Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Ideal compass mod

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by lloydDugmore, Jun 15, 2014.

1. lloydDugmore

Does anyone know what sort of range I should be aiming to get my phantoms compass to be within?
    I am in South Africa and cannot get my mod to below 2500. I watched a video tutorial on you tube posted by dji on how to calibrate a compass properly and the ideal range was stated to be around 1800-1600. I was wondering if that was location specific? Anyone know?

2. Mal_PV2_Ireland

There are problems with location, luckily enough here in ireland its not a problem so I havent really looked into it too much. Maybe someone else can give you a link to a map of problem locations. Ideally your compass mod should be 1200 but anywhere from 900 to 1800 is best (someone correct me if I'm wrong but I know I'm not too far off) I know 1800 is the upper ideal limit for sure. Try hooking your phantom up to your computer and in the assistant software do a basic calibration and then an advanced calibration. If the mod doesnt come down below 1800 you may have to try resetting the compass with a magnet BUT THIS IS ONLY DONE AS A FINAL RESORT, BE WARNED. There is an old dji video with Colin Guin showing how to do this on a phantom 1. Please read up more on this if you really have to do this first mate.

3. EMCSQUAR

4. Mal_PV2_Ireland

5. Happyflyer

WOW! One of Colin's videos DJI didn't pull. They must have missed that one.

6. BigTulsa

Probably because that one was posted not by DJI...

7. lloydDugmore

Thanks guys. Yes that is the video I was referring to. OK I'll try advanced calibration via my laptop today. Thanks for the comments guys

8. lloydDugmore

So I went out this afternoon... I was running on version 1.08. Tried a couple of advanced ccalibrations with my laptop with no luck.

I upgraded again to version 3 and above. Did an advanced calibration as it was still sitting around 2700 on the compass mod.
    It didn't help.
    Then I did a compass dance and boom!!! Got it down to 1400.
    Flew 2 batteries flat and had no problems.... I think I may have finally got control of my phantom again. Will go out with all three batteries this coming weekend and know for sure.