Just a thought

I was flying u-controlled planes in the 50's. Graduated to flying Navy aircraft in the late 60's and on. Commercial Pilot too. ...now I'm flying a P3A 2.7k. My first quadcopter.
I"m 72 and having the best time! I too have had a lot of toys. Corvettes, BMW Roadster, motorcycles, and now UAV's. Life is good!!!! For you youngsters out there, age is inevitable, just don't get old.......

I was flying u-controlled planes in the 50's. Graduated to flying Navy aircraft in the late 60's and on. Commercial Pilot too. ...now I'm flying a P3A 2.7k. My first quadcopter.
I"m 72 and having the best time! I too have had a lot of toys. Corvettes, BMW Roadster, motorcycles, and now UAV's. Life is good!!!! For you youngsters out there, age is inevitable, just don't get old.......
I hear you Greg,
we had some great toys in our day but I'm never planning to grow old as long as these young people keep coming up
with these fantastic new flying machines. I can't wait to try the FPV accessories. That has got to be a hoot !

64 here & retired! I've been a (static) builder of models most of my life. In the days of film, i worked in TV advertising photography. In the past couple of years. I have discovered the fascination of RC. Now i have a whole new dimension to my favorite hobbies. I practiced with a couple of small quads until i got proficient, then purchased a P3s, soon trading up to a P4. I'm having the time of my life with my new toys!

66 and have been in RC flying since 1966. I built many RC planes from balsa also, covered them with cloth and stiffened the cloth with 'dope', and it wasn't the kind people take or smoke. Monocoat was a blessing for covering RC models. A hairdryer was all that was needed for a perfect looking plane. I also did model rockets with cameras onboard. Then couldn't wait to get the film developed to see the curvature of the earth! No instant gratification of digital cameras in those days! I bought a DJI Phantom 1 when they were first released. Built a gimble for my GoPro 3, and learned that five minutes of flight wasn't long with that gimble drawing so much current from the battery!
Back in the 60's, being an Amateur,(Ham), Radio Operator, helped, because I could fly my RC planes using a 50mhz radio, and not worry about interference from other RC modelers, or interfering with others. It's been a fun hobby, along with becoming an electrical engineer, specializing in digital communications and control.

The kids today (I'm thinking the 20 something year olds) fail to appreciate what has gone before. Growing up in the late fifties, sixties, and early 70's, what we can now hold in our hands would have been pure magic (and literally worth billions in the technology).
Yet a lot us grew up with the Space Program, Disney's "Worlds of Tomorrow" etc., flying cars, you name it; and all of it pushed on TV as "coming real soon". We bought it too, us nerdy kids. And then we suffered "The Great Disappointment vers. 2" (the religious got vers.1 in the 1800's...). By the early 70's most of those dreams, along with the Space Program were basically "thrown away". Glad I at least lived long enough to have a P4, and the wonderous ability to "let go of the sticks" and have it wait while I think about it...

P.S. I never could get the hang of Silkspan....

I hope when I am your ages that I get to talk about the phantoms and say how outdated they were and how I appreciate my drone car etc... lol

I'm a patched up, Gimpy Legged, Triple By-passed 65 year old going on 25. The hospital declared me indestructable after 6 weeks trying to nail the lid down. They gave up and set me loose 3 years past November. For some reason there were fireworks going off for me all the way home. I appreciated the welcome home anyway.

I bought a P3/4k for my (23rd) birthday last year, Christmas followed with a P3Pro present to myself and this years early birthday present P4 arrived the other week. It came early so I could catch the supposedly decent Summer flying weather. Thunder storm on Sunday put the mockers on that idea! Typical!

So technically I can officially retire come November. Suits me as I will never be offered work as an employee again. I should be up to speed with P Flying skills by then. My cousin has already passed his Pro UK Flying Licence and Public Liability Insurance will be in place shortly. He'll be Chief Pilot with me as Ground Support and Crowd Control. (I'll beat them back with my crutches! :smilingimp: and his wife will be Catering Manageress in her caravanette. Frothy coffee and chocolate cake on the menu. :yum:

I wish I had chucked the smokes a long time ago! :screamcat: I could have paid for a fleet of UAV's by now!

Reactions: Indiana Scott
My dad left me a long list of things I did not have as a kid. So I have had a lot
Of fun I life with new toys. At 84, bought a P4 and love it. Impressive camera.
Gets me out of the house on weekends!

I'm 16 in a 62-year-old body. I've been into electronics since I was actually 16 or less. I still prefer those old 8-bit micros and assembly-language programming. My P3P is a merging of two hobbies - electronics and photography. I guess I'll have to use my bird to photograph my remaining hobbies...

I'm 63. P2v+ & P3P. I was trying to learn inverted flight with my "Ringmasters" when the DJI bug bit. IMPBA was fun. (Tunnel & inboard hydro). I ride BMW R1150r

I'm 51 and just bought a Phantom 4 PRO for the wife real estate business. Always have enjoyed RC stuff and have had a life long passion for metal detecting and now have a side business selling detectors.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT