Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Illegal in Canada to take Phantom batteries on a plane?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FrankB, Jun 20, 2013.

1. FrankB

I just found out that Transport Canada does not allow LiPO batteries with a rating of more than 160 Wh to be taken on a plane. They also can't contain more than 2 grams of lithium.

So the standard Phantom battery is rated at 2200 mAh (2.2 Ah), and produces a 11.1 volt current, which means that it has 2.2 Ah x 11.1 v = 24.4 Wh (correct me if I'm wrong). This means I should be able to take it on an airplane- but only as carry on baggage. Note that unless the battery is in a device, it can't be taken as checked baggage.

But the Phantom battery does not state how much lithium it contains- so does anyone know if it meets the 2 gram rule?

Has anyone had much experience carrying the Phantom and spare batteries on airplanes and, if so, have you ever experienced any hassles?

2. FrankB

So this site http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html states that a 100 Wh battery has the equivalent of 8 grams of lithium, so the Phantom battery has about 2 grams of lithium, which means it should be legal.

I understand the Phantom Vision will carry a 4400 mAh battery, which means it will have 4 grams of lithium and would be illegal to take onto an airplane in either the U.S. or Canada.

3. Roadkilt

I flew in the US last month and there was a sign saying all LiPo batteries had to be in carryon only, nothing in checked baggage.

4. Joeg1937

It is legal here in the US to take any Litium Ion Battery, that is under 100 watt hours, so therefore a phantom 2 quad has a 5200 mah battery which equates to 57.72 watt hours and that is well below the max of 100 watt hours.

Having said that it must be taken in carryon baggage....have a great flight!

5. gordhunt

I've flown multiple times with mine as checked baggage and no issues. I do out them in sealed zip lock bags in my case though

Sent from my S4

6. Tahoe Ed

I fly with my P2Z and carry 4 of the lipos in the case as carry on. TSA has never given me any problems.