Inverter

Reaction score
The Phantom charger (as well as most cell phone chargers) do not have any magnetics on the input. (transformer that needs sine wave to run correctly).

They take the line input, full wave rectify it, filter it, then run the SMPS inside that outputs the charging voltage.
A modified sine wave UPS should not hurt it and it should run just fine.

My car's cigarette lighter only has a 10 amp fuse. I remember that day as the fuse is buried upside down under the dash with 20 others and it takes a contortionist to find and see it.

My 200 watt inverter (Peak is 400 watts.), which also has an annoying fan in it as it does get warm, blows it in a few minutes if taxed. Probably needs at least a 20 amp circuit. I think it originally came with those large battery clips, but I sub'd those with a cigarette lighter plug and learned the hard way it didn't work.

I think my P4 charger measured out at 120 watts with the RC and battery plugged into it. So a 12 volt car x 10 amp circuit = 120 watts. Add something for the inverter's fan and circuit and maybe it was 150 watts, and way over the 10 amp fuse capability so it blew. A 200 watt unit, if loaded down with hungry stuff, likely would blow.

Reactions: SHRED
I use this and it works just fine:

8b451ba1a711f79cf5a215153294ff95.jpg
fec1c286b669e6ccabb14ec7690311e7.jpg

Don't worry. A modified sine wave inverter is safe to charge the battery. Just like you, I also like Bestek power inverter, but mine is 300W. I sometimes use the inverter to charge laptops. But the Bestek 200W power inverter is enough for you. Besides, it is portable enough. Good luck.

I keep a Bestek 300w (square wave version) in my work van and it charges everything just fine, it runs through a 15A fuse. It can also handle a ~20" LED TV.

Also, does your RV have an accessory (cig lighter) outlet close to where you want to charge the RC?

Don't know which quad you have, I have a P3P and looking at this one for $30:

https://www.amazon.com/Morpilot-Phantom-Intelligent-Battery-Charger/dp/B072JW39ZJ/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1512983827&sr=8-5&keywords=phantom+3+car+charger&th=1

There's also a model for the P4 and Mavic on that page... seems the Mavic model gets mixed reviews and at least one person said the 'magic smoke' came out of his. The DJI one costs $60-70, but may be worth it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan