iPad Mini 4 Wifi vs Cellular/GPS + iPad Storage capacity

Reaction score
hi Everyone,
I am sure this topic has been beaten to death. I got a Phantom 3 Pro (Lightbridge). And I got a mad deal, 16gb iPad Mini 4 Wi-Fi for $220 after taxes,new and didn't know that it doesn't have GPS. But have been Googling all night about wi-fi mini vs cellular mini. Also I can prob get the 16gb Cellular version for $379+taxes so that is an additonal $180 I'll be paying to go up the chain.

Now if I decide to stick with the Wi-Fi version, what am I actually missing out on:
1) Follow me mode?
2) To be able to set a new RTH point if I move from one location to another?
3) If I don't precache maps, I won't be able to see maps in the app if I travel to different and outside of range of any wi-fi connection?
4) Map orientation while the drone is flying?

Does not having a GPS impact any of the following:
1) Distance travelled?
2) Line of sight works just as well without GPS?
3) Lightbridge dependent on GPS at all?

Also, is a 16gb iPad ok or should i invest in a larger capacity? Is the iPad storing any videos/photos or is all of that all on the micro-SD card?

Thanks everyone!

1) Follow me mode?
2) To be able to set a new RTH point if I move from one location to another?
3) If I don't precache maps, I won't be able to see maps in the app if I travel to different and outside of range of any wi-fi connection?
Those are the only items you'll be missing out on with a Wi-Fi only device. You can cache your maps before you head out to fly -- like this.

Does not having a GPS impact any of the following:
1) Distance travelled?
2) Line of sight works just as well without GPS?
3) Lightbridge dependent on GPS at all?
No.

is a 16gb iPad ok
It is if you're only going to use it for flying and do not want to cache the video on your iPad too.

Is the iPad storing any videos/photos or is all of that all on the micro-SD card?
The videos will only be stored on your iPad if you have the "General Settings" --> "Video Cache" setting enabled in the DJI GO app. They will also be stored on your memory card either way.

Reactions: CyberAthlete
Noob here so I can't nor should I answer all the questions. But the RTH position is set by the GPS in the Phantom, not in your tablet.

I've got an iPad Mini 2 cellular coming (used off of eBay for $160) and will not subscribe to Verizon with it. I'll download any maps I might need prior to leaving the house. In my research, 16GB is fine, especially since this will be a dedicated flight tablet.

Your last three questions.... no issue.

I'd say fly with the iPad you've got and don't look back.

T

Those are the only items you'll be missing out on with a Wi-Fi only device. You can cache your maps before you head out to fly -- like this.

No.

It is if you're only going to use it for flying and do not want to cache the video on your iPad too.

The videos will only be stored on your iPad if you have the "General Settings" --> "Video Cache" setting enabled in the DJI GO app. They will also be stored on your memory card either way.

Thank you!!!! This helped me out a lot. I feel better now. I can stick with the iPad i got and if need be I guess i can always add on the Bad Elf GPS from what i've been reading about it.

Noob here so I can't nor should I answer all the questions. But the RTH position is set by the GPS in the Phantom, not in your tablet.

I've got an iPad Mini 2 cellular coming (used off of eBay for $160) and will not subscribe to Verizon with it. I'll download any maps I might need prior to leaving the house. In my research, 16GB is fine, especially since this will be a dedicated flight tablet.

Your last three questions.... no issue.

I'd say fly with the iPad you've got and don't look back.

T
You shouldn't need to download any maps as an iPad with cellular has the "built in" GPS module therefore it doesn't matter whether you activate it or not, the GPS is always enabled.

R
You shouldn't need to download any maps as an iPad with cellular has the "built in" GPS module therefore it doesn't matter whether you activate it or not, the GPS is always enabled.

Right, but wouldn't one prefer to have a map on the lower left of the app instead of a blank slate?

T

You have to download the maps at some point. Otherwise, you're just going to see black areas on the map. Maps can only be downloaded via an Internet connection.

You have to download the maps at some point. Otherwise, you're just going to see black areas on the map. Maps can only be downloaded via an Internet connection.
How can I download them? My iPad will only be used for DJI Phantom and Kindle. I specifically bought it for the P3P. Never owned a tablet prior to this :)

So caching is essentially the same as downloading? So the areas I cache once I won't have to worry about caching them again? I cached the area around my house. I guess i'll start caching the rest of Illinois now :)

Caching means they are stored offline for later use. The cache will eventually expire and be deleted. So, double-check the map in DJI GO while disconnected from the Internet to make sure you can see the areas where you plan to fly before heading out.

I had the exact same dilemma, bought the mini 4 without cellular and saved $180. I just got the garmin GLO for $80, and will tether my phone to the iPad. This will give me GPS and maps. And the next time I want to upgrade the iPad, I won't have to pay for cellular that I won't use.

Reactions: CyberAthlete
If you plan to ever use your iPad for Internet on a trip just get the cell version. You get GPS/Glossnas in the late iPad mini 4. I'm really glad I got the cell version. Either way get what works best for you!

Are you sure that the Home Point is set by using the coordinates of the tablet/phone and not those in the Phantom's GPS?

I'm assuming the Home Point is the coordinates/waypoint that the RTH mode uses?

T
Yes, I am sure. On initial start up and launch, the home point is set by the P3 and you hear the audio confirmation. During follow me or when manually changing the home point, it is based on the location of the RC assuming the RC has GPS via your mobile device.

Yes, I am sure. On initial start up and launch, the home point is set by the P3 and you hear the audio confirmation. During follow me or when manually changing the home point, it is based on the location of the RC assuming the RC has GPS via your mobile device.

Thanks. I'll do a "bit" more reading about this.

T

Base as in a 16GB iPad Mini? I have both the iPad Mini 2 16GB and iPad Mini 4 16GB. Both are used solely flying. I have plenty of storage space left... not even sure what I'm going to do with all of it :)

I ended up switching out the iPad Mini 4 16GB for the 64GB Cellular. Thanks for the tips. I can sleep easy tonight.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl