Idiot Move Killed 2 Motors - Help please...

Reaction score
Long story short - I took off the prop guards on my P3S, but reinstalled long screws. This idiotic move rendered the two rear motors inoperable -- they barely spin at startup. A little finger encouragement gets them to spin faster, but applying throttle gets them nowhere near the speed of the front rotors causing the AC to flip over.

Visual examination shows damage to the motor windings directly in line with screw hole. ARRRGGGGHHH!

Obviously not a warranty repair, two questions come to mind:
  1. Is motor replacement a fairly easy DIY project? If so, where would you recommend buying them? Cost?
  2. If pro repair is the better option, who do you recommend contacting for the fix? Average cost?
Thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

Can you solder? If so, you should be able to do it yourself. You can find a few places to purchase the motors here.

Here's the replacement process:

Reactions: Gutch
THANK YOU!!! Soldering is not a problem at all, and the video helped to better understand the secret to removing the top of the shell.

Motors ordered - will be here Saturday. Bookmarked that excellent parts reference page. Should be back in the air this weekend.

Thank you again -- I really appreciate it!!!

Man, That long screw, - screw up seems to happen quite often.
Manufacturer should put a very LARGE warning in with those prop. guard kits in regards to not use the long screws after removing prop. guards!

Reactions: Gutch
Man, That long screw, - screw up seems to happen quite often.
Manufacturer should put a very LARGE warning in with those prop. guard kits in regards to not use the long screws after removing prop. guards!

Funny thing was as I was putting the long screws back in, I was thinking to myself... "Hmmm, the original screws were shorter than these. Oh well, there's not that much difference..." (keeps screwing them in)

There is a warning in the instructions for the prop guards. I remember reading it when I installed them, then promptly threw the instructions away. Guess my steel trap memory is getting a little rusty...

Some of us (myself included) use removable prop guards. The mounts stay on, guards go on and come off easily when required. The different color mounts also help a bit with seeing the orientation or your copter. The guards are different colors also, and really help with orientation.

Indeed, as said above you should use Prop-guards. It prevent me from cutting myself with the drone. On sites like Aliexpress/Ebay you can buy replacement brushless motors. There are not expensive.

f9592a69d33581441fa7dc3db72e2069_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Update -- Motors arrived in the mail today. An hour on the bench -- Most of that time trying to get the shell separated without destroying it. Old motors desoldered from main board, new motor connections soldered, then everything packaged up nice and neat. Easy peasy!

A quick test of the motors without blades was promising. Attached props and gave her another test while holding the AC securely to the bench. Throttled up, and paper/packaging/small tools started blowing away -- Success!!!

Going to give the battery a full charge, do an IMU cal, and take her for a quick spin to confirm everything's working as desired. Oh yeah -- Prop guards have been reinstalled... ;)

Update -- Motors arrived in the mail today. An hour on the bench -- Most of that time trying to get the shell separated without destroying it. Old motors desoldered from main board, new motor connections soldered, then everything packaged up nice and neat. Easy peasy!

A quick test of the motors without blades was promising. Attached props and gave her another test while holding the AC securely to the bench. Throttled up, and paper/packaging/small tools started blowing away -- Success!!!

Going to give the battery a full charge, do an IMU cal, and take her for a quick spin to confirm everything's working as desired. Oh yeah -- Prop guards have been reinstalled... ;)
Be careful !

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl