Just a thought

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
I have to chuckle when I see you guys congratulating some 70 year old for being able to use a drone or being able to do a basic calibration. We " old-timers" were flying way before you were even thought of. I was flying U controlled craft in the 50's. We built our own planes out of balsa wood and Testers glue. We did have a "high" old time doing it. At the time we didn't know why.. LOL
I now have 6 drones in my collection. Even at my considerably old age, I can repair a gimbal. No small feat for a guy with crooked fingers that point in every direction.

How many of you are 60, or older? I am 68, and also have more toys now than ever before. I can afford the time and expense now. NOTE the 11' wingspan powered glider in the picture. I have a P4 that has over 110 flights. I do baby it.

Last edited:
I'm a young 52, no mid life crisis here, get to play with various full scale toys in addition to my Quad and R/C stuff.

I enjoyed building planes as well, covering, sheeting, etc. :)

Reactions: cfd701
I'm 63 and retired. When I was born I lived in 1 room shanty. We never had a car till I was 11. In the 60's I built my first metal detector. I always wanted to fly and was always building model planes. At 21 I worked my way to field engineer at Hilton Head, SC. Since, I have done a little of everything. I have a great love for nature and photography.

Reactions: cfd701 and macoman
[QUOTE. I have a great love for nature and photography.[/QUOTE]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too...that is why as soon as PLAYBOY came out I ordered a subscription.......

Oh - as to age. I am 77. And I STILL havnt figured out what to do with my life if and when I grow up.....

I'm pre WW2 vintage...will be 79 this year. I don't think many men ever get beyond around 25 in their mind...the only real sign of the passing of time is that where you used to bounce and bend, you now bruise and break!
Started with a P3P three years ago, and now have a P4 and Mavic as well. Happy days! :)

Reactions: Craig H
I'm 63 and retired. When I was born I lived in 1 room shanty. We never had a car till I was 11. In the 60's I built my first metal detector. I always wanted to fly and was always building model planes. At 21 I worked my way to field engineer at Hilton Head, SC. Since, I have done a little of everything. I have a great love for nature and photography.
How did you do with the metal detector? You were at the forefront of that hobby.

How did you do with the metal detector? You were at the forefront of that hobby.
Sorta, my dad and coworkers designed a metal detector at work. They made of bunch of printed circuit boards with their design on it. My dad brought about 5 boards home and helped me put one together. They designed the heads at work and brought me one from his work. Got away from it, and in the 80's got a whites. Got away from it again, and picked it up again in 2005 to now. I have an Ace for play grounds and getting close to metal objects. I have a Fisher F 70 for deep relics. I'm closing in ( very close ) to finding a gold cashe.

[QUOTE.

Me too...that is why as soon as PLAYBOY came out I ordered a subscription.......

Oh - as to age. I am 77. And I STILL havnt figured out what to do with my life if and when I grow up.....
Keep ahaaa reading those PlayBoys :)

Will be 60 in August. My congrats to the original poster. You're only as old as you feel and act.

I also hold a private pilot certificate and have always loved being in the sky all alone and feeling free as....well....a bird. (pun intended)

Reactions: Droneted
I was flying U controlled craft in the 50's. We built our own planes out of balsa wood and Testers glue.

I'm 45 and the first model airplanes I flew were also control line. A friend of mine's dad was into radio control and control line airplanes and he would take a couple of us kids out flying every now and again.

In fact, there is a guy I see a couple times a year still flying control line in a field across from the Arlington airport near where I live. Thumbs up to him for keeping control line alive!

Reactions: Droneted
Sorta, my dad and coworkers designed a metal detector at work. They made of bunch of printed circuit boards with their design on it. My dad brought about 5 boards home and helped me put one together. They designed the heads at work and brought me one from his work. Got away from it, and in the 80's got a whites. Got away from it again, and picked it up again in 2005 to now. I have an Ace for play grounds and getting close to metal objects. I have a Fisher F 70 for deep relics. I'm closing in ( very close ) to finding a gold cashe.
Me too! Been detecting since 1985, with Garretts. Wife uses the AT Pro; awesome machine, very light, full featured. I thought by now we would be seeing 3' under the ground with a handheld flat screen TV. I'm waiting.

Me too! Been detecting since 1985, with Garretts. Wife uses the AT Pro; awesome machine, very light, full featured. I thought by now we would be seeing 3' under the ground with a handheld flat screen TV. I'm waiting.
I have been on Finds forum a lot in the past. I have cw belt buckle, Bayonet, many gold rings, minnie's, tokens and many coins from the 1800's.

How many of you are 60, or older? I am 68, and also have more toys now than ever before. I can afford the time and expense now. NOTE the 11' wingspan powered glider in the picture. I have a P4 that has over 110 flights. I do baby it.
Nice looking Open Class bird, my largest is my Mirage (112" span) still have an Astro Challanger (05 geared cobalt), I remember when flying it at the Dayton Ohio soaring club in the later 80's when the only electrics that had shown up were the "foamies" (very short flights, and usual crash...), when I launched the Challenger and did a fast climb to soaring altitude , I remember on of the guys saying "what you got in that, a Black & Decker Motor"). Don't fly em' anymore but I've got a P4 too and baby it alot too, I always fly it like a bit of me is sitting in the cockpit.

Reactions: Craig H

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik