over here, only the translucent one?

I have a couple of these:
http://www.knog.com.au/gear-blinder-lig ... ircle.phps

White and red lights, front and back. Front one is velcro'ed on front of body just above the USB port, the rear one hangs via velcro from under the battery housing. I use that stick-on velcro strip. One very handy thing about these lights is that they recharge from your computer USB port. I had to cut off the rubbery stuff which attaches them to bike handlebars. They are VERY bright!

CallMeAlan said:
I have a couple of these:
http://www.knog.com.au/gear-blinder-lig ... ircle.phps

White and red lights, front and back. Front one is velcro'ed on front of body just above the USB port, the rear one hangs via velcro from under the battery housing. I use that stick-on velcro strip. One very handy thing about these lights is that they recharge from your computer USB port. I had to cut off the rubbery stuff which attaches them to bike handlebars. They are VERY bright!

Yes..those Blinder 4v would be even better. A little on the costly side though. They might also be easier to adapt to a Velcro mount. I'd consider it an improved version than what I originally posted. Although a huge jump in cost.

I paid about 14 bucks for two lights.

I think yours looks better RCRookie, is it fits in well with the look of the body, provided it's cut right.

Electric Warrior said:
I think yours looks better RCRookie, is it fits in well with the look of the body, provided it's cut right.

Mine came in today. One battery had 2.4 volts, the other one had .32 volts. NICE!!!

Anyhoo... Did you cut off the hard plastic piece on the front of the light as well as the hoop at the back?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
Electric Warrior said:

Mine came in today. One battery had 2.4 volts, the other one had .32 volts. NICE!!!

Anyhoo... Did you cut off the hard plastic piece on the front of the light as well as the hoop at the back?

Thanks...
-slinger

Yes Slinger...Exactly what I did. I used a Drimmel tool to cut off the latch arm and exacto knife to trim the rubber back as much as possible.
Its shape does sort of lend itself to the forward camber of the Vision. I had a problem with the battery cover coming off to easily, so you'll need to address that , when tugging on Velcro, while removing the light from the Vision.
The light sits neatly between the prop tips with about a half inch clearance of both forward props.

RCRookie said:
gunslinger said:
Electric Warrior said:

Thanks...
-slinger

Yes Slinger...Exactly what I did. I used a Drimmel tool to cut off the latch arm and exacto knife to trim the rubber back as much as possible.
Its shape does sort of lend itself to the forward camber of the Vision. I had a problem with the battery cover coming off to easily, so you'll need to address that , when tugging on Velcro, while removing the light from the Vision.
The light sits neatly between the prop tips with about a half inch clearance of both forward props.

Thanks RC...

I wound up really cutting it down and placing it on the rear of the P2V just above the battery compartment. It's not as pretty as yours, as it's wrapped in velcro. But it's very effective and easy as hell to mount and unmount... I''ll post a pic at next opportunity...

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl