Incoming update

I understand and certainly agree with the concerns expressed here. DJI is in a bad spot, the current regulatory situation is hazy at best, with various federal and local authorities imposing haphazard legislation, policy and restrictions based on perceived and largely unsubstantiated risks. As such, DJI has no clearly defined or established regulatory standards to fall back on.

Unfortunately, all it will take is one or two news worthy accidents, and DJI could find itself tied up in the courts indefinitely. Let's say a drone hits a plane and there is a loss of life. In that event, DJI would most certainly get sued by those impacted for selling an "unsafe" product. They would also likely get sued, if not charged criminally, for selling a none compliment product that puts the safety of the public at risk.

So, while the basis of these arguments may or may not be sound, DJI clearly understands the risks and is attempting to mitigate them by taking as proactive a stance as possible in being compliant with the various rules, laws and regulatory agencies. It sucks, I agree, but do they have a choice?
With this argument, auto manufactures could be sued because their cars were capable of exceeding the posted speed limit.

By reading the DJI text, I get the understanding that even if you stay on the current firmware, if you update the Go app on your phone/tablet, this will require you to register too once the update has completed to even use the app

What's the bets that when you do this, the software will then not allow you to fly until you've added a drone to your account, meaning a forced firmware upgrade to your bird or a white plastic brick...

I understand and certainly agree with the concerns expressed here. DJI is in a bad spot, the current regulatory situation is hazy at best, with various federal and local authorities imposing haphazard legislation, policy and restrictions based on perceived and largely unsubstantiated risks. As such, DJI has no clearly defined or established regulatory standards to fall back on.

Unfortunately, all it will take is one or two news worthy accidents, and DJI could find itself tied up in the courts indefinitely. Let's say a drone hits a plane and there is a loss of life. In that event, DJI would most certainly get sued by those impacted for selling an "unsafe" product. They would also likely get sued, if not charged criminally, for selling a none compliment product that puts the safety of the public at risk.

So, while the basis of these arguments may or may not be sound, DJI clearly understands the risks and is attempting to mitigate them by taking as proactive a stance as possible in being compliant with the various rules, laws and regulatory agencies. It sucks, I agree, but do they have a choice?
Are you saying I can sue Chevrolet if a Camaro driver kills someone while driving drunk? Same concept. I cant sue Crossman if a kid shoots another kid in the eye with one of their BB guns. Thats users responsibility.

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
Things have gotten really stupid. It is all politics and money. So can a drunken driver sue a whiskey company for what their booze did to him. They have disclaimers to use product responsibly.
So, why can't we file a class action lawsuit against DJI for not living up to the original product performance they sold us. Why don't they stick to the disclaimer to use product responsibly.
Yup. Im with you on that. If they sold me a drone that supposly flys 2 miles and now only flys 160 feet, isnt that false advertising? Im just asking cuz thats how it sounds to me.

Reactions: sebastian.bilbao
so what is the best firmware, how does one get it and how?
i just got my phantom 3 standard 2 days ago and it updated, am soooo learning all this

Funny, I was reading this article which says if we DON'T upgrade we will have our flying experience severely limited. It says "If you do not update the firmware on your drone to give DJI the information that it wants, the device will be restricted in the following fashion:

Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high. The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

The “feature” in this case is the ability for the drone to know about the area in which it operates and the legal requirements thereof.

So how is DJI meant to limit what we can do if we don't upgrade? I would much rather stay on the current firmware, which works fine, than move up to one which watches and controls my P3P's every move.

Funny, I was reading this article which says if we DON'T upgrade we will have our flying experience severely limited. It says "If you do not update the firmware on your drone to give DJI the information that it wants, the device will be restricted in the following fashion:

Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high. The feature applies to all aircraft (except standalone A3 and N3) that have been upgraded to the latest firmware or when using future versions of the DJI GO and GO 4 apps.

The “feature” in this case is the ability for the drone to know about the area in which it operates and the legal requirements thereof.

So how is DJI meant to limit what we can do if we don't upgrade? I would much rather stay on the current firmware, which works fine, than move up to one which watches and controls my P3P's every move.

That is what I thought as well, and it make more sense

Just one less thing we can do with a drone. It's been the story since the beginning, and will probably continue.

I just did the update and flew one battery.........was bombarded with the strong interference warning, which I only saw once before in all my flights. the only other difference I saw.....or maybe just imagination.....was the bird wobbled badly while descending. I'm 99% positive it didn't act like that before the update.

By reading the DJI text, I get the understanding that even if you stay on the current firmware, if you update the Go app on your phone/tablet, this will require you to register too once the update has completed to even use the app

What's the bets that when you do this, the software will then not allow you to fly until you've added a drone to your account, meaning a forced firmware upgrade to your bird or a white plastic brick...
Updating either the app or the firmware requires accepting the new EULA at the peril of bricking your aircraft, if you do not accept its terms. You'll need to consult an attorney to fully understand the far reaching implications of the new EULA terms in the 20 pages of legalese!

I just did the update and flew one battery.........was bombarded with the strong interference warning, which I only saw once before in all my flights. the only other difference I saw.....or maybe just imagination.....was the bird wobbled badly while descending. I'm 99% positive it didn't act like that before the update.

I've always had random strong interference warning's, not really sure what why it's happening. The wobbly descent doesn't sound good tho

I'm a little worried here. The DJI go app has just updated all by itself. I thought I had to give my approval before any software on my device was altered. The way I understand it, is that I will now loose camera functionality on July 1st unless I update the firmware. If this is true, I don't have the option to use the current firmware, like in the past. Is there something in the app settings that allows automatic updates?

I'm a little worried here. The DJI go app has just updated all by itself. I thought I had to give my approval before any software on my device was altered. The way I understand it, is that I will now loose camera functionality on July 1st unless I update the firmware. If this is true, I don't have the option to use the current firmware, like in the past. Is there something in the app settings that allows automatic updates?
Not sure if you have Apple or Android, but on a Android device you can go to the Google Play Store and turn off auto updates for all apps or for individual apps. If you have that feature turned on you just gave approval.

Not sure if you have Apple or Android, but on a Android device you can go to the Google Play Store and turn off auto updates for all apps or for individual apps. If you have that feature turned on you just gave approval.
And I don't believe you lose functionality if you don't update FW, it's if you don't reregister your drone with their servers.

And I don't believe you lose functionality if you don't update FW, it's if you don't reregister your drone with their servers.
...and accept the brand new 20 page EULA, written in legalese unintelligible to a layman, requiring a lawyer to interpret and understand....:eek:

...and accept the brand new 20 page EULA, written in legalese unintelligible to a layman, requiring a lawyer to interpret and understand....:eek:
Sounds scary hey Monday here in NZ turned on djigo4 no update here yet,had the notification but that's it reckon I should re log in to dji or just wait till it tells me,,thanks :) ian

Sounds scary hey Monday here in NZ turned on djigo4 no update here yet,had the notification but that's it reckon I should re log in to dji or just wait till it tells me,,thanks :) ian
The firmware update is optional, so unless installed, the EULA doesn't kick in. Turn off auto updates on your tablet, to avoid an app update that will require accepting the EULA there, too!

The firmware update is optional, so unless installed, the EULA doesn't kick in. Turn off auto updates on your tablet, to avoid an app update that will require accepting the EULA there, too!
OK thanks :)

flew half a battery today on the new update.......no strong interference warnings....which is a bit odd as nothing changed here in the yard, but now getting compass and imu errors. all that crap went away for me after the previous update.....now its back.

flew half a battery today on the new update.......no strong interference warnings....which is a bit odd as nothing changed here in the yard, but now getting compass and imu errors. all that crap went away for me after the previous update.....now its back.
IOS ? I don't see Android listed yet .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart