Installation of props

Reaction score
For some reason the props seem too tight to get on. I am using quite a bit of force and I am afraid I am going to break something. I have lined up the flat sides. In the setup video it looks like they just dropped on.

I have gotten them on and flown but I just tried another set and the same thing. This one I was able to get enough of the threads to show to put on the nut and tighten down to seat the prop.

Anyone else have this problem? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
Chuck

Mine were tough to take off! I guess it's a good thing that they fit so snug, rather have that than if they were really loose.

I'm afraid to break the prop or motor the props are so freaking tight.i literally have to hammer them down. Is this right? Also, how do you balance the props when they have a flat hole, the prop balances don't fit square holes well. Thanks

Roadkilt said:
I'm afraid to break the prop or motor the props are so freaking tight.i literally have to hammer them down. Is this right? Also, how do you balance the props when they have a flat hole, the prop balances don't fit square holes well. Thanks

I would definitely recommend NOT forcing (or hammering), the props, that would put pressure on the hub and perhaps cause it to crack - and you don't want that!!
I'd recommend trimming them or any other way you can get them to fit on without pressure.
most other props out there don't even have a notch/key to fit on, so it's really not that important to have such a tight fit (that you need to force them on).

I've found it ok to balance props just using the pointy ends of the balancers
but think some people prefer just one pointed, the other flat.

You shouldn't have to hammer or force them on. On a couple of my props I had to clean up the edge of the flat inside the prop so that it would slide onto the motor shaft. Once I did that they went on with gentle pressure. Getting them lined up dead on is the key.

re: balancing

I flip over one of the balancing cones so that the flat side goes against the bottom of the prop and use the other cone normally on the top. If you don't the prop might not sit true to your balancing axle.

For stock prop, if it gets stuck while you are pushing it down you should stop and remove it then try another prop or turn it 180 degrees and try it again. I smear a thin layer of silicone grease inside the prop hub and when it comes time for removal, it will be a snap.
If you can't remove the prop, insert a thin flat blade screwdriver tip between the motor and the prop, then tap the handle slightly with some light weight material like a piece of wood and move around until it comes off. I happened to have a spring load plunger that I use for opening the wrist watch case back. Most of the time, only one try is enough.

Re: Installation of props...easy fix

I wanted to balance the props but had a real problem getting them on and off. I was afraid to harm the motors or props with the crazy amount of force i needed to press the props into place. By using a very fine file, rounded on one side and flat on the other and just doing a tiny bit of filing I could get the props to slip on and off but still have the keyed hole intact. Major issue removed, and now I check the balance after every hard landing where prop damage may have happened.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl