IOS App Called "GPS Plan"

Reaction score
After having some GPS acquisition issues with my A2 controller on a BVR flight with ground station (almost didn't get back), I started looking for an IOS app that would show me information on the GPS satellite configuration. I found this "GPS Plan" app for the iPhone that was pretty interesting. (Its free or you can pay to kill the ads). It shows the number and position of the satellites in the sky above an elevation mask (default 15 deg) and has a slider which shows the changes over time. Also it shows a plot of the number of satellites visible over a specified time period, and they change more than I would have thought.

If you are planning a 15 minute BVR flight, its nice to know ahead of time that the satellite count is going to 4 (as an example).

Anyway, thought I would share. I haven't seen any other write-ups on this app.

Search for "GPS Plan" in the app store.

Best Wishes!!

You should almost always get 9 satellites if you have an unobstructed view of the sky. The A2 has had GPS issues in the past including full on resets where you only get 9 sats. I think even the Inspire inherited some of those as it is derived from the A2.

Is it reporting on GPS satts or just satts in general?

Yes, I have already sent my A2 GPS module in for the "trade up" program for the new plus module. The problem I had I think was using it with 2.4 GHz ground station. The app predicts positions of the US GPS sats, QZSS, and GLONASS sats. I have QZSS and GLONASS turned off in settings. It also shows geometric dilution of precision over time.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl