ITELITE Antenna Owners Thread: 4 MILES WITH P3P (page 31)

Finalized the installation today and the weather is good enough to test it out later today, I'll return with results later!

I went for the mount on extender strategy as well, and I agree, it's a tight fit, especially with the tablet clip, but it works! So happy that I managed to squeeze everything into one case..

UDez05l.jpg

THeqCln.jpg

bnXeQA2.jpg

mZDJnL0.jpg

I remounted the panel as above directly onto the extender.
Though I have my cables coming out of the base.
I did find also the stainless bracket was starting to rub off the label on the extender. (with I guess the important mac address).

It also fits neatly into my padded backpack, similar to those shown.
View attachment 17807 View attachment 17808
****! I should be getting ROYALTIES for this mounting system! :p

Yesterday, I did the "$10 mod" and moved my internal 2.4 GHz antennas to the front and rear positions. I got some extra distance in my usual flying area, covered in trees... About an extra 100 yards.
The soldering of the new antenna cable to the rear antenna proved to be difficult. I expected (wrongly) just plugging the cable in. But it seems to have worked out.
I'm going to go out to the lake shore later to see how it compares.
Nonetheless, the itelite antenna and the $10 mod will be it for me for my distance endeavors. It's far enough for me and my battery anxiety.... And it fits into my Tradecraft case perfectly.

Well after a snow delay, I went out and tested my latest setup:
-itelite antenna
-$10 mod
-FPV Booster app, on "Smartboost"

I got to about 6400 ft distance at about 160 ft altitude
I then decided to fly higher and try to get more distance... At about 300 ft altitude, I got to a distance of 10,053 feet. My wifi wand on my FPV Camera app was green at this point. This was limited by my settings in the Phantom software serttings. On landing after the return trip, my battery was at 26%. Right about at the limit of my comfort level. So as I mentioned before, this is probably it for my distance endeavors.

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopter-tahoe-tessie-selwyn-lee-P8uM8gF5/

I did try on a subsequent flight to duplicate a bit of DBS's directional testing on his Inspire. Keep in mind my Phantom's wifi antennas are now in the front and rear of the bird.

With the antenna facing forward, I flew the bird left and right (while pointing forward). I was able to 1300 ft to the right without difficulty, and 2200 ft with just a minor rotation of the remote control to the right.
What I see is that the directionality issue for normal flying is a bit overdone.

Overall, I am quite happy with the results of my setup.
Tinkering and modding makes this hobby fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skynet1
I finally got a chance to fly today with good weather and my own little bugs worked out. I had my vision+ to just over 7200' and had good control side to side as well. I probably could have gone a little further, but my app started to get sketchy so I quit while I was ahead. Great antenna especially for the way it's put together and its price. Good job DBS and ITELITE!

-itelite antenna
-$10 mod

I then decided to fly higher and try to get more distance... At about 300 ft altitude, I got to a distance of 10,053 feet distance. My wifi wand on my FPV Camera app was green at this point. This was limited by my settings in the Phantom software serttings. On landing after the return trip, my battery was at 26%. Right about at the limit of my comfort level. So as I mentioned before, this is probably it for my distance endeavors.

I did try on a subsequent flight to duplicate a bit of DBS's directional testing on his Inspire. Keep in mind my Phantom's wifi antennas are now in the front and rear of the bird.

With the antenna facing forward, I flew the bird left and right (while pointing forward). I was able to 1300 ft to the right without difficulty, and 2200 ft with just a minor rotation of the remote control to the right.
What I see is that the directionality issue for normal flying is a bit overdone.

Awesome info Sandman … really appreciate the detailed remarks …
welcome to the DBS Phantom Swarm!!!

I finally got a chance to fly today with good weather and my own little bugs worked out. I had my vision+ to just over 7200' and had good control side to side as well. I probably could have gone a little further, but my app started to get sketchy so I quit while I was ahead. Great antenna especially for the way it's put together and its price. Good job DBS and ITELITE!

Great news bro!! I know you had your share of issues right out of the box there but sounds like you are getting sorted out and working well... Thank-you for the kind words sir!!

Finalized the installation today and the weather is good enough to test it out later today, I'll return with results later!

I went for the mount on extender strategy as well, and I agree, it's a tight fit, especially with the tablet clip, but it works! So happy that I managed to squeeze everything into one case..

UDez05l.jpg

THeqCln.jpg

bnXeQA2.jpg

mZDJnL0.jpg

That came out beautiful!! Love the whole carbon look!! And the black motor mounts!! :eek::eek::eek:

****! I should be getting ROYALTIES for this mounting system! :p

True statement … this is really catching on :cool:
Great ideas are made to be shared bro... excellent contribution to The Swarm!!!

-itelite antenna
-$10 mod

I then decided to fly higher and try to get more distance... At about 300 ft altitude, I got to a distance of 10,053 feet. My wifi wand on my FPV Camera app was green at this point. This was limited by my settings in the Phantom software serttings. On landing after the return trip, my battery was at 26%. Right about at the limit of my comfort level. So as I mentioned before, this is probably it for my distance endeavors.

All good info here, well done. It does appear many of the antenna systems work well over water where there may be minimal RF interference issues. with some being more directional than others. You certainly can't beat the bang for the buck results of the DBS itelite antenna module.
Btw, you had also answered a question I had, as to what sort of distance had been recorded when relying on the Wi-Fi wand of the PVFlyer Camera App. as it relates to directional positioning of the antenna's, pilot side.
Much of the info previously provided showed the directional wand projected out to several hundred meters, but this flight far surpasses that while providing this important info.
I was curious if you had been using the IOS version of the App, or Android? Thanks much.

Last edited:
Re: Looks like ITELITE will start making antennas for us soo

Hahaaaa... Boost Mode activated...

I'm trying to explain to my wife about how I "need" to go fly on Christmas morning... :roll:

It ain't working out bro... :lol:

Thanks DBS for all your testing efforts and influence with itelite in making this little antenna package all that it has become. A great contribution to the hobby, for sure.

Thanks DBS for all your testing efforts and influence with itelite in making this little antenna package all that it has become. A great contribution to the hobby, for sure.
All good info here, well done. It does appear many of the antenna systems work well over water. with some being more directional than others, but you certainly can't beat the bang for the buck results of the DBS itelite antenna module.
Btw, you had answered a question I had, as to what sort of distances had been recorded when relying on the Wi-Fi wand on the PVFlyer Camera App. as it related to directional positioning of the antenna's, pilot side.
Much of the info previously provided showed the directional wand out to several hundred meters, but this flight far surpasses while providing accurate info.
I was curious if you had been using the IOS version of the App, or Android? Thanks much.

I'm using the iOS version. And looking forward to their update.

I mounted the Itelite directly to the range extender
How does one go about removing the cover of the Itelite so the screw studs picture here can be removed to facilitate using Velcro to mount the Itelite directly to the range extender (instead of drilling holes in the extender)?

Reactions: Skynet1
How does one go about removing the cover of the Itelite so the screw studs picture here can be removed to facilitate using Velcro to mount the Itelite directly to the range extender (instead of drilling holes in the extender)?

The panel is siliconed shut... very hard to open... dulled utility knife and mangled plastic and bent aluminum reflector plate are usually the result. (Not good for reassembly and optimal performance)

And those screws are studs that are machine pressed and bonded to the aluminum from the inside... so once you get in there you will not find a nut or a Phillips head to turn and remove them... better to grab the trusty dremel tool and cut them off... if you try to get them from the back you will end up drilling them out anyways. (AND you can't get to all of them... some are under the actual patches mounted inside the panel)

Qmm8xN8.jpg

Last edited:
Brent, you may consider simply cutting them off, via Dremel tool, or other means, flush to the backing plate. Just a thought! :)

Oops, DBS beat me to the punch. Disregard.

Last edited:
i love velcro and I use it in many gadgets, But I don't really know if this would be a good place for it.
To be flush with the TX, the antenna panel must be sticking on one side to the extender, not the center. so it will get side heavy and may be wobbly.
What exaclty is the reason for not drilling the extender and get a tight grip?

DBS, just out of curiosity...has anyone done this type of test with a stock Vision 2 plus? This is incredible!!!

BTW and just as an FYI, I ordered a new wifi extender today. I'm looking forward to that getting me additional distance- I seriously believe you are correct about my weak wifi signal being an issue with my extender. Cheers!!

The extender won't help if your birdside wifi module is bad....

The panel is siliconed shut... very hard to open... dulled utility knife and mangled plastic and bent aluminum reflector plate are usually the result. (Not good for reassembly and optimal performance)

And those screws are studs that are machine pressed and bonded to the aluminum from the inside... so once you get in there you will not find a nut or a Phillips head to turn and remove them... better to grab the trusty dremel tool and cut them off... if you try to get them from the back you will end up drilling them out anyways. (AND you can't get to all of them... some are under the actual patches mounted inside the panel)

Brent, you may consider simply cutting them off, via Dremel tool, or other means, flush to the backing plate. Just a thought! :)

Oops, DBS beat me to the punch. Disregard.

Thanks for the quick responses, guys!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z