If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

rdc4444 said:
Can you point me to the discussion about this yellow dot? Ive read about the blue mark but this is the first time I'm hearing about a yellow dot indicating a good ESC for version 3. Thanks

It is in a couple of threads now, but this was one of the main ones.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=34843

Well, I bought new ESCs with the new motors.
My boot LED sequences made me believe they were V2.1s, but I replaced them to be safe.
Pulling the old ones out, they do have the yellow Sharpie marks on the Electrolytic Cap.
If this is correct, I now have 4 spare V2.1s Cool.

jonstatt said:
rdc4444 said:
Can you point me to the discussion about this yellow dot? Ive read about the blue mark but this is the first time I'm hearing about a yellow dot indicating a good ESC for version 3. Thanks

Thanks. I don't recall seeing a yellow dot on the capacitor (thought it was blue) when I originally opened my Phantom. I will open it tonight and take photos if needed and contact DJI. I may order the 2.1 esc's on my own and replace them. Are they easy to replace? I've never soldered before or should I send it in to DJI?

rdc4444 said:
jonstatt said:
rdc4444 said:

Thanks. I don't recall seeing a yellow dot on the capacitor (thought it was blue) when I originally opened my Phantom. I will open it tonight and take photos if needed and contact DJI. I may order the 2.1 esc's on my own and replace them. Are they easy to replace? I've never soldered before or should I send it in to DJI?

There were some with blue dots I understand...but these were no indication of the V3 compatibility. However, not all the 2.1 ESCs have the yellow dot as they started doing this more recently. Hopefully your ESCs have 2.1 printed on the white sticker on the ESC board in which case you can leave well alone. It is fairly easy to change the ESCs if you are okay with soldering! As you have never soldered before, you will want to practice first before doing this or just send it in and put up with the wait. If you do solder, I strongly advise you solder the motor to the ESC out of the drone and not try doing it in-situ.

Anyone can solder. Soldering well is the trick.
Decades ago I went to NASA's soldering course.
If my instructors saw the inside of one of these birds back then, they would have exploded.
What is acceptable now would've failed me back then.

Having said that, there are no astronauts in these birds.

View any tutorials you can on YouTube.
Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxASFu19bLU

There are 5 joints per ESC, so 20 in all. Just take your time.
You'll be ok.

CapnBob said:
Anyone can solder. Soldering well is the trick.
Decades ago I went to NASA's soldering course.
If my instructors saw the inside of one of these birds back then, they would have exploded.
What is acceptable now would've failed me back then.

Having said that, there are no astronauts in these birds.

View any tutorials you can on YouTube.
Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxASFu19bLU

There are 5 joints per ESC, so 20 in all. Just take your time.
You'll be ok.

Dont take your time soldering on the esc to main board leads. The power lead is insulated with plastic and it will melt causing a ground out issue with the shielding ground wire. You must have a good hot solder gun/pen. I like to set mine at 420c for this work to get the solder down quick and keep the insulation from cooking off.

We have seen more of the solid motor wires breaking so please be aware that this issue is for real and it must be dealt with. Its not a ticking time bomb but they do fail at the worst possible time ;) Maybe it is a ticking time bomb. :roll:

Jeremy James

Just as an FYI to this post, I did contact dji about my brand new phantom 2 (non vision, I know) and the rep admitted that there "were some incompatibilities early on" and that if I didn't get a satisfactory replacement from the seller I could RMA and the techs would replace the ESCs to updated versions if needed free of charge.

This was a very different conversation that I had with DJI at the beginning of the year when it was more "What ESC problem?". It looks like they are subtly admitting an issue now

I got a brand new v3 yesterday.

it has a the updated shielding, holey wifi module and 2.1 esc's

so far so good

I'm thinking that I had and ESC failure

video --> http://youtu.be/IXJfbjRdOBE

Will post pictures soon...

Is it a V3 ?

4 months ago I don't think they were out were they ?

robinb said:
Is it a V3 ?

Puchased Nov 1st 2014 - NonVision Phantom 2 Version 2 (new controller with lipo and scroll wheel, new 2312 motors etc)

Pics of ESCs etc before crash https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eos4vo01i1la ... D0eRa?dl=0

Had two tip overs and one crash into tree. Never any ESC or mechanical issues so I decided to keep flying it. Bad decision, specially over water.

Some preliminary pictures https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ir1mxm6rwkyw ... gNpNYccKDa
Phantom is currently in plastic bag with 15 lbs of rise for a hail mary attempt to save electronics.

I've read the recommendation to get the wires up off the board.

Comparing the before and after pics, did you bend yours up? I'm wondering if that may have caused it to break where it did.

When I had mine open to see what ESC's it had, I tried to move the wires up a little but they were so stiff I was afraid to put much pressure on them.

Congrats on sticking with it and getting it back. Hope you can get it back in the air. :)

mendezl said:
robinb said:
Is it a V3 ?

Puchased Nov 1st 2014 - NonVision Phantom 2 Version 2 (new controller with lipo and scroll wheel, new 2312 motors etc)

Pics of ESCs etc before crash https://www.dropbox.com/sh/eos4vo01i1la ... D0eRa?dl=0

Had two tip overs and one crash into tree. Never any ESC or mechanical issues so I decided to keep flying it. Bad decision, specially over water.

Some preliminary pictures https://www.dropbox.com/sc/ir1mxm6rwkyw ... gNpNYccKDa
Phantom is currently in plastic bag with 15 lbs of rise for a hail mary attempt to save electronics.

Sorry to see this... This is the reason this thread was made in order to document and inform the Phantom Pilots of this gross error by DJI.

Hani and myself took a lot of flack on this modification. Now that we have been seeing more failures it has become self evident to even the critics. I hope DJI treats you right and gives you a new bird.

Jeremy James

Here are some pics of the flexible wire in place.

Jeremy James

Attachments

• gimbals 001.JPG
    gimbals 001.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 373
  • gimbals 004.JPG
    gimbals 004.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 412
  • gimbals 006.JPG
    gimbals 006.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 361

jonstatt said:
ON a separate point, it is mentioned in another thread that DJI have said if the capacitor at the top end (nearest the main board) of the ESC has a yellow dot on it, then its a good one for the V3. I found you can see this dot without even removing the top cover. Just shine a torch into the vent on one of the arms, and then look from the vent on the other side of it...and I can clearly see this yellow blob on the top of the capaicitor.

If you are talking about the black capacitor just inside the vent, I'm SOL (Sheet Out Of Luck).

I see nothing yellow but wires.

rdc4444 said:
I live just inside the edge of the 15.5 mile DC no fly zone and fly in a field that is near my house but is inside the 15.5 mile zone. I'm afraid if I send it in they'll flash my phantom with the latest firmware grounding my phantom so I've decided at this point to just let it go.

I feel your pain. I'm about 2-3 miles inside of the zone in the Maryland side. I refuse to upgrade.

djsydvicious said:
jonstatt said:
ON a separate point, it is mentioned in another thread that DJI have said if the capacitor at the top end (nearest the main board) of the ESC has a yellow dot on it, then its a good one for the V3. I found you can see this dot without even removing the top cover. Just shine a torch into the vent on one of the arms, and then look from the vent on the other side of it...and I can clearly see this yellow blob on the top of the capaicitor.

If you are talking about the black capacitor just inside the vent, I'm SOL (Sheet Out Of Luck).

The yellow marker is not always there.... You need to check the label and see if it says 2.1. I have also seen perfectly functioning esc's with upgraded motors with no marks or tags.

Jeremy

burlbark said:

Jeremy James
In assuming these aren't pics of a V3.0 P2V+.

Mine does not look like this when looking inside through the vent.

burlbark said:
djsydvicious said:
jonstatt said:

The yellow marker is not always there.... You need to check the label and see if it says 2.1. I have also seen perfectly functioning esc's with upgraded motors with no marks or tags.

Jeremy
Translation... I need to Man Up and crack her open. LOL

If I open her up, I might as well do some Mods while open. Perhaps add a Flytrex

Thanks.

burlbark said:

Jeremy James

So basically what you did was cut the wires as soon as they come out of the motor and replace the rest with thicker wires right? If so can u give me a link preferably in amazon where I can buy the wires

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka