Improve stability on landing

I believe it is mostly in technique. When I am ready to land it, I hover about 8' over the landing spot and then slowly but steadily descend all the way to the ground. When I have hesitated a foot or two off of the ground and tried to tweak it, it tends to get squirrelly. Slow and steady works best, IMO. That's real it. There's no magic trick.

The Phantom said:
... the thing that disturbed me the most with the tipping over was when the two props that touched the ground couldn't rotate but i still could hear the motors working and trying to rotate the props , which of course was impossible because the two props was stopped by the ground, the sound the motors made did not sound as a healthy thing. It took me like 5 seconds before i got the motors shut down. I don't know how harmful that actually is for the motors but the sound wasn't a nice one.

+1

Is there anyone that tried to use these as skid extenders on the vision+ ? How light are they? I'm asking because they look nice and are only 10 bucks free shipping. i want to order them but need ideas how to mount them first.

Attachments

• s800-evo-base-tube-no26.jpg
    s800-evo-base-tube-no26.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 363
One technique I learned when landing when its a bit windy.
Part of the problem was the props are running for a few sec after you go to low throttle.
This kept the phantom a bit light making a gust easier to tip it over.

Try this: the moment you touch down do a CSC shutdown. You need to use this technique: FIRST throttle down to low, then other stick down and both sticks to a CSC shutdown position.
The throttle has to go low first.

It works very well to get the motors off without causing and tipping due to shutdown technique.

Tom

If you just want to practice landing without taking a chance on tipping over, you can make a simple set of practice sticks. Just pick up a 1/4" dowel (they come in 3 foot length) and a bag of zip ties at any hardware store. The dowel is easy to cut or even break to length. Zip tie three of them on your landing struts and you're good to go. Your landing strut should still make full contact with the ground after you tie on the practice sticks.
Obviously not practical for flying and shooting video as the sticks will get in the frame. But for just practicing landings they should work fine for you. And it costs less than $5 and you don't have to wait for delivery.
Practice on a level surface first, preferably dirt. Grass can snag the sticks if you let the Phantom wander while you're descending.

Attachments

• practice sticks 2.jpg
    practice sticks 2.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 313
  • practice sticks 1.jpg
    practice sticks 1.jpg
    504.8 KB · Views: 335
After breaking a number of props trying to land when I first started, (and being embarrassed in front of the onlookers) I gave up and started hand catching it. Never had a problem since. For me, hand catching is the way to go. Very easy to do, looks impressive and not one broken prop(or scar) since I started this 4 months ago. And no need for ugly contraptions underneath that get in the way of the camera to help stabilize it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj