It isn't for me...I'm ready to send it back !

Something's wrong there, LRC. Did you pay the $5 fee? If so, the registration is instant and you're given your registration number immediately. Here is the link:
sUAS Registration - Create Account
I got an email with and attached PDF with my Small UAS Certificate of Registration number and name on it. It's like a small business card you can print and keep in your gear bag or wallet.

I love the videos the Phantom 4 can produce. Its impressive flight and video characteristics seem intuitive and easy to use. I want the benefits of the Phantom's 4K video, with its sport tracking, intelligent mapping and long, far, high flights. But after dutifully setting up and charging my Phantom 4 and the controller, my enjoyment is overcome with conflicting firmware update methods, and with its colorful lights flashing, My Phantom 4 gets off the platform, but only after I've had enough, and I pick it up, to put it away for a while. If I hand't already 'confirmed' I was going to use it (hoping the blades would spin to life), I would carefully box it up, request a return and say good bye. But I can't, I now own it. I hate to say it, but I'm 'stuck with it'. And so I will persist. I have to, otherwise The Phantom 4 will soon be a fancy shelf sculpture. If anyone can help me please, to get the Phantom 4 to come out of its hiding and rotate to life, I will greatly appreciate it. Please, no scolding of how dumb I am, you don't know me, please, only real attempts to help. Until then, at least for the next 15 minutes, I will enjoy my fully charged, and easy to use, old 1080 video flyer, thank you, Jon.

I had the same issue when I opened mine up. After charging, I expected it to launch when I demanded it to. I then discovered that everything needed to be turned on in a certain order.

1. Open your App on your phone/tablet.
2. Turn on the hand controller.
3. Turn on the Drone and wait for it to warm up.

After I did it in this order, I was flying!

Brolland

Something's wrong there, LRC. Did you pay the $5 fee? If so, the registration is instant and you're given your registration number immediately. Here is the link:
I paid $10 & got a
I paid $10 & got an account# & 2 additional emails verifying my email & address, that's it. When I go to the verification site I got the message above. I did sent them & email & got a reply (robotic?) they where looking into it. I'm < 2 miles from Melbourne airport & I'm trying to go by the "rules".

The cost of registration is $5, not $10. Please humor me and tell me the address from which you received the emails. I'm a little worried that you might be getting scammed somehow. The emails should be coming from [email protected]

The registration is for you, the pilot, and covers an unlimited number of drones for 3 years.

I agree with Bigbells, $5 and it should immediate.

Or just don't bother in the sense that "one has a moral obligation to disobey unjust laws". Just be prepared for the consequence in the rare case it comes up. :p

The cost of registration is $5, not $10. Please humor me and tell me the address from which you received the emails. I'm a little worried that you might be getting scammed somehow. The emails should be coming from [email protected]

The registration is for you, the pilot, and covers an unlimited number of drones for 3 years.

I may have been scammed
this is the web site I received an email from. "[email protected] via sendgrid.net"

I may have been scammed
this is the web site I received an email from. "[email protected] via sendgrid.net"
You were not scammed. Sendgrid.net is a legit email handling company that handles the verifications for the FAA. My "confirm your account" email and the "account confirmed" emails from the FAA also arrived via sendgrid.net.

The email which contained my registration number came from [email protected] via amazonses.com.

I think what happened is that you've paid twice, and that it will get straightened out.

You were not scammed. Sendgrid.net is a legit email handling company that handles the verifications for the FAA. My "confirm your account" email and the "account confirmed" emails from the FAA also arrived via sendgrid.net.

The email which contained my registration number came from [email protected] via amazonses.com.

I think what happened is that you've paid twice, and that it will get straightened out.
This is correct. I just examined the header in the email they sent me and it DID go through Sendgrid. My above response was wrong.

Reactions: Bigbells
I've seen some out of box not rtf and that goes for all RC
I'm glad you got it going and the P4 is a blast to fly and so many different options. Today people have it easy as flying right out of the box and self leveling. I started flying Heli's 10+ yrs ago when we had paddles and gyros.
Now everything is easier to fly including airplanes. I do them all and it's nice taken the P4 up and relaxing while flying.
Can't do that too much with planes and heli's.
So enjoy your phantom and fly at night if you haven't already :)
Merry Christmas to you all

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I read and followed the instructions just fine, but could not get mine to fly either right at first, even after the updates, but my problem was my phone that I was trying to connect with, it just would not connect, I called DJI three times, the first two times I got what seemed to be people from another planet, who didn't understand, and it went only made me more frustrated. The third time I called it was to let them know I was going to box it up and I expected a refund, and the person who answered actually knew a thing or two, and understood English and she taught me that I could go to settings in my phone and override the debugging on it, once that was checked it was able to communicate with the bird and it's been great fun and many good flights since. One bad flight however, and I can tell you it must be a "living" object because you could hear it cry out for help when it crashed and was laying on the ground upside down.
Which happened about 6 months of great flights, so do understand even when you feel you have it mastered, it can happen, thanks heavens I bought coverage.

I love the videos the Phantom 4 can produce. Its impressive flight and video characteristics seem intuitive and easy to use. I want the benefits of the Phantom's 4K video, with its sport tracking, intelligent mapping and long, far, high flights. But after dutifully setting up and charging my Phantom 4 and the controller, my enjoyment is overcome with conflicting firmware update methods, and with its colorful lights flashing, My Phantom 4 gets off the platform, but only after I've had enough, and I pick it up, to put it away for a while. If I hand't already 'confirmed' I was going to use it (hoping the blades would spin to life), I would carefully box it up, request a return and say good bye. But I can't, I now own it. I hate to say it, but I'm 'stuck with it'. And so I will persist. I have to, otherwise The Phantom 4 will soon be a fancy shelf sculpture. If anyone can help me please, to get the Phantom 4 to come out of its hiding and rotate to life, I will greatly appreciate it. Please, no scolding of how dumb I am, you don't know me, please, only real attempts to help. Until then, at least for the next 15 minutes, I will enjoy my fully charged, and easy to use, old 1080 video flyer, thank you, Jon.
ahh...Have you tried calling DJI support?

I just got a Phantom 4 for Christmas today and spent the better part of the day watching every YouTube and DJI Vid that I could get my hands on, and I would say the learning curve is rather steep for most people. I'm a veteran of iphones, car stereo, and many other gadget forums....so firmware and all the other things I encountered today were ok....but there were a few strange messages while updating and other minor glitches.....

Outside. My first flight was OK until it came down a little bit in the bushes because return home is not exact, less than I expected......and I learned drones in 15-20 mph winds is not smart. But No harm done. Out tomorrow for my second try...... I love this technology.

Last edited:
Not meaning to sound insensitive..but some things should not be easy. The enjoyment of flying such a high performance and sophisticated aircraft in our air space comes with responsibility, and also given to those who demonstrate the proficiency and persistence required to get these amazing little craft up and going. The mere complexity of the units at this level provide a "Survival of the Fittest" scenario where you must take the time and sort through the set up procedures and overcome the inevitable glitches, learn the features and operations of the aircraft to enjoy the success of a beautiful flight...and for those who can't persevere then they can return the unit or sell it on E-Bay. This level of the sport is not for everyone...and I am glad you kicked your way through it. Surely the satisfaction you now feel makes it easy to forget the frustration you initially went through. Congratulations

Reactions: chopperguy
A good thing to try if you are having trouble with firmware is to use the DJI Assistant 2 desktop application and connect the drone directly to your computer via USB. The app will prompt you to upgrade the firmware once it connects to the drone. I used that method out of the box and had no trouble whatsoever.

Good luck and don't give up!
Connection via the DJI assistant works best for me....AND its doesnt work using my Mac only on my PC??? Interesting.....

I feel you buddy. My P3P is sitting here in my office. I looked at it thinking it may be a great day for flying, but knowing it's been two months since my last flight and fearing another update, I decided to just leave it.

I just got a Phantom 4 for Christmas today and spent the better part of the day watching every YouTube and DJI Vid that I could get my hands on, and I would say the learning curve is rather steep for most people. I'm a veteran of iphones, car stereo, and many other gadget forums....so firmware and all the other things I encountered today were ok....but there were a few strange messages while updating and other minor glitches.....

Outside. My first flight was OK until it came down a little bit in the bushes because return home is not exact, less than I expected......and I learned drones in 15-20 mph winds is not smart. But No harm done. Out tomorrow for my second try...... I love this technology.
Congrats on the new drone, they can be very fun, and for some they can be frustrating, especially initially when risk is high (from inexperience). Here's a few tips that come to mind:

The initial 6mos of flight is very important, money-wise. You don't want to be crashing in the first month, and that's the highest risk time-frame for most. I suggest you use the GO simulator when you're in for the night. Master reverse navigation (left is right when flying toward yourself) in the simulator, over an over......and then, when you fly....make sure you fly in OPEN AREAS without wires, trees or buildings nearby. Find a good place to fly and calibrate your compass out in the open.

Always watch your battery level, and as a beginner, always land before the battery level reached 25%. Don't fly downwind, if there is wind on your flight day. Always fly upwind.

Do not fly in your neighborhood, I would never recommend that, as the risk is too high, even trying to show your neighbor, go to an open field. I highly recommend planning your flight spots away from civilization. That's part of the fun is to find new places to fly using Google maps and street view. Even here in suburban So. Calif, I can find lots of places to fly in the hills and coastline to stay away from buildings, wires, towers and people.

Use Google Maps to make your own free maps, marking potential flight spots. When you save a Map Spot on your desktop, it will show up in your phone Google maps when signed into your google account. It's a pretty handy way to remember where you want to fly. Then update that map as you visit and see things in person. Make notes that may be helpful to others you want to share the map with.

Good luck, fly often, fly safe.

Last edited:
Reactions: chopperguy
Thanks John, a quick question what is the altitude that everybody usually sets for return to home in a suburban area. Just looking for a general number to set in there , until I can go measure buildings, I don't really have anything big near me I assume 200 feet will do it?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor