IMPORTANT: DJI Go app 2.50/2.51 enables GEO functionality

I have to ask. Were you in a yellow area? And indeed you were able to take off doing this?
I'm still afraid to try anything yet. My situation is I am 4.87 miles from a very small airfield, that was never an issue before yesterday.
No, I have not tried to fly in a month. Way too cold for me.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452638651.730722.jpg

DJI GO app can connect to the internet, as i have cellular on constantly and wifi and internet is on when the app is open, however the app is unable to update as auto update is off..the only means it would be able to update is if I was to manually update the app myself..

Is this what you mean? Exactly
I wouldn't think that they could enforce updates on us, but if you were caught in a NFZ what would happen?
I don't fly in NFZ's anyway...

The other reasons that I didn't update are
1 - I have an old Samsung Note 3 for the screen right now and I'm not sure how long it will be supported basically because of my own personal distrust of updates that I have obtained from too many years of watching companies making their old units not work anymore by updating them to not function... I have an update that works, I've had some updates that didn't. Plus I do have the .bin files and 2.4.3 update stored if needed for later.
2- is because of the future downgrading if needed to 1.3.2 was disabled after the 1.5 firmware and
3 - I can still fly at 37mph with none of the hold backs that were brought in with the 1.5.7 updates to help prevent the stress cracks. I have the strong arms installed but should never need them. I don't just floor it to take off and I accelerate slowly and film slow. If I am far away when my battery starts running low, I still have the ability to fly home at full speed.
4 - 1.3.2 was the last stable update before the P3's started dropping from the sky.

5 - And basically because I am watching for the finalized version that works well for everyone if I do decide to update.

Reactions: jryser
Could you not just bin file the older version and update your craft if I am right it should dump the new update as the file is replaced with one of the previous updates. If needed go to dji and bin file the original and update each one. I feel for you not being able to fly something that you paid to do just that. Becoming false advertisement if dji keeps it up.. also I would just use the Litchi app I know it's $20 but I did and I like it even better. Hope something here helps good luck

I don't see how they can force it on you. You fly in airplane mode right? You never connect your go-app to the internet right? I'm still running 1.3.2 because that's what worked, 1.4.01 didn't so when I reverted to 1.3.2 and everything worked like normal, I stayed here. Nothing of mine updates without permission and my P3/ RC has no internet contact with the outside :)
I'm in the same boat, and glad I quit updating, too.:cool:

With android, you can still connect to cellular and/or wifi and just decline the update. I'm not so sure on iOS, the updates seem to get pushed even when updates have been disabled in settings.

Best advice, keep your old firmware until the dust settles!;)

Reactions: Reed L
If I understand correctly the following will not cause problems on a P3A, correct?

1. 2.4.3 App with firmware up to 1.6
2. 2.5 App with firmware up to 1.5

Also I have seen numerous 2.4.3 app links in this thread of varying sizes post unzip and straight apk, what is the correct file size?

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat, and glad I quit updating, too.:cool:

With android, you can still connect to cellular and/or wifi and just decline the update. I'm not so sure on iOS, the updates seem to get pushed even when updates have been disabled in settings.

Best advice, keep your old firmware until the dust settles!;)

Wrong. You can decline updating in iOS, and basically remain in whatever version of the operational system/app you chose for the time you want. Well, at least until a conflict of some sort starts to bug the device but that usually takes a long time and by then a decent, safe and functional update has been released. Or not.

I've always had all my Apple devices (iPhone and iPads) auto-update turned OFF, in order to decide the best time to update (or not) each one of my apps individually myself.

Reactions: WetDog
Well, now this gets into another fascinating area of this "BIN" file thing. What exactly is in this bin file? If it is all the code to make the phantom fly then one could assume that if you delete your current bin file, then re-load an older version of this bin file you should theoretically be back into the "older" version of the Phantom software? Yes?

Now getting down into a little further, if this was the case (and I am not saying that it is) it is possible to "write" a bin file that would actually clear out the Phantom memory to a state in which it was before it "ever" had programming on it. Then this older bin would be the first software on the bird. Does this make sense?

What kind of processor is the bird using? Is it using an Asic? Like lets say Dish network or Direct TV used?
Knowing the processor would help enormously in finding a way to circumvent this particular problem if one was to want to go that far.

I myself, am curious to what makes these things tick. Logically. I have no reason other than pure curiosity to know this. I am located in an area where there is hardly any NFZ or even restricted space.

But if I lived in an area where I was a quarter mile just inside and this software stopped me from flying my drone in my own back yard, you can bet your a$$ i would be hacking the crap out of it. Or at least trying. Dave knows this and Charlie does too. LOL

Wrong. You can decline updating in iOS, and basically remain in whatever version of the operational system/app you chose for the time you want. Well, at least until a conflict of some sort starts to bug the device but that usually takes a long time and by then a decent, safe and functional update has been released. Or not.

I've always had all my Apple devices (iPhone and iPads) auto-update turned OFF, in order to decide the best time to update (or not) each one of my apps individually myself.
I always have mine set to not allow auto-updates, too. :rolleyes:

When the go app launched, my S5 iPhone dji pilot app changed to the go app without waiting for me to authorize the update.:eek:

No problem with the Shield, though. The DJI Pilot app is still alive and well!

