Im opening a can of worms. Antenna orientation .

Reaction score
Ive recently purchased some ibcrazy cicular bluebeam antenna for the tx and rx. Now my question is on the tx when installing the antenna should it point up or down.

Also wanted to know best position for oem controller stock antenna position some say horizontal some say vertical 90 degress.

I have read and watched online videos regarding antenna patterns and although I have a good idea what the answer is ik sure someone is already runing the same setup as me and knows whats best.

With a circular polarized IBcrazy antenna - up or down does not matter as long as the polarization on either antenna is either left or right handed.
Don't point the antenna at the Phantom - is should be "side on" to the phantom - either up, down or even sideways at a pinch.
A typical circular polarized antenna has a null point above and below it...

cloverleaf2.jpg

The stock TX antenna orientation should be vertical.. the receiver antennas are vertically mounted in the legs.

TeamYankee said:
With a circular polarized IBcrazy antenna - up or down does not matter as long as the polarization on either antenna is either left or right handed.
Don't point the antenna at the Phantom - is should be "side on" to the phantom - either up, down or even sideways at a pinch.

cloverleaf2.jpg

The stock TX antenna orientation should be vertical.. the receiver antennas are vertically mounted in the legs.

you lost me at side on :lol:

on the phantom tx i was planning on mounting across the belly away from compass pointing down (towards me on ground while flying in air) Good?

and on the fpv receiver i was just installing straight on to top of fpv unit. good?

See my thread here: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32798

QYV and Tony from fpvlr.com confirmed this is the best position to mount the transmitter:

7RD87M2.jpg

In this orientation, the antenna is side opposite to the compass and does not block the P2's battery for removal.

TeamYankee said:

cloverleaf2.jpg

It looks not that much different from a dipole antenna.

FPVLR said:
capodrone81 said:
Ive recently purchased some ibcrazy cicular bluebeam antenna for the tx and rx. Now my question is on the tx when installing the antenna should it point up or down.

Also wanted to know best position for oem controller stock antenna position some say horizontal some say vertical 90 degress.

I have read and watched online videos regarding antenna patterns and although I have a good idea what the answer is ik sure someone is already runing the same setup as me and knows whats best.

Hi, you can mount it up or down on the bird, but if you mount it up, there will be the battery and other metal components blocking it's path to the receiver antenna, while if you install it towards the ground, you have much less clutter getting in the way.

The stock whip antenna on the radio control HAS to be mounted VERTICAL so 90 degrees UP not to the side.

The receiver antennas on the bird are vertical, so if you turn it to the side, you have cross polarization, which results in a loss of 27 decibels, and YES that's a lot.

BEST post!

you explained when where why and how. and answered the question perfectly. Thank you! :!: :idea: :mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl