It's so cold...

Reaction score
I really did know when I got this that it was meant for the summer... but it's just too tempting to get out whenever I have the chance. While the sport is new to me, I'd rather stay in daylight, fly LOS as much as I'm comfortable with, all that good "rule following" stuff cause I don't wanna be a moron, so that's pretty much limiting me to weekends... and if it's cold on the weekend, so be it.

But it's a different game. I had to bring something to throw down on the parking lot to take off and land on, so the camera isn't in the snow. I forgot to bring something, so the best I had was a Home Depot bucket lid... Hit it dead center on a manual landing too!

You have to watch battery temperature, which I completely forgot about at the time but have come to rely on being warned when necessary.

But it's not just that... iPhones HATE the cold. I had an external battery connected, and even that couldn't keep up. By the end of a 16 minute flight, my drone battery was low, remote battery was low and phone was 17% and dropping fast.

I have those mittens that peel back away from your fingers but my fingers were freezing and I had to cover them up again. Good thing I just got a lanyard... I'll never get over the cool factor that the drone just hovered at 280' while I covered up.

My ears were frozen.

And I still LOVED every minute of it!

Looks like the kids had some fun with donuts in the high school parking lot last night!
1f63c8639cf217d5d3e162ba3f6fa292.jpg

-oddly enough I was getting virtually non-stop "interference" warnings but I have flown often there before and never had one til now.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Gundy
Cold - almost as bad as windy, but not quite.
Here in UK it's cold and windy, almost always!

I put a battery in my inside jacket pocket on the way to fly, so it's warmed up ready to go, then each time I take it out I put the next one in the pocket - little bit of pre-heating.
I also use the device friendly gloves, not as warm as proper gloves but thin enough to not interfere with feel, and allow touch screen use.

Yes, iPhones hate the cold, iPad copes better due to the size of the battery - the Air 2 fits into the P3A holder with the iPad cover still on which helps. My iPhone 6 will shut down after 1 flight in anything below 5C. iPad will last 3 to 4 flights with no problems - blue fingers and nose generally stop play.

A cold, but not overly windy day:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Gundy and jwmcgrath
DJI_0014.JPG DJI_0013.JPG
I feel ya man. With scenery like this, and nobody bothering you, it was totally worth freezing your ears off! Sorry about the horizon tilt though.

My friend was also getting video down link interference during his flight as well, even though we are in the middle of nowhere.

Cold - almost as bad as windy, but not quite.

Yes, iPhones hate the cold, iPad copes better due to the size of the battery
Yes, I couldn't get a full flight on an iPhone battery at this temperature. It's only -15 today and while I personally can handle way colder than that, this isn't the temp for flying!
I ordered a tablet mount for the P3S controller and as soon as I get it, I think I'll be going with an iPad mini 2. If not for the battery, then just as much for the additional screen size.

[QUOTE="Gundy, post: 1096545, member: 85517
I feel ya man. With scenery like this, and nobody bothering you, it was totally worth freezing your ears off! Sorry about the horizon tilt though.

My friend was also getting video down link interference during his flight as well, even though we are in the middle of nowhere.[/QUOTE]

It IS worth it! I'm sure the cold wreaks havoc with the interference and all kinds of other complaints... That's while I'm being particularly cautious with distance and daylight. Love the pics!

You know what's really nuts? It's freaking 80 degrees here, in Houston. I'm wearing shorts in the dead of winter for weeks, now. We got 3 days of cold weather this year and it's been hot.

p3s- fishing
p4 Black- Inspections

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan