Ipad or Ipad mini for fpv monitor

Reaction score
I'm a new flyer. Looking to use and Ipad or Ipad mini for my FPV monitor....suggestions or advice welcome...I'll introduce myself to the forum when the mass hysteria ends. It appears this site is getting blasted by new flyers!

Reactions: dirkclod
That's nothing new :)
I have been using a mini 2 from the start and works great for me plus it has cell service
and use it for other things .
Welcome to the forum Carznguitarz and when you do introduce yourself don't be surprised
if I do it again ;)

I use an iPad 3 Mini for flying, also own an iPhone 6 and iPad Pro, so I have options. Mini for me is the 'right' size / weight - I'd recommend that size, and I'd recommend minimum 32gb. I have 16gb & run out if memory at times, although not when flying using DJIGO app yet.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi /Carznguitarz and welcome.
I use an ipad 4 mini, works really well, only problem is mounting a pad on your Standard controller. There are several ways round this, there are solutions here on the forum and in YouTube.

I originally bought the iPad 4 mini when I bought the P4. It worked well but returned it for the iPad Pro standard size which has a little more compute power. No regrets

I got my P3S for Christmas and have had it up a couple times using my iPhone 6 but I also have a new iPad Pro 12.9. Is there any kind of mounts for it?

Possibly but I really think that iPad is going to be too heavy and bulky for the RC underneath. I'd advise against it - just offering informed opinion.

Gotta agree with Laurie. I'm using an iPad 4 mini, wouldn't like to go any bigger or heavier than this, it would definitely become unbalanced and cumbersome.

Most of the use with this setup is for a music video, and only about 10 separate clips.. It's going to be sitting at a table under a tent, so weight isn't a problem. Size was the goal for easy viewing by a few people at once. I have been told I could use the Ipad 2 64g that I have. The DJIGO app says iPad iOS 8.0 or later. Feel like I don't want to toss another 300-400 for an Ipad I'm only using for an FPV. I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone ever used the Ipad2 with the djigo app?

Most of the use with this setup is for a music video, and only about 10 separate clips.. It's going to be sitting at a table under a tent, so weight isn't a problem. Size was the goal for easy viewing by a few people at once. I have been told I could use the Ipad 2 64g that I have. The DJIGO app says iPad iOS 8.0 or later. Feel like I don't want to toss another 300-400 for an Ipad I'm only using for an FPV. I guess what I'm wondering is has anyone ever used the Ipad2 with the djigo app?
At 64g there no way I would like to use it on the controller. The ipad4mini is 30.5g and the Standard holder, ball mount, struggles to hold that without slipping, also the OEM plastic arm would flex like a real ,flexy thing,.

Reactions: Carznguitarz
At 64g there no way I would like to use it on the controller. The ipad4mini is 30.5g and the Standard holder, ball mount, struggles to hold that without slipping, also the OEM plastic arm would flex like a real ,flexy thing,.

It has an Ipad mount on it, plus if necessary, we'll have a custom one made or use it on a stand next to it. WILL IT WORK is the question.

I agree with what's been written above, I have a iPhone 7, mini2, big iPad Pro, and an iPad air available to me , when I fly. The overall winner?

When you balance size, weight and picture, it is the mini2.

WILL IT WORK is the question.

Post #3 provides answers to your new question which/will it work. You originally welcomed advice and have received it. iPad2 will probably not be suitable as its not powerful enough (lag) - which is why it is not in recommended list.

I have been using a iPad but received an iPad mini for Christmas and got a Drone Fans Mini2/3/4 quick release bracket from Amazon. Setup is much lighter and offers better access to sticks.

Not really - both have more than enough grunt, and both like all current tablets struggle in bright sunlight, I can't think of an advantage, and have both devices to fly with - I always use the mini.

The original thought was a much larger viewing are for 3-4 people to be watching at once, I guess we can broadcast it to ourselves on a large monitor! We'll just go with a mini! Case solved. THANKS!
Now the question is who sells micro usb with the the male micro on both ends?

Ok. Now I'm confused. I'm reading lots of posts saying no USB necessary, the 3's are all wifi...Way too early to throw in the towel.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl