Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

In Theory... Facetime in Flight?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kamgopro, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Kamgopro

So, in theory... will a mobile phone be able to Facetime or Skype another mobile device without interference? I am considering attaching a mobile phone to the bottom of my Phantom 1.1.1 to stream FPV to another phone. I wouldn't feel comfortable letting it out of line of sight but it might be a "cheap" way to see live video feed. I would like to cover my basis to ask if anyone thinks it might interfere with the tx signal? As long as its over the network and not bluetooth(2.4), would it be ok?

2. Keuka

This should work fine - I'm going to try it today. I've made a mount for the iPhone. Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=24729

3. MadMitch88

This is an interesting idea I was thinking of trying myself.

Does Facetime transmit video in 720p or 1080p? I find the 640x480 preview in the DJI Vision app to be increasingly inadequate and I'd like to upgrade the live video feed while I'm flying. If Facetime can transmit HD video over a good 4G connection then I think it would be a cool way to fly FPV using a large tablet and seeing high-resolution.

4. QYV

QYV

please post pictures! That sounds innovative, amusing and I'd love to see a Phantom flying around with an iPhone hanging off the bottom doing facetime

5. Buckaye

what network? Wifi? or Cellular?

The instruction manual suggests keeping your phone away from the equipment - so if you're thinking cellular - I'd have some concern there without really checking into it carefully.

on the wifi - I know it can operate at 5Ghz which shouldn't interfere with the 2.4.

6. macheung

It would work, but I am not sure if it is cheap or effective as FaceTime is sometimes pretty laggy and may cut out at any time. 2 iphone with data plan cost a lot more than a fpv camera (no go pro, just any fpv cam) and vtx /rx monitor setup.

7. locoworks

i wouldn't be trying it with an decent iphone, maybe get an older phone to try it with.