I always have mine set to not allow auto-updates, too. :rolleyes:

When the go app launched, my S5 iPhone dji pilot app changed to the go app without waiting for me to authorize the update.:eek:

No problem with the Shield, though. The DJI Pilot app is still alive and well!

That's really odd, I admit I never had or see that happening. I have an iPad Air that I use to play on occasion and my DJ app is not up to date. I usually wait a month or two before updating iOS and the app to avoid conflicts and bugs that are quite common between iTunes and the deejay app too (no it's not exclusive to DJI and drones LOL).

My iPhone 5S has newer GO app and iOS, but only because I updated both myself (manually) to get rid of the utterly annoying updating pop-up that keep asking if I'd like to update twice a day. But I don't ever use it to fly my P3, so I don't care about it.

My iPad Mini4 which is my main P3 tablet is still running older versions of both iOS (pre-9) and DJI GO; my iPad Air is also on older iOS and GO app, though I don't use it to fly that much anymore. Both keep "asking" for updates all the time, but I just ignore it.

Some one is going to have to go all out on this one. I am not tech savvy but I would guess that the SD card contains all updates.

Copy it and you can probably keep your drone the way you want it indefinitely.

What I don't know is if DJI can shut things off on devices running old software. Like lightbridge. Etc. Microsoft did this for people that did not pay for their software on windows 7 and up. You had to register it. Even if you paid, once you turned the new device on you had 30 days to register it, and it required an internet connection to keep functioning. You could go offline for short periods of time, but never to long.

As the device is now, there is no limit to the amount of time that can go by without an internet connection. Who knows when it will change.

Well, now this gets into another fascinating area of this "BIN" file thing. What exactly is in this bin file? If it is all the code to make the phantom fly then one could assume that if you delete your current bin file, then re-load an older version of this bin file you should theoretically be back into the "older" version of the Phantom software? Yes?

Now getting down into a little further, if this was the case (and I am not saying that it is) it is possible to "write" a bin file that would actually clear out the Phantom memory to a state in which it was before it "ever" had programming on it. Then this older bin would be the first software on the bird. Does this make sense?

What kind of processor is the bird using? Is it using an Asic? Like lets say Dish network or Direct TV used?
Knowing the processor would help enormously in finding a way to circumvent this particular problem if one was to want to go that far.

I myself, am curious to what makes these things tick. Logically. I have no reason other than pure curiosity to know this. I am located in an area where there is hardly any NFZ or even restricted space.

But if I lived in an area where I was a quarter mile just inside and this software stopped me from flying my drone in my own back yard, you can bet your a$$ i would be hacking the crap out of it. Or at least trying. Dave knows this and Charlie does too. LOL

Well I had auto update on, so yesterday morning I woke up to 2.5 DJI GO app.. After reading most of this thread I saw that I had not backed up itunes in awhile, so I had no version of 2.43 to go back to. Now you cant download it anymore from DJI either. So after deliberating, I charged up the batteries, pre flighted, and cautiously fired up the bird.. Saw no issues after hovering for a minute, so went for a flight.. Happy to report no issues and no differences, everything is fine. I dont live near any airports so didn't have any NFZ issues. But at least I can say it didn't vibrate, it wasn't unstable, so far so good. I am glad that I can still fly in the hills around my house, but let's see what happens when I visit a few other areas in the city.. I will report back if I get any NFZ messages that I didn't before.

Can anyone confirm this fix on the dji forum works for firmware 1.6 with iOS 2.5 in the app:

DJI Forum|DJI GO App and Sudden NFZ's Problem

"Those that have reposted the sudden apperance of NFZ's after updating to Go App 2.5, please do the following.. It seems to have been a server issue that is now resolved..

1. Please connect mobile device to the Internet.
2. Turn on craft and should be on P-GPS mode, please make sure craft has solid GPS lock.
3. Please make sure that RC and mobile device is connected to craft..

Wait for 1-5 min, and try to reboot the App to check."

I live in a yellow zone, so want to know below upgrading if the above fix works...
can anyone confirm if this works? This thread is getting hard to follow

As the device is now, there is no limit to the amount of time that can go by without an internet connection. Who knows when it will change.

It would not matter IF....you were using an older version of the software and an old Bin file. You don't have to go online to the internet to fly now. Without an update to either part of this they can't make you either...LOL
All I am saying is that if you stay back an update or two on both the Bin file and the Go app you would never have to worry about the geo fencing because your drone would be unknowing of any such thing. If you want to have all of the fancy little updates the DJI does to enhance video or performance then you would have to update both ends. Then that where the hacking would come in. Believe me when I say this.......someone will hack this drone software somewhere down the line because they will not be happy with what DJI has done or is going to do.

Delete the app and load previous version from iTunes. That is if you have a copy on your computer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Delete the app and load previous version from iTunes. That is if you have a copy on your computer.

Doesn't I-tunes keep your apps in the "cloud" for downloading again?

I actually just had a conversation with Brendan this evening.

He truly, truly does care and is committed to keeping the experience excellent. They are fixing this as fast as possible and do understand. I think they just need to communicate that better.

But I feel 100% better after our conversation. I truly do.

Doesn't I-tunes keep your apps in the "cloud" for downloading again?

Not if you backed up. Also, it will download installed apps from the cloud to keep them up to date. As long as you have not updated the downloaded app, you can reinstall it. I would disconnect from the Internet before doing it just to make sure.

In iTunes, show all apps and select the DJI app to install then sync the device.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT