ipad mini 2 - do I need cellular?

Reaction score
Hi All,
First time here. I just received a Phantom 3 Advanced as a birthday gift! Unfortunately none of my idevices are compatible with the DJI GO app. I'm looking to pickup an iPad Mini 2. I can get a new one from the Apple Education store for $280 (wi-fi only) or I can find used wi-fi + cellular ones on ebay for a bit less. I've searched the forum here and from what I understand the only benefit to having the cellular model is that it will enable you to load maps at whatever location you're at, and probably enable 'follow-me' mode when it's released. Are there any other capabilities that you get if you have a cellular model?
Also, I had read here that if you do have the cellular model that you don't need to actually activate a plan with a carrier in order to use the GPS function. Can someone confirm that?
Thanks.
CJ

Reactions: iquadtography
I've searched the forum here and from what I understand the only benefit to having the cellular model is that it will enable you to load maps at whatever location you're at, and probably enable 'follow-me' mode when it's released. Are there any other capabilities that you get if you have a cellular model?
You can also stream live video to YouTube.

I had read here that if you do have the cellular model that you don't need to actually activate a plan with a carrier in order to use the GPS function.
That's correct. I'm doing this with my iPad Mini 2 right now.

Reactions: Chris Catalano
I bought a mini 2 just for my controller. I bought wifi only. If you know the area you will be flying ahead of time, just load it up on in the dji app before you go. It'll still be there.

Either that, or I use my phone as a Hotspot for just a minute to load the map on location.

Hi All,
First time here. I just received a Phantom 3 Advanced as a birthday gift! Unfortunately none of my idevices are compatible with the DJI GO app. I'm looking to pickup an iPad Mini 2. I can get a new one from the Apple Education store for $280 (wi-fi only) or I can find used wi-fi + cellular ones on ebay for a bit less. I've searched the forum here and from what I understand the only benefit to having the cellular model is that it will enable you to load maps at whatever location you're at, and probably enable 'follow-me' mode when it's released. Are there any other capabilities that you get if you have a cellular model?
Also, I had read here that if you do have the cellular model that you don't need to actually activate a plan with a carrier in order to use the GPS function. Can someone confirm that?
Thanks.
CJ
You have a good understanding of the needs and what you get with a GPS enabled device. I do think however that $280 for a wifi only Mini 2 seems kind of high.

Last edited:
One more advantage of cellular ipads over wifi only is they have the dedicated gps chip and therefore give you an accurate compass bearing no matter where you are. If you buy the wifi only one it is generally accurate in the cities etc but its method of locating itself is via wifi routers/towers in the area. If you're out in the middle of the country it will likely not return an accurate compass bearing. So if you plan on flying out of sight in the country the wifi version will generally not show where exactly the phantom is on the compass whereas the cellular version will.

I have both, but use the wifi only for the Phantom. I do as mentioned (cache maps ahead), but be careful as some times it wont load and you find out when you arrive at the location. Also you could change your mind and go to a different location. So I have my iphone and do a hotspot in this case.

GPS I bought the Dual XGPS 150A (Amazon), but my ipad is wifi only (no gps).

I have an ipad 2 air cellular on order. It was approx. $120 difference. In the scheme of things, it wasn't much to invest. I used mac mall, cheaper than a student discount + using their 6mo free interest. Oh and no tax + free shipping.

Aussies get pumped on Apple devices. I paid $570 for ipm2 cellular 32gb new and that's a good price.

Hud yeh it does use gps still. Ipm3 same as 2,same processor just Touch ID is the only real difference, total rip off

Hi All,
Thanks.
CJ
I just got P3S for my bday last week. Been a wild ride since. Like anything in aviation there's ups and downs. ;-) congrats and welcome [emoji106]

I saw that earlier, but unfortunately its a first generation mini, so its not compatible with the DJI GO app.

Ask the seller it seems listed as retina, all retina minis are 2 (or 3). I bought mine from this exact listing, different seller.

what would be the difference of having a hotspot+ipad(wifi) vs having a ipad(wifi+cellular)??

i have a iphone 6 plus that i can turn into a hotspot and a ipad air 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers