If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

burlbark said:
How in the world can you say this?

The Version 3 Visions have been losing a motor midflite and crashing to the ground and people open them up and find a broken motor lead. DJI has started to try and issue fixes, silicone or shrink wrap to keep the wires from vibrating.

How can you say its "speculative" or "not backed by hard evidence"....You cant. To do so is the definition of stupid. No pun or offense intended.

I've not read about any V3's falling out of the sky due to the wires breaking, can you show me any threads about it with pictures and i may think otherwise? Also mine is the latest PH646 model and i see no silicone or shrink wrap on the wires, why did they stop doing this?
In my opinion this is all speculative without any evidence and i will carry on flying as they are. :D

UKFlyer said:
burlbark said:

The Version 3 Visions have been losing a motor midflite and crashing to the ground and people open them up and find a broken motor lead. DJI has started to try and issue fixes, silicone or shrink wrap to keep the wires from vibrating.

How can you say its "speculative" or "not backed by hard evidence"....You cant. To do so is the definition of stupid. No pun or offense intended.

I've not read about any V3's falling out of the sky due to the wires breaking, can you show me any threads about it with pictures and i may think otherwise? Also mine is the latest PH646 model and i see no silicone or shrink wrap on the wires, why did they stop doing this?
In my opinion this is all speculative without any evidence and i will carry on flying as they are. :D

You must not be following this closely.... We have. I am not going to go back through 75 pages to find the links and go through all the DJI forums threads for you. However here is one from a couple pages back....

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=view ... D1&lang=en

Obviously yours will not be affected and has magical properties. We had another user here on the forum come onto this thread and say the same thing as you. Shortly after one of his motor wires broke in flight and it totaled the quad.

DJI in its infinite wisdom decided not to put any shrink wrap or silicone on "your" wires. All the information is here for you to make an informed decision but to tell others its speculative because you have not examined it is preposterous. I look forward to you reports in the months to come. Please dont refrain from telling us when the motor leads break.

Jeremy

burlbark said:
UKFlyer said:
burlbark said:

You must not be following this closely.... We have. I am not going to go back through 75 pages to find the links and go through all the DJI forums threads for you. However here is one from a couple pages back....

Obviously yours will not be affected and has magical properties. We had another user here on the forum come onto this thread and say the same thing as you. Shortly after one of his motor wires broke in flight and it totaled the quad.

DJI in its infinite wisdom decided not to put any shrink wrap or silicone on "your" wires. All the information is here for you to make an informed decision but to tell others its speculative because you have not examined it is preposterous. I look forward to you reports in the months to come. Please dont refrain from telling us when the motor leads break.

Jeremy

The strange thing is the V3 with the silicone splodged all over the place in it was a serial number starting 645. UKFlyers has a newer one with a serial starting 646 yet doesn't have the silicone. So far only one V3 has shown this silicone so I am not sure what DJI are up to there.

While I do think DJI have been idiots here, I think it's also important to balance the evaluation of failures. The one you pointed to on the DJI forum with the red wire detachment, could have detached upon crash landing and not been the root cause of the failure. It is also possible it did come off in mid-air. There is likely cause, but it is not definitive.

P.S I think my V3 is magic ;)

RCblog.nl said:
My hotglue support for the motor wires.
Supports against vibration and holding fine so far.

20150310_181530.jpg

Question - how easy is it to remove the hot glue completely from the board and the wires/solder joint in case you have to replace a motor or ESC sometime in the future? I personally think Jeremy's fix using the 18awg multi-strand silicone insulated wire is the most reliable fix so far (as long as you're good at soldering, or know someone who is).

burlbark said:
BlackTracer said:
Wouldn't you rather have it not fall out of the sky? If I were you I would at least do the hot glue as that will keep those wires from vibrating and flexing.

This is not fear but an ounce of common sense.

I personally would not chance a flight with the solid wires. Starting on page 62 we see that DJI is trying to remedy this issue with silicone and then later shrink wrapping the low temp fragile insulation to the esc's :(

We have seen dozens of them fail now and as people continue to fly them it will only increase with hours of vibration. The information has been provided how to replace them and detailed pictures. DJI has shown time and time again to not honor warranty's when crashes have occurred. Flyer beware.....

Jeremy James

Hi

I agree that it makes sense to replace solid wires with stranded. If I've understood it correctly though the wire is a continuous wire from the motor. What's the suggestion - to solder a piece of 18AWG stranded directly to the solid motor wire ?

I also wonder whether it's possible to apply some vibration damping ? Is there room under the ESC to put small vibration damped mountings ? Just a thought.

I think that the hot glue will sufficiently dampen and re-enforce the wire at the solder points. But does anyone think the heatshrink approach DJI have been doing on repairs, and the silicone method seen on one 645 serial V3 would actually do anything at all? It looks to me that the damping is too far back down the wire (away from the solder points). There still looks to be enough wire between the dampening (silicone or heatshrink) to still be able to resonate? The hot glue looks more definitive to me.

RhythMick said:
burlbark said:
BlackTracer said:
Wouldn't you rather have it not fall out of the sky? If I were you I would at least do the hot glue as that will keep those wires from vibrating and flexing.

This is not fear but an ounce of common sense.

I personally would not chance a flight with the solid wires. Starting on page 62 we see that DJI is trying to remedy this issue with silicone and then later shrink wrapping the low temp fragile insulation to the esc's :(

We have seen dozens of them fail now and as people continue to fly them it will only increase with hours of vibration. The information has been provided how to replace them and detailed pictures. DJI has shown time and time again to not honor warranty's when crashes have occurred. Flyer beware.....

Jeremy James

Hi

I agree that it makes sense to replace solid wires with stranded. If I've understood it correctly though the wire is a continuous wire from the motor. What's the suggestion - to solder a piece of 18AWG stranded directly to the solid motor wire ?

I also wonder whether it's possible to apply some vibration damping ? Is there room under the ESC to put small vibration damped mountings ? Just a thought.

here you go.
this is the stock wire

cut about right there and grind the isolation off the wires to get them ready for soldering

stock vs. 18AWG wire

get ready to solder some

when done

Attachments

• 1966135_10206014257822681_6982246704625075124_o.jpg
    1966135_10206014257822681_6982246704625075124_o.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 424
  • 1799125_10206014388065937_7018642661106336905_o.jpg
    1799125_10206014388065937_7018642661106336905_o.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 453
  • 10273230_10206014387665927_4492244907924893333_o.jpg
    10273230_10206014387665927_4492244907924893333_o.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 442
  • Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    552.5 KB · Views: 416
  • image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    557.7 KB · Views: 463

All complete

Installed

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    635.4 KB · Views: 443
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 431

Thanks for the link for the wires and heatshrink for us uk owners :D After much thought i have decided to replace the wires on my V3 "just in case" those single stranded wires do ever fracture. It makes sense that a single core wire is more prone to this than a multistrand, i also think the stock wires are too thin so best to change them.
I still say though there has been no evidence of this happening yet to any V3's and yes i have read through all 75 pages, the one example that someone pointed out to me of this happening could not be proved to be true, after all the guy did say he had a previous hard landing and afterwards it fell from the sky, the quad was in a proper mess and he says a wire had come off one of the esc's, well it could of broke in the crash and again no pictures was there to prove. Here is the so called "evidence". Make of it what you will :roll:

burlbark said:
UKFlyer said:
burlbark said:

Jeremy

Quick question, is it the 3.2mm heat shrink i need for the 18awg wires, Thanks. :D

Okay the 18awg wire is 2.3mm so i take it the 2.4mm heat shrink is sufficient?
Also when soldering the wires to the motors is it best to put the single core wire inside the new multistrand, twisting together and soldering together for the best connection?
Any advice would be great.

RhythMick said:
Many thanks for post here and in PM. For those in UK with an interest, links to ...

18AWG stranded wire in high temp silicone jacket, in 2m lengths and in black/red/yellow
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231070206668? ... EBIDX%3AIT

3.2mm heat shrink in black/red/yellow
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141462328876? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Could I ask for some advice on the best way to physically join the solid wire to the stranded wire before soldering ?

Western Union Splice ? http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Union_splice

Or is there a better way suited to joining solid to stranded ?

UKFlyer said:
Okay the 18awg wire is 2.3mm so i take it the 2.4mm heat shrink is sufficient?
Also when soldering the wires to the motors is it best to put the single core wire inside the new multistrand, twisting together and soldering together for the best connection?
Any advice would be great.

I went for 3.2mm heat shrink, which reduces to 1.6mm when heated so it will make a snug fit on the 2.3mm outer diameter of the 18awg cable. I will probably double layer the heatshrink, with a smaller section covering the splice and 5mm of insulation each side, then a longer section covering a further 5mm each side.

It's also obviously important to keep the cables away from each other and the mosfets. I wondered about some sort of physical separation - will ponder that one.

Has anyone looked into vibration damping ?

Any method which displaces the physical strains from the solder joint itself.

In most cases the solder composition is 'softer' than the conductor material.
Providing a sound mechanical bond between the two (or more) conductors prior to soldering will yeild a more reliable mechanical and electrical connection.

Does it have to be just as you cited from WU? Probably not, but you get the 'jist' of what it achieves.

Heat shrink will usually improve any solder joint it's applied to properly.

N017RW said:
Any method which displaces the physical strains from the solder joint itself.

In most cases the solder composition is 'softer' than the conductor material.
Providing a sound mechanical bond between the two (or more) conductors prior to soldering will yeild a more reliable mechanical and electrical connection.

Does it have to be just as you cited from WU? Probably not, but you get the 'jist' of what it achieves.

Heat shrink will usually improve any solder joint it's applied to properly.

Yeah thanks, makes sense. Common sense approach, just wondered if any peculiarities from joining solid to stranded is all. Thanks.

DJI E310 motors are coming. It's basically the Phantom 2 new 2312 motor in black but..... with flexible, multi stranded 18 AWG motor wires and 3.5 mm bullet connectors. And silicone insulated.
Cut those connectors of, solder the wires to the ESC, and it seems you're good to go.
Since they're basically the same as the Phantom 2 new 2312 motors, I'd guess they'd work fine with the v2.1 ESC's.

RhythMick said:
NASA splicing standards from page 80 onwards...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 20standard

The lap joint would be fine, less strain on the motor winding side of the joint. Heat shrink will dampen most vibration. The problem is really at the solder ball on the ESC, it's the fixed anchor point. The wire will typically break at the exposed area between the solder ball and the insulation, more exposure - quicker the break. Getting the insulation (or heat shrink) as close to the solder ball will be the best to dampen that joint.

Any heat shrink with a hot glue adhesive internal will further reduce any vibration failures. It seems the default heat shrink in the electronic industry is without adhesive. You could always improvise if you have a hot glue stick available...

Good luck!

I have had a couple people question me asking if these wire failures in midflite are caused from damage from a previous crash.

If the same body is used and the esc is not bent in half how much real damage can be occurring to these wires before failure/breaking?

Some people say the wires are breaking after the crash, than a couple questions still remain.

1. Why did it tumble out of the sky?
2. Why are we seeing broken motor wires with no other obvious damage to the esc's?
3. Why are the motor leads always breaking in the same place?

Then of course you can bend test them yourself. Some of them will only last one bend! The max bends I have seen is 7. All it takes for weak wires is a couple hours of vibration or less.

I never saw this problem with multistrand wire unless the the whole arm was ripped off or the esc was folded in half. The wires are continuing to break and I just had to order 150ft of shrink wrap to keep it in stock. It is only going to get worse unless DJI standardizes a fix quickly.

Jeremy James

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT