If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 READ!

Re: If you just purchased a brand new Phantom 2 Vision+ V3 R

msinger said:
Prylar Bek said:
mlars said:
I have gotten a lot of info right here to decide to return mine. I just got it at Christmas. It is a v3, have not even charged the battery yet. Will think about getting older model in exchange but hate going backward.
bad idea
Or not? The V2s aren't dropping like rocks.

Good point.
Strange that the P2 Ver2 users are not reporting this..
I have a P2 Ver2 with (possibly) the same upgraded 2312 motors and ESC as the Ver3. Besides the obvious 2.4/5.8ghz controls, there isn't much difference except what is printed on the main board. My P2 has H33D etched/printed near the NAZA. Is there a chance that the V2 has different ESC's and ESC firmware?
I'll look at the ESC chip manufacture on next inspection (amtel vs silica it think).

I'm not branding anyone here, but usually the P2 users are more cluey and would have jumped on this bandwagon.

My congrats to Na5n from the DJI forum for investigating the issue. We need to remember that repeated test need done. Ie, get 20-30 sets of motors and ESC and try replicating it in a controlled manner.

It's all speculation at the moment and up in the air (excuse the pun), but with allegations and rumours, we need to have someone from DJI to put it at rest.

For now, everyone should just fly - sniff - inspect. If not, wait till DJI makes a formal response.

Well, i think i will talk with the store i got it from and make them aware of it and separate my wires and wait to see what dji says. Like i said i hate to backwarsd. There will, im afraid in the next 2 weeks, be a lot more coming across the board with problems or dji comes up with a fix, like new esc and wires put on free. That looks like the fix.

jasonb777 said:
From what I have seen there is only a couple of people on this forum who have encountered this issue with the new model V3 and no Im not referring to the new motor and esc mod. And in addition to that B+H and other large distributors have claimed to not recieve any late model birds back with damaged escs or melted wires.

Let me quote 99% of the retailers for you so that you dont even need to call them. "Oh no we have had zero problems with the Vision 3, just some open box returns from Christmas gifts"

Thats like asking Horizon hobby if the Blade 350qx3 just lose power for no reason..... Or asking Apple if the Iphone is a good product...

What is the salesman going to tell you? Dont buy the product we sell? :D Keep sniffing them and dont tip over.

I have H3-3D with the upgraded ESC's and motors and I decided to open my P2 after reading this thread. I'm not happy but I guess I'm lucky it didnt fall out of the sky. The wires were all stuck together and touching the pcb especially the mosfets.
Here's what I found:
-one of the mosfets has some red insulation from the wire stuck to it and most likely being very hot
-the mosfets are covered in solder resin, not sure if it is from when the shop did the upgrades or not (pretty sure my p2 is the old version just upgraded with new components)
-some of th wires have other wires colors stuck to them and the insulations are deformed as if they were very hot just before hitting the melting point

I've separated the wires and lifted them off the mofsets. At this point I'm not sure if I'm ok to fly but after about 20 flights it hasn't completely melted off I guess it's safe...?? :roll:

Here's some pics

Attachments

• 20150105_193855.jpg
    20150105_193855.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 349
  • 20150105_203113.jpg
    20150105_203113.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 342
  • 20150105_203132.jpg
    20150105_203132.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 400
  • 20150105_203254.jpg
    20150105_203254.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 401
  • 20150105_203321.jpg
    20150105_203321.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 386

Exactly what I did. Lifted the wires off the components and put some separation between the wires. Mine had some pretty sharp bends and kinks in them. The kinks make good stress risers!

Just on the phone with B&H "his honest opinion" no problems reported and thousands of phantoms v2.0 sold. He also said that if any issues presented they send a new unit.

TomasBKK said:
I have H3-3D with the upgraded ESC's and motors and I decided to open my P2 after reading this thread. I'm not happy but I guess I'm lucky it didnt fall out of the sky. The wires were all stuck together and touching the pcb especially the mosfets.
Here's what I found:
-one of the mosfets has some red insulation from the wire stuck to it and most likely being very hot
-the mosfets are covered in solder resin, not sure if it is from when the shop did the upgrades or not (pretty sure my p2 is the old version just upgraded with new components)
-some of th wires have other wires colors stuck to them and the insulations are deformed as if they were very hot just before hitting the melting point

I've separated the wires and lifted them off the mofsets. At this point I'm not sure if I'm ok to fly but after about 20 flights it hasn't completely melted off I guess it's safe...?? :roll:

Here's some pics

If I understand correctly what is being said on those ESC's with V2.1 on the white label where the QR code is contain the right firmware. V.4.06.

Why do you think you have the correct ones ?

Eltrochaphantom said:
Just on the phone with B&H "his honest opinion" no problems reported and thousands of phantoms v2.0 sold. He also said that if any issues presented they send a new unit.
even if your unit ends up in a lake?

TomasBKK said:
Eltrochaphantom said:
even if your unit ends up in a lake?

Let's have a little bit of common sense. Of course not cause ur warranty doesn't cover that. But warranty does cover ESC'S, MOTORS, TRANSMITTER, ETC

robinb said:
TomasBKK said:
Here's what I found:

Here's some pics

If I understand correctly what is being said on those ESC's with V2.1 on the white label where the QR code is contain the right firmware. V.4.06.

Why do you think you have the correct ones ?
I dont know what I have, my esc's have no version on the white sticker but I can see the wires don't look healthy to me as they have definitely gone through some serious heat cycle so I dont only believe that only 2.1 version esc is affected.

TomasBKK said:
Mosfets in an ESC run hot, very hot. That's why you have ventilation holes in the Phantom arms. I don't know which Mosfet the Phantoms use, but in the Hex I built the 40Amp ESC's use the International Rectifier IRFZ44N MOSFET, and the case temperature on it will reach over 150-degrees centigrade.
You should lift the wires off the MOSFET's because the insulation on the wire will melt between 140-190 degrees centigrade. Do not put anything on the chips because they really need the air around them to dissipate the heat.

Wonder if adding a couple more ventilation slots or holes would help?

sims5 said:
Wonder if adding a couple more ventilation slots or holes would help?

Probably not a bad idea. I doubt those tiny side ventilation slots on the arms contribute much in the way of cooling. Better might be some decent size holes along the top ridge that would allow prop wash to enter the esc area and vent out the side slots. (Just don't fly in damp weather.)

Ok. So who will be the first to drill holes on the top of the quad? Not me I'm chicken

I really think something is wrong when you have to be cutting holes in your quad. I've had different phantoms since they came out and never had to worry about this. IT SHOULD FLY FINE THE WAY YOU BOUGHT IT !

Well, I just so happen to bought a V3 before Xmas for myself and my father for his Xmas present. I feel like I have a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. it's a very sick feeling. :?

I've logged 15 flight with mine and my father 6 flights. HOT DANG IT!

This is like sleeping with a hot chick and later finding out she might have STD <- "just a metaphor it never happened to me."

Hi I'm a first time quadcopter and Phantom owner. I just got my Phantom 2 Vision + on the 2nd January. After going through this thread I decided to open it up and have a look. It seems to have the thin wires but I've no idea about the ESC however it's labelled as V2.1. I tried to move the wires away from the mosfets as much as possible and also tried to leave some distance between the wires themselves before closing it again. Here are a few photos. I'd like the experts' opinion on what I did. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    540.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_2056.JPG
    IMG_2056.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2057.JPG
    IMG_2057.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    547.9 KB · Views: 377
  • IMG_2059.JPG
    IMG_2059.JPG
    539.1 KB · Views: 373

Here are a few other images. Has anything changed from the previous version apart from the GPS shielding?

Attachments

• IMG_2042.JPG
    IMG_2042.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_2045.JPG
    IMG_2045.JPG
    360.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2054.JPG
    IMG_2054.JPG
    402 KB · Views: 367

Mori55 said:
I really think something is wrong when you have to be cutting holes in your quad. I've had different phantoms since they came out and never had to worry about this. IT SHOULD FLY FINE THE WAY YOU BOUGHT IT !

While this is affecting a few people, I believe it is not affecting the majority of V3 quad owners/pilots. I'd guess that quite a number of V3's have been/are being sold and flown since they came out in November worldwide. Hundreds? Thousands maybe? If there were a constant, a part that is produced and placed in all of the V3 Phantoms, then logic would dictate that they would all heat up and malfunction, with very little exception right out of the box or shortly after. I personally find it hard to believe that all V3 quads are a time-bomb waiting to overheat and fall out of the sky. Something tells me that simply is not the case.

Until someone qualified does a true diagnostics test under the exact same circumstances and conditions, we can what if and guess all day long, but that isn't going on actual data and facts. Until then, I'll continue to fly mine as I have been, without any incident or signs of heating or melting components flying in mid 70's degree weather.

IMO, this is being blown way out of proportion.

Respectfully,

Which would cause more heat, 100% full throttle load or many load changes. I think full load would be the heat indicator and the rapid load changes would test the firmware and hardware for the random spits and sputters some people have speculated.

It shouldn't be hard to anchor the bird down and dyno the system and get some ESC and wire temperatures. The problem is, leaving the cover off while you dyno the motors with props will cause additional cooling so it would be best to use some beaded thermocouples and dyno with the top on.

I have some certified multi-channel test meters here I use for testing components for UL and CSA approvals. I might be able to setup some sort of testing to get some various temperatures such as Wifi, ESC, Motor Wiring, and whatever else we might need. Any interest?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka