Improve stability on landing

Reaction score
Is there anything that makes the landing a bit more stable and prevents the drone from tipping on its side? I´m thinking if there is anything that can be attached to the drone?

I noticed on my first few flights with the new drone that it almost bounces off the ground when it lands and then easily tips on its side, it comes down pretty fast and hard, maybe its me who doesn't master the landing yet, but i tried to set her down slowly but it still goes down pretty hard and fast.

practice makes perfect
tho guess the key is to kill the throttle just as the legs are about to touch the ground for the first time.

However,. if you're flying in a windy environment, taking off from a very limited space (like a balcony).
the key skill to develop is the ability to hand-catch your Phantom instead of trying to land it on a hard surface.

Just land slowly then shut off the motors by holding the throttle (left stick) all the way down for a few seconds. I haven't practiced too much yet I can usually land on a small target even with some wind

Don't try to do the CSC thing with both sticks. That's a sure way to tip the aircraft over.

-- Roger

i've got the taller/wider legs you can get off ebay, makes it alot more stable & gives more clearance between the gimbal & the ground

I have the tall wide legs and skids from a broken set of legs..
Works really well...
qu5y2edu.jpg

The Phantom said:
Okay that sounds good, i also need more clearance between ground and gimbal. What are they called ?
these are the one's i bought LINKp

IMG_1024_zps213e8f0f.jpg

Yes both of them look much more stable, i think i will order a pair of wider legs immediately. Thanks for the help.

Just catch it. Bring it down slowly until it's within reach, grab a leg and hold down on the left stick until it shuts off. No risk of tipping over and breaking a prop.

I use my gimbals a little forward, so I had a lot of front tipping, and the props took most of the suffering,
solved adding a weight-less plastic tube (the ones used with balloons for the kids) to each extended leg with zip ties,
guess would work with stock legs too.

Attachments

• SAM_1022.JPG
    SAM_1022.JPG
    525.6 KB · Views: 934
  • SAM_1024.JPG
    SAM_1024.JPG
    506.9 KB · Views: 863
When changing the landing struts, what do you use to unscrew the compass? The screws are absolutely minute, and I don't have anything that could undo them.

fastsmiles said:
Has anyone tried these? I saw them on ebay.

I have a similar one. Not only did it made my Phantom a lot heavier, my first landing with it was such an epic fail cause it landed one one rubber leg first which snagged the concrete and kinda recoiled causing a tip-over. Took it out right after and just kept stock legs with extensions. :lol:

HarryT said:
When changing the landing struts, what do you use to unscrew the compass? The screws are absolutely minute, and I don't have anything that could undo them.

I use one of these. Indeed they're really tiny.

About the tipping over, in my case it also was the props that took the beating, the thing that disturbed me the most with the tipping over was when the two props that touched the ground couldn't rotate but i still could hear the motors working and trying to rotate the props , which of course was impossible because the two props was stopped by the ground, the sound the motors made did not sound as a healthy thing. It took me like 5 seconds before i got the motors shut down. I don't know how harmful that actually is for the motors but the sound wasn't a nice one. Well now i have ordered the wider landing gears for 5 USD from ebay, hopefully they are more stable.

If you can't land smoothly or at least catch it you really need to take a look at why. I've been flying RC aircraft for 30 years so its really no big deal for me to land very soft or catch it in flight. Practice, practice, practice........

Landing is an essential skill.

Practice x 3.

Compared to 450 heli skids, the phantom is huge.

wow easy boy, if you read me initial post you will see that it is my first couple of times flying, i have not been flying for 30 years, so maybe thats the difference between us. I think its a perfectly fine idea to buy a pair of wider landing gears in order to get more stability and to avoid the drone tipping over. And of course i will practice, but in the meantime the wide landing gears are perfect, and not only that they add stability, they also gets the unbalanced gimbal that constantly touches the ground with it´s left side off the ground.

Yes sure its so easy that you only need to practice three times, well i think its good to have more stability regardless of if you have already practiced your three times or not? I have a feeling that even if you have landed 10.000 times it can still happen that your drone tips over. It seems to be a lot of people who has them anyway.

The Phantom said:
wow easy boy, if you read me initial post you will see that it is my first couple of times flying, i have not been flying for 30 years, so maybe thats the difference between us. I think its a perfectly fine idea to buy a pair of wider landing gears in order to get more stability and to avoid the drone tipping over. And of course i will practice, but in the meantime the wide landing gears are perfect, and not only that they add stability, they also gets the unbalanced gimbal that constantly touches the ground with it´s left side off the ground.

Yes sure its so easy that you only need to practice three times, well i think its good to have more stability regardless of if you have already practiced your three times or not? I have a feeling that even if you have landed 10.000 times it can still happen that your drone tips over. It seems to be a lot of people who has them anyway.

I made statements not judgements.

"Practice, practice, practice" (practice x 3) is a common 'old chestnut' (orig. a British slang term) in American speak if you will.

It was not intended to be pejorative or a literal comparison.

I tried the cf landing gear type .. after a slight crash the main support tube was cracked under the red holders .. so I got the wide legs and attached the skids...much stronger and safer...M

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl