IMU and compass calibration

Personal observation though I admit speculation at this point.
I did a cold (50 degree) AC IMU one evening to reduce warm up time and the next day and since, horizon was tilted. I believe others have seen gimbal tilt issues corrected by IMU.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
So, you're connecting one action with a disassociated reaction. I had the bog-standard horizon issue before I undertook a 4c (that's 38f) IMU calibration and it's still there. The IMU calibration has no effect on the operation of the gimbal, period.

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
So, you're connecting one action with a disassociated reaction. I had the bog-standard horizon issue before I undertook a 4c (that's 38f) IMU calibration and it's still there. The IMU calibration has no effect on the operation of the gimbal, period.
There might be some confusion because doing a gimbal calibration after doing the imu is often recommended. It's the gimbal cal that, hopefully, clean up the horizon tilt. It didn't in one of my birds. Corrected the tilt in the Go app.

There might be some confusion because doing a gimbal calibration after doing the imu is often recommended. It's the gimbal cal that, hopefully, clean up the horizon tilt. It didn't in one of my birds. Corrected the tilt in the Go app.
Correct. Unfortunately, I've found the horizon tilt is practically impossible to fix completely. I've tried the app at home and in the air, cali at home and in the air and I still have the darn thing. The only thing I've found to temp fix it is to yaw hard in the opposite direction then let it hover. That seems to fix it for a while but it comes back.

I flew 2 days ago no issues went out today calibrated successful on app when I took off noticed immediately there was a compass issue tried landing with difficulty wouldn't let me. Re calibrated several more times changed batteries and still having the same problem now I'm afraid it's gonna cause damage while trying to bring it down is flipping over.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Did you attempt the recal in the same location? When the bird starts up ok and then gives you a compass error message after you take off, it usually means that there is some type of magnetic interference (e.g. Lots of metal nearby) at the site. What happens is that the bird initializes everything in the distorted field and when you climb out of range of the anomaly, the bird thinks that there is a compass problem because of the now undistorted field

Did you attempt the recal in the same location? When the bird starts up ok and then gives you a compass error message after you take off, it usually means that there is some type of magnetic interference (e.g. Lots of metal nearby) at the site. What happens is that the bird initializes everything in the distorted field and when you climb out of range of the anomaly, the bird thinks that there is a compass problem because of the now undistorted field
I was going to ask the exact same question... when I had this issue I moved 50 feet and had no issue, didn't need to recalibrate and it flew perfectly.

According to the video Dan posted, the surface for IMU Cal needs to be perfectly level.

Is there a tolerance for this? I ask because 0.0 on both X and Y axes is nearly impossible....I've checked and shimmed about 5 surfaces in an attempt to achieve perfection. The best I'm getting is 0.2-0.5 on X and Y.

Will that suffice for IMU Calibration?

W

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga