ipad mini 2 - do I need cellular?

Reading the posts above, it seems like we need the cellular for quality GPS. But do we need to have a cellular service to make it work? (like Verizon, ATT, Sprint).

If not, please explain how is cellular service going to work, without it.

Reading the posts above, it seems like we need the cellular for quality GPS. But do we need to have a cellular service to make it work? (like Verizon, ATT, Sprint).
If you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off, then you must have GPS on your mobile device. Many Android devices have GPS receivers (even if they don't have the option for cell service). For Apple devices, a cellular device is required (but does not have to be activated) since those are the only devices that contain a GPS receiver.

If you want to use the Follow Me feature or be able to reset the home point to your current location after taking off, then you must have GPS on your mobile device. Many Android devices have GPS receivers (even if they don't have the option for cell service). For Apple devices, a cellular device is required (but does not have to be activated) since those are the only devices that contain a GPS receiver.

I understand now; we do not need any cellular service, we just need the internal GPS receiver, which is only an option with the cellular models. I guess Apple knows when we have to pay more for a critical option! So then all I have to do is use my iphone as a hot spot, and then the maps will load if I am on a deserted pacific island?

So then all I have to do is use my iphone as a hot spot, and then the maps will load if I am on a deserted pacific island?
Yes. Using your iPhone as a hot spot will allow DJI GO to download the maps via your iPhone's Internet connection.

I understand now; we do not need any cellular service, we just need the internal GPS receiver, which is only an option with the cellular models. I guess Apple knows when we have to pay more for a critical option! So then all I have to do is use my iphone as a hot spot, and then the maps will load if I am on a deserted pacific island?
You only need GPS in your iPad or tablet for follow-me or resetting home to the current location of the controller.
But the Phantom's own GPS is all you need for everything else.
Downloading maps isn't critical. Having maps is of limited use anyway for most flying.

I've got an iPad mini 3- wifi only. And use my personal hot spot from iPhone to acquire the map. Sometimes I leave it on, but usually just acquire the map and shut it off. Works great for me.
Should I ever replace it I may get the cellular version, but not activate.

Last edited:
I used to have the iPad mini 2 (WiFi only edition without GPS) and found that instead of caching the maps beforehand it was far easier to just tether it to my phone via Bluetooth.

Job done - the maps loaded in wherever I decided to fly.

*Edit
You might want to go with a later generation iPad though because I found the frame rate to be a bit choppy and sometimes it even had tearing and green stripes.

I’ve read the iPad mini 4 works a lot better.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl