I'm new and have a couple questions before I buy!

Reaction score
So I'm highly considering purchasing the Phantom 2 Vision plus but I had a couple questions that maybe you guys could answer for me. First of all, I'm basically a beginner. I've always been into anything aviation, I'm a air traffic controller, have a pilot's license and fly small G.A. planes VFR and have little experience flying Rc planes as a kid. I bought a small quadcopter by Syma (X5C) this past weekend just to get the controls down. Anyways I want to use this Phantom to eventually be able to take it out on the water boating and get some good arial footage out at sea during my weekends. I've seen a lot of youtube videos, one in particular that stood out is called titled "DJI PHANTOM CHASING SUMMER TIME BIMINI, BAHAMAS" on youtube...in this video the pilot is really legit on the sticks..and I was wondering is it normal for the average person like myself to get this good on the controls with practice and if so how long does it take? Secondly, I've done a bunch of research and it seems like the Vision 2 plus is the best quad copter in that price range and I like that there is a lot of good info out on it such as this web site, however how do you guys think this compares to the Walkera X4 Scout? Theres not a ton of reviews out on the X4 Scout but it seems like for a few hundred dollars more I could get something with retract gear, more power, and a legit follow me mode? I'm a simple guy and I want to keep things pretty simple, but at the same time I don't want to "grow out" of the Phantom 2 vision plus 4 months after I get it. What do you guys honestly think? Thanks for your time and I appreciate any advice/input you guys have!

is it normal for the average person like myself to get this good on the controls with practice
---almost anything can be achieved with practice

and if so how long does it take?
---no one can answer this accurately

i don't imagine you will grow out of the Phantom in 4 months.

yrusoslowh0e said:
Anyways I want to use this Phantom to eventually be able to take it out on the water boating
Make sure you buy a Getterback and attach it to your landing gear -- no matter which type of quadcopter you decide to buy.

yrusoslowh0e said:
how do you guys think this compares to the Walkera X4 Scout?
You're in a DJI forum, so people here are going to naturally suggest you buy a Phantom.

If you decide to go with a Phantom, make sure you check out Amazon. They usually have the best deals.

Last edited:
Cool thanks! How long did it take you guys to fly super proficiently (like the pilot in this youtube video)? It seems easier than learning to fly an rc plane because you can go at your own pace but at the same time easier to get disoriented. Also how does the Phantom do in the wind? This smaller Syma I bought over the weekend is all over the place in just 5 knot winds in my backyard.

Walkera have a poorer reputation than DJI on the user forums for quality.
The Phantom is likely to be much better.
The Phantom is much easier to fly than you imagine.
With practice you can be doing what you want fairly easily.

Mini quadcopters are lots of fun to fly -- but, it's not anything like flying a Phantom. They are much harder to control since they do not have the steady positioning of the Phantom with its GPS capabilities. If you can perfect the mini though, then you should have no problem flying a Phantom.

I picked up a Syma X12 about a week ago. I crashed it many times -- and, it keeps on going :cool:

Last edited:
The Phantom does much better in wind (thanks, GPS) than any of my smaller toy quads (Syma x5c, Hubsan x4, Syma x12). Smaller quads are great to learn controls, though. Plus, they're fun as hell. Love the Hubsan x4 the most of my 3.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl