Power inverter for car? What about this 300W?

Reaction score
Was looking for a power inverter for the car, and came across recommendations of Bestek. What do you guys think about this 300W one?

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-Power...&qid=1465673801&sr=8-2&keywords=300w+inverter

For some reason - there appears to be an almost identical 300W inverter:
Amazon.com: BESTEK 300W Power Inverter DC 12V to 110V AC Converter with 3.1A Dual USB Car Charger: Car Electronics

Both are listed on their website and I have no clue what the differences are, or if one is a newer model, etc. Any advice?

Any reason you'd recommend a different inverter from (one of) the 300W I listed above?

It looks like one has a higher USB charge output.
Either would be fine for charging phantom batteries but only one at a time.
I have a similar one myself.
You may find your car lighter socket states 150w maximum.
Larger inverters are usually connected directly to the battery.
It will still be OK but I wouldn't want to max it out for long.

I'm not sure on how much a certain vehicle's 12 v sockets can deal with, so that can be left up to others for that info. I'm personally using a CyberPower RoadTrip with 160w peak. It charged up by batteries on the way to the beach a couple of weeks ago at about the same time it took at home. I got mine at Best Buy but inverters are everywhere to the point I'd not order one. I'd just get one local.

I'm not sure on how much a certain vehicle's 12 v sockets can deal with, so that can be left up to others for that info. I'm personally using a CyberPower RoadTrip with 160w peak. It charged up by batteries on the way to the beach a couple of weeks ago at about the same time it took at home. I got mine at Best Buy but inverters are everywhere to the point I'd not order one. I'd just get one local.

I've got a MY 2015 Audi Q5. Any way I can know what the max is? I believe I have 3 different sockets throughout the car. Too bad no built-in inverter for the SUV! :(

I've got a MY 2015 Audi Q5. Any way I can know what the max is? I believe I have 3 different sockets throughout the car. Too bad no built-in inverter for the SUV! :(
I would assume in your vehicle's owner's manual. It is possible there may not be that detailed of information in there but you can still check.

So I just grabbed my owner's manual, and it states:
electrical accessories can be connected t every 12-volt socket
The power input must not exceed 120 watts

So, hmm.. 120 watts seems mighty limiting then! Especially on a high-end SUV :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Hickeroar
So I just grabbed my owner's manual, and it states:

So, hmm.. 120 watts seems mighty limiting then! Especially on a high-end SUV :(

My Brother has an S4 and I used a 300w inverter no problems at all traveling around NZ. I could only charge one battery at a time, but I think it was more the inverter than teh car... it kept stopping the moment I plugged in a second battery rather than popping the fuse...

I also travel with the anbee car charger now too. Its great. I charge one battery up front, and another in the back with the inverter.

I can't think of any good reason to charge a (DC) battery using a DC to AC inverter that you then plug a DJI charger that inverts it back to DC.

Iv'e got one of these and it works great:
Amazon.com: Anbee® Car Charger & Adapter for DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter (Professional & Advanced): Toys & Games

It's the smart circuit within the battery that controls the charging.

SB

This definitely seems to be the best option. I've had two instances with 90W inverters where my car battery keeled over and died shortly after using them. It could have been a big coincidence, but I stay far away from car power inverters now just to be safe.

I'd imagine that this sort of thing exists for lots of drone battery types.

This definitely seems to be the best option. I've had two instances with 90W inverters where my car battery keeled over and died shortly after using them. It could have been a big coincidence, but I stay far away from car power inverters now just to be safe.

I'd imagine that this sort of thing exists for lots of drone battery types.

Perhaps I will just get that then. I hate the very specific nature of those sorts of car adapters though. It's like you would need a specific car adapter for every device, rather than adapters that have USB or AC... :(

Perhaps I will just get that then. I hate the very specific nature of those sorts of car adapters though. It's like you would need a specific car adapter for every device, rather than adapters that have USB or AC... :(
Exactly, you gradually end up with a cupboard full.
As it it plenty of us have different charges for P1 P2 and p3 and they changed again for P4.
An inverter can run other low wattage things too like a laptop charger.
If we have a power cut I sometimes use mine to power a router in the house.
You'll probably also find you only use the 12V charger a handful of times if you normally set out with 2 or 3 already full.

To be fair, the alternative still results in just as many cords/cables in your car since you have to have the full-blown charger there anyway. And on top of that you have to have the inverter too. Seems like a little rubbermaid box will all the car chargers could just be thrown into the trunk when you're not using it so it's not a huge deal. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20