IMU and compass calibration

The compass should be calibrated per this guide.

It's a good idea to calibrate the IMU when:
  • Your Phantom is shipped in the mail
  • You crash/drop your Phantom
  • Your Phantom is not able to hover/yaw in place
  • After installing new firmware (some people prefer to skip this calibration)

Last edited:
I haven't done an IMU or compass calibration for 7 months, and I've flown all over the UK and Europe...
Some people do all kinds of things that are not recommended and suffer no consequences as a result. Unfortunately, that's not the case for everyone.

No harm usually results from following the best practices, so that's what I always recommend.

Some people do all kinds of things that are not recommended and suffer no consequences as a result. Unfortunately, that's not the case for everyone.

No harm usually results from following the best practices, so that's what I always recommend.

Yes, I agree with you, albeit some follow best practices and they still have issues. I know one is supposed to calibrate the compass at a new location and actually, I now recall I did calibrate the compass when I was last in Ireland, as the app requested I did. However, I don't recall seeing best practice mentioned for the IMU by DJI - I'm not even sure the IMU Cali procedure is even mentioned in the manual, is it?

I don't recall seeing best practice mentioned for the IMU by DJI - I'm not even sure the IMU Cali procedure is even mentioned in the manual, is it?
The manual is very sparse in general. That's why we need forums like this one to fill in the missing details ;)

The manual is very sparse in general. That's why we need forums like this one to fill in the missing details ;)
Very true.. I've noticed that some of the "expert" vids for say IMU Cali are most amusing. I really like the one where the AC is setting on antistatic mat on a wooden workbench. Oh yes, that'll be nice and flat and soooo stable too...

This might be the right thread for something I've been wondering...

What are some of the varying techniques for calibrating the compass?

Initially, I was holding it in my hand and turning just the bird but even I don't like that. Hard to keep it straight and level.

I saw a video of a guy holding it in his hands and turning his entire body in a circle... hadn't seen that before.

I have a small, light, plastic turntable and was wondering if that would make it even more accurate, or if that's overkill...

Just curious what others do!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This might be the right thread for something I've been wondering...

What are some of the varying techniques for calibrating the compass?

Initially, I was holding it in my hand and turning just the bird but even I don't like that. Hard to keep it straight and level.

I saw a video of a guy holding it in his hands and turning his entire body in a circle... hadn't seen that before.

I have a small, light, plastic turntable and was wondering if that would make it even more accurate, or if that's overkill...

Just curious what others do!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I hold it turning my entire body, as per the DJI "How to Fly" tutorial video, here...

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Initially, I was holding it in my hand and turning just the bird but even I don't like that. Hard to keep it straight and level. I saw a video of a guy holding it in his hands and turning his entire body in a circle... hadn't seen that before.
That's how it's supposed to be done. It dosen't have to be level as far as I know. It's the IMU calibration that it has to be completely level I do believe. I think the IMU calibration is to get the camera/gimbal completely level with the horizon if it's not. But don't go by what I say... I'm no expert!

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's how it's supposed to be done. It dosen't have to be level as far as I know. It's the IMU calibration that it has to be completely level I do believe. I think the IMU calibration is to get the camera/gimbal completely level with the horizon if it's not. But don't go by what I say... I'm no expert!

Sent from my SM-T350 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Try watching the DJI video above.
The IMU calibration isn't to calibrate the gimbal; oddly, it's the gimbal calibration that's used for that. He's an explanation of what it does....
DJI Phantom

Personal observation though I admit speculation at this point.
I did a cold (50 degree) AC IMU one evening to reduce warm up time and the next day and since, horizon was tilted. I believe others have seen gimbal tilt issues corrected by IMU.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl