Just lost pro 3 in the ocean.

Sorry for the lose of your Phantom. For anyone that may be thinking of Venturing out over water, if suggest you look into the "GetterBack" Rod Recovery System. Has 100' of 10 Lb Kevlar line. Available online for about $20.

Bought one months ago. Glad I haven't had to use it but at least i have one

This is a perfect example of what this forum can do for us. Learn from others so we don't make the same mistakes. Honestly I never new this about battery charging, although I always charged them
No matter what level they were at if I went home. But again there are a lot of post's on here to read through, I spent 30 minutes reading all these comments. Hopefully that time invested will save me a lot of money from not making the same mistake.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I assume you will not lose another to this issue though.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mark The Droner
This battery issue is certainly one of considerable importance therefore, DJI should preface this information in all documentation to assure all owners don't miss this important information. I would suggest a warning label be attached to all DJI batteries indicating the need to fully charge battery before each and every flight.

Reactions: ReubenMru
Nearly silent, no sounds of swarms of bees like the Phantom. .
I did not know that. The only reason I havent gotten the inspire is because it's more intimidating to people.Whereas with the P3 people are curious .
A few members are here only to criticize those that appear to not have the knowledge that they do.
Yes they do

Reactions: HWCM
This battery issue is certainly one of considerable importance therefore, DJI should preface this information in all documentation to assure all owners don't miss this important information. I would suggest a warning label be attached to all DJI batteries indicating the need to fully charge battery before each and every flight.
Exactly!

Reactions: Peio64270
One would think that a $150 battery could be flown on 60% battery without critical failure. And in all honesty, it should work fine. Technology is there. Dji shouldn't cut corners on battery quality and then overcharge for them as well.

What I don't get is how the system as a whole just cuts all power when power levels are too low, causing the bird to just drop like a rock.

I'd think that if the battery levels got THAT low that it could still reduce motor power but attempt to fly back to where it came from.

Reactions: Peio64270
It's the load. I think a fair analogy is an old car battery, especially one that's cold. You crank it and either nothing happens or not enough happens. It still has voltage but it won't turn the engine over fast enough, or it won't turn it over at all. Sometimes it won't even engage the starter. You knew it was getting weak, but you didn't think it would just die on you...

What I don't get is how the system as a whole just cuts all power when power levels are too low, causing the bird to just drop like a rock.

I'd think that if the battery levels got THAT low that it could still reduce motor power but attempt to fly back to where it came from.

Back 'in the day', before microprocessors and voltage regulators were embedded in products, that's kinda what would happen. Your radio volume would drop as the battery voltage dropped, for example.

Not the case anymore. Once minimum thresholds are met or crossed, it's 'lights out'.

Last edited:
Not sure you read my whole post. If I wouldnt have been over water at least I would have my drone in my hand. It completely lost power. Now it is at the bottom of the ocean

If my quad ever drop from couple hundred feet. I will prefer it to get dump over water then even a remote chance of it hitting a house/car/human. The cause of that accident will be 1000% worst. Just my .02

Well I heard from dji today because I got my drone used from another person and don't have the original receipt I'm out of luck. Won't even give me a discount

I believe the last part is on the preflight check list

From "Phantom_3_Intelligent_Flight_Battery_Safety_Guidelines_en.pdf":

Capture.JPG

Edit: But I DO agree that they should say a little more about the pitfalls of flying on a partially charged batteries, even if they don't get into the science of it all.

Also — and I post this only for completeness, not to rub anyone's nose in it — the following disclaimer is found in the main User Manual itself (Phantom_3_Professional_User_Manual_en_v1.8_160330.pdf):

Capture.JPG

Which the image from the previous post came from. So, they are covering their butts. But as I said earlier, it would be nice if the mentioned the pitfalls. Something like the following:

"Note: A partially charged battery may not perform as expected. That is, if you are accustom to getting 24 minutes from a 100% charged battery, it is not necessarily true that you will get 12 minutes from a 50% battery. Also be aware that taking off on a partially spent battery that has recently flown may exhibit a sudden and critical power loss in certain conditions. It is for these reasons that we recommend a fully charged battery for each flight."

Eh?

I'm trying to jog my memory here, but wasn't the problem with partially-charged batteries being flown in "cold" weather? And, it was fixed in a later firmware update?
Hi @snerd. I think you are probably referring to the voltage reading issues introduced with FW 1.5 which caused several P3s to shut down and crash. As noted earlier. it is not exclusive to cold weather flying, but it is exacerbated by using cold batteries which tend to give misleading voltage readings anyway. The issue was fixed with a quick release of FW 1.6 which introduced the "propulsion limited" warning. When people ask about it, I normally give them the below posts to read. I know that you know, but I will add them here for anyone new who may not know the background:

P3P drops from sky into Mississippi flood, flood wins

Phantom 3 Professional Firmware v1.6.0040

Some time ago like last fall a member named GeneralTso or something like that claimed a DJI tech told him first hand that it was a clear firmware bug and that it was fixed in a firmware update but then that same member posted in another thread weeks later that he tested it and it actually was not fixed.
Hi @Marknmd - If I understand correctly, that member, @generaltso , was talking here about the auto discharge "clock" being reset if the battery charge indicator is pressed. Is that related to the issue of flying without fully charged batteries? Thanks sir for any insight.

Last edited:
Also — and I post this only for completeness, not to rub anyone's nose in it — the following disclaimer is found in the main User Manual itself (Phantom_3_Professional_User_Manual_en_v1.8_160330.pdf):

View attachment 56468

Which the image from the previous post came from. So, they are covering their butts. But as I said earlier, it would be nice if the mentioned the pitfalls. Something like the following:

"Note: A partially charged battery may not perform as expected. That is, if you are accustom to getting 24 minutes from a 100% charged battery, it is not necessarily true that you will get 12 minutes from a 50% battery. Also be aware that taking off on a partially spent battery that has recently flown may exhibit a sudden and critical power loss in certain conditions. It is for these reasons that we recommend a fully charged battery for each flight."

Eh?
Send it on to DJI

Hi @Marknmd - If I understand correctly, that member, @generaltso , was talking here about the auto discharge "clock" being reset if the battery charge indicator is pressed. Is that related to the issue of flying without fully charged batteries? Thanks sir for any insight.
No, I'm sorry, either I'm thinking of another thread or I'm completely confused thinking this was a firmware bug. AFAIK, the reset problem has nothing to do with the "flying without fully charged batteries" problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl