Is there a way to override No Fly Zones?

Can't fly within 5 miles of an airport. Some might let you fly within that radius if you contact the control tower.
We have a smaller airport in our town and the NFZ is only 1.5 miles away from center of it. But bigger airports are 5 right?

Reactions: shenzi105
Can't fly within 5 miles of an airport. Some might let you fly within that radius if you contact the control tower.
You are only required to notify the operator of an airport if operating within 5 miles, you are not required to get their permission.

is this true, I was under the impression that the regulation says that you cannot fly inside an airport Class (B, C, D or E) without prior-authorization or exemption. The diameter of an airport depends on its classification. 4 NM for a Class D airport.
When you fly within the airport's class radius, you need to get your exemption through the FAA online, and by courtesy, call the airport tower.

In my town 99.9% of real estate is within the 5 miles radius from the airport and a lot of work takes place within that radius.

There are restrictions for various 'Class' airspaces but the only one you are likely to violate with a drone is Class B (generally within 1.5 miles and under 700' AGL of a major airport) which would be considered a no-fly zone, but for most other airports
you do not need an exemption, permission, or anything else, you only need to provide notification of your intended flight if operating within 5 miles. This notification may be via phone, or via the electronic notification system if the airport supports it, or even via a voicemail message or email if a realtime contact is not possible.

From FAA.gov:

Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:

• Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  • Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  • Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  • Give way to manned aircraft
  • Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  • Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization
  • Register the aircraft (UAS over 0.55 lbs. and less than 55 lbs. can be registered online at registermyuas.faa.gov; UAS 55 lbs. or greater must be registered through the FAA's paper-based process)

Last edited:
It ask for transmitter serial number on mine. Plus the date you want to unlock it.
Found this. Says aircraft serial...
rszqb.jpg

Reactions: KevMo Photog
Found this. Says aircraft serial...
rszqb.jpg
Thats weird! On my screen it just your serial number and does not say AC. It says that your serial number is located in the Go app under General Settings and About. And in that spot all You'll find is the controller number. The aircraft serial is on my box which I had to activate my DJI Care tonight with. On your phone is it saying that it is the aircraft serial# they want?

You can cover the gps area with aluminium foil and electrical tape so your drone cannot pickup any satellites.

Altitude will be limited to 50m. There are no fail safes available but with permission from the ATC you can fly in the NFZ like at airports.

Seriously... what worked? It's set up by DJI so I gave it a 10% chance of actually working. :)

Correct, red zones cannot be unlocked (1.5 miles outside airport or prisons). I know some people won't like the airport being locked out but I think the benefits far out way the very few to whom this may not apply.
I was able to work inside a RED zone in Canada with proper clearances . . . the only tough hurdle is DJI . . without DJI "approval" ie . . UNLOCK . . . I could not START the machine let alone fly.

Note, you cannot unlock red NFZ (usually the 1-1.5 NM radius of an airport's center point).

This is not true, although it will be true for 99% of Phantom pilots.

Many of the airports in my state do not have a control tower to contact. Helipads are also included so that increases the NFZ areas as well. In the USA the FAA restricts drones to a 5 mile radius until the tower operator has been contracted and permission received to come closer. .

With DJI I need to be at my computer and have a internet connection and create a flight plan and get it approved for even an "enhance warning area.". Within 60 miles of my house more than 75% of the area is restricted with the multiple enhanced warning areas and so I need a flight plan registered with DJI every time I go to fly the drone or drive for an hour to get to a place where I can fly unrestricted. And I live in a rural area where I do not have cell service at my house nor even the ability to get AT&T to provide a DSL internet connection.

Many of the airports in my state do not have a control tower to contact. Helipads are also included so that increases the NFZ areas as well. In the USA the FAA restricts drones to a 5 mile radius until the tower operator has been contracted and permission received to come closer. .

With DJI I need to be at my computer and have a internet connection and create a flight plan and get it approved for even an "enhance warning area.". Within 60 miles of my house more than 75% of the area is restricted with the multiple enhanced warning areas and so I need a flight plan registered with DJI every time I go to fly the drone or drive for an hour to get to a place where I can fly unrestricted. And I live in a rural area where I do not have cell service at my house nor even the ability to get AT&T to provide a DSL internet connection.
Wow! Your screwed so to speak man!

In the USA the FAA restricts drones to a 5 mile radius until the tower operator has been contracted and permission received to come closer.
No, that's incorrect. With the possible exception of some Class B airspace, for recreational flying you only need to notify, not obtain permission, Please refer to post #24 above.

Also, you do not need any special DJI authorization for flight in warning or enhanced warning zones, only authorization zones.

DJI GEO System - Unlock Areas For Authorized Access

Last edited:
I'm glad I moved away from the North of Scotland as it is almost all a red area due to the RAF/NATO conducting low flying exercises there, I had planned on taking my quadcopter to the north west coast but after checking the Controlled / restricted areas I left it at home as nowhere I was going was outside the area. Now, I live just outside the Glasgow Airport Controlled Airspace or about 10 miles as the crow flies from the centre of the runway.
vBBGxOg.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor