IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

I do not fly in or around NFZ's so I can not verify that the combination does not have a problem with NFZ's ( I understand the thread is about NFZ's and to "stay on track".) Sorry I got off track. When I get a chance I will go to a NFZ and test it. However, the next three days high in MSP is -1, -8 and 2. When I get a chance I will report back, for those who are interested.

Many are reporting DJI go App 2.5.1 is crashing after 10-15 seconds.

I have not observed this behavior so far. Need investigation.

It is pointing towards failure of NFZ server.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimerb
DJI app 2.5.1 on my iPad mini crashed too. Changed to airplane mode and it stopped crashing. This confirms issues with DJI's NFZ servers as app tries to connect to these servers and in case of a problem with servers, it crashes.

Do we want a server based solution? Can any hacker screw the server at any time? Does DJI have enough server security?

Last edited:
Oh no, fu*** hell. I had auto app update on my ipad and i thought the whole time i had the old app. I can sell the P3 now. I have left ios 8 and the old phantom3 FW version (the FW that brings you waypoints) on purpose and now i have this god **** new app version on the device, i guess it isnt even ios8 compatible. This is it guys

I unlocked a yellow zone last night for next weekend.

It took all of 20 seconds - More of a legal disclaimer for a city I don't really want to fly around due to people walking dogs etc.

My focus is on the countryside where there are no yellow zones and you can fly at will.

Would I prefer not to have to unlock a zone? Yes

It's not a massive hardship - I can see how some folk with NFZ's etc can be an issue.

Just need to forward plan or buy another companies product.

Personally for the money paid and the fact that I am heavily invested in the Phantom 3 series accessories I'm happy to just plod along with the new routines.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Why has this thread title been updated to include 2.5.1? Talk about just spreading about crap, untruths and conspiracy theories.. No wonder DJI don't seem bothered about participating this forum and concentrates on RCGroups, the calibre of peoples thinking ability seems higher.

JFYI, 2.5.1 for IOS reverts from a new method of polling the online NFZ database back the the original way it did in 2.4.3 and below. The app crash after release was due to load on the on-line JSON file being queried by the app ( that's why it didn't happen with no internet )..

Would somebody be so kind as to post instructions on exactly how to register and to self authorize for flight in a restricted zone (which is now over my house)? I'm sure it's in one of the very long threads but I've invested 30 minutes plus I've searched the DJI website and it would be awesome to have a little help.

Also looking for this. I could only find an article on PCWorld on the upcoming change but no details on how to do it. Also have a NFZ over my house for a national park that is 5 miles away. Does not make sense at all.

When the originally sparse NFZ's were established a couple years ago, many said "I'm no where near those, and I have no desire to fly there." Then they added more. Still, most said it's no issue. Well, now you all see the dilemma with turning a blind eye to the practice. I don't doubt that soon, anti-droners will be allowed to register their property as NFZ, and you'll have so many NFZ's everywhere that flying will become impossible.

Reminds of the "first they came for XYZ and I said nothing" parable... This is government. This is the land of the free, home of the brave. Enjoy.

Reactions: bighi
I see no difference between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3. The NFZs popped up in 2.4.2. Neither stopped me from powering up to a 1.2m hover in my part of the world. No unlock prompts either.

I'm at 1.3.20 and haven't been past 1.4. The RC is at 2.5.

Reactions: Καλλιστώ
Why has this thread title been updated to include 2.5.1? Talk about just spreading about crap, untruths and conspiracy theories.. No wonder DJI don't seem bothered about participating this forum and concentrates on RCGroups, the calibre of peoples thinking ability seems higher.

JFYI, 2.5.1 for IOS reverts from a new method of polling the online NFZ database back the the original way it did in 2.4.3 and below. The app crash after release was due to load on the on-line JSON file being queried by the app ( that's why it didn't happen with no internet )..

Wow and while I appreciate your input over at RCG your assessment of this forum's usefulness to DJI is poorly thought out. RCG, while a pretty decent resource for the well initiated, its accessibility and structure is less than user friendly and, for the most part, incomprehensible. This forum aims to be accessible to all people who are interested in DJI Phantom tech not all MultiRotor information and debate. It would definitely be a show of good faith if DJI would openly respond to consumer concerns here as well as in some cryptically organized general forum. It actually seems DJI should be paying attention to forums that specifically target their products regardless of whether they don't like what some people say there.

By the way, I am a member of both forums and I just have to say that your assessment of the "people's thinking ability" at the RCG is skewed by your preferences. I see just as many conspiracy theories, DJI haters and newbie misunderstandings in that forum as exists here. For example the following conspiracy theories appear at RCG I know you will recognize the first one as you immediately responded to it and defended DJI as if they wrote your paycheck! Please stop denigrating the staff and members of this forum, it is not productive for you or DJI.

"Several App updates ago, we had to give "In App Purchases" permission to the DJI Go app.
Now we are being asked to provide Method of Payment. Billable phone, CC#, etc...
So when is the 'Pay to Unlock' part going to be implemented? I'm sure it will only be a nominal charge, say $0.99 a pop, but still.
We are strongly assured DJI does not want this information.
So who shall we be enriching with our in app permission 'purchases'?
And further down the road?
"....deviation from your approved flight plan will result in loss of your Flight Safety Deposit..."
Throk smells money. Lots of money."

"And what is more ridicules is almost the whole of the Scottish Highlands and even the Isle of Harris in the Outer Hebrides.
This is absolutely outrageous, looks like another Inspire for eBay."

"My problem (and probably many others) is the collection of the data! Provide the information so we can be informed without collecting the data and I'm more or less good with the program.
And really? DJI's 3rd party provider won't release our info unless compelled? How long do you think it would take for the FAA to compel that info.
Kyokushin has brought up many pertinent points on this subject along with an actual example. Think this won't happen in the U.S.?"

Reactions: NRJ and Reed L
I see no difference between 2.4.2 and 2.4.3. The NFZs popped up in 2.4.2. Neither stopped me from powering up to a 1.2m hover in my part of the world. No unlock prompts either.

I'm at 1.3.20 and haven't been past 1.4. The RC is at 2.5.

FYI --The NFZs also show up in 2.4.0

Would somebody be so kind as to post instructions on exactly how to register and to self authorize for flight in a restricted zone (which is now over my house)? I'm sure it's in one of the very long threads but I've invested 30 minutes plus I've searched the DJI website and it would be awesome to have a little help.

So here is a whole page that tells us exactly what we need...with no links and no instructions. As hard as I try I cannot figure out how to create a verified account and how to find the link to self authorize. I have googled and searched.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Dear Forum,
The FAA has a customer support contact number for registration.
The AMA gave me this number 1-844-244-3565, I called and the FAA advisor could not answer any questions about rules.
I was told the FAA will get back to me via email regarding my question.
I am very concerned the FAA is looking to make some people examples to strengthen their authority.
FAA law demands that I call all Heliports within 5 miles of were I am flying.
I found one 4.4 miles from my residency, It was the Arena were the Florida Panthers play.
I called and they refused to give me the contact number of the person in charge of the Heliport, all they provided was the persons name and email.

The next day I received his email Please Read.
On Jan 12, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Embrey, Tom <[email protected]> wrote:
William,
Let me look into this as we only have paperwork for landings onsite for helicopters. Did they provide any type of paperwork for you to fill out?

This is what your up against, the FAA provided no information to Heliports.
So my question is can I legally fly in front of my house?
Bye the way I am still waiting for the Florida Panthers and the FAA emails.
Best Regard,
William E. Burrows Jr.

I'm quite grateful for this forum, this thread and the original poster who is maintaining it. I've learned infinitely more about the issue, and how to potentially deal with it here than could ever be possible from the official DJI responses on their forum.

Many are reporting DJI go App 2.5.1 is crashing after 10-15 seconds.

I have not observed this behavior so far. Need investigation.

It is pointing towards failure of NFZ server.
And THIS ladies and gentleman, is why this is not such a good idea. You are relying on DJI (or a contractor) to keep a complicated server system up and running. Forever.

Reactions: Apilot101
Dear Forum,
The FAA has a customer support contact number for registration.
The AMA gave me this number 1-844-244-3565, I called and the FAA advisor could not answer any questions about rules.
I was told the FAA will get back to me via email regarding my question.
I am very concerned the FAA is looking to make some people examples to strengthen their authority.
FAA law demands that I call all Heliports within 5 miles of were I am flying.
I found one 4.4 miles from my residency, It was the Arena were the Florida Panthers play.
I called and they refused to give me the contact number of the person in charge of the Heliport, all they provided was the persons name and email.

The next day I received his email Please Read.
On Jan 12, 2016, at 4:21 PM, Embrey, Tom <[email protected]> wrote:
William,
Let me look into this as we only have paperwork for landings onsite for helicopters. Did they provide any type of paperwork for you to fill out?

This is what your up against, the FAA provided no information to Heliports.
So my question is can I legally fly in front of my house?
Bye the way I am still waiting for the Florida Panthers and the FAA emails.
Best Regard,
William E. Burrows Jr.

FAA guidance for hobbyist RC fliers does not specifically require notification of a heliport. On the other hand, COAs are specifically required for commercial operators within 3 miles of a heliport, the language of the rule does not include such notification for hobbyists.

See the following for clarification
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary...9_Unmanned_Aircraft_Operations_in_the_NAS.pdf

The specific Hobby language is provided here.

Model Aircraft (Hobbyist).

1. (1) A model aircraft flown strictly for hobby or recreational use.

2. (2) Most small UAS are owned by individuals and cannot be used for commercial purposes. Individuals flying for hobby or recreation should follow safety guidelines outlined in AC 91-57A which include:
    1. (a) Fly at or below 400 feet and remain clear of surrounding obstacles.

2. (b) Keep the aircraft within visual line of sight at all times.

3. (c) Remain well clear of and do not interfere with manned aircraft operations.

4. (d) Don't fly within 5 miles of an airport unless the hobbyist contacts the airport operator and control tower (if operating at a tower controlled airport) before flying.
    5. (e) Don't fly near people or stadiums.

6. (f) Don't fly an aircraft that weighs 55 lbs. or more.

7. (g) Don't be careless or reckless with the unmanned aircraft – hobbyists could be fined for endangering people or other aircraft.

8. (h) Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (if operating at a tower controlled airport).

9. (i) Model aircraft must not operate in Temporary Flight Restriction Areas (TFR), Prohibited Areas, Restricted Areas, Special Flight Rules Areas, or

the Washington National Capital Region Flight Restricted Zone, without specific authorization.

AC 91-57A advises that hobbyist UAS operators provide notice to the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) if the operation will take place within 5 miles of an airport. However, if the airport operator or the air traffic control facility believes the operation could impact safety, the facility may deny the operation and notify the UAS operator of the specific objection. The hobbyist is not required to request permission for the operation.

NOTES-

1. The FAA recognizes that people and companies other than model aircraft operators might be flying UAS with the misunderstanding they are legally operating under the authority of AC 91–57A. AC 91–57A only applies to model aircraft operators and specifically excludes its use by persons or companies for business purposes.

2. Model aircraft operators are not required to consider the different classes of airspace as long as they comply with the requirements listed in the AC 91-57A, which states that hobbyist UAS operators provide notice to the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) if the operation will take place within 5 miles of an airport.

What happens to DJI sales and people who have bought P3s that finally throw there hands up and wither don't buy or decide to sell their P3s? Will there be a flood of used P3s for sale when the geo fencing becomes so extensive that you effectively have a 1000 dollar paper weight? I'm still on FV 1.5 and nervous about 1.6 but also what comes after than in the coming months... 1.7, 1.8, 1.9 and so on. Only time will tell if these restrictions get so significant that you can't practically fly unless you live in the Arizona desert. For now I love the P3 and am grateful it exits.

Dear Members,
Thank you for your response, I feel a lot better.
I got my information from the FAA app. (B4UFLY)
If this app.is bogus please advise.
Best Regards,
William E. Burrows Jr.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor