Which (Inexpensive) Remote ID Module to Get???

Reaction score
So, has everyone decided on which third-party remote ID module (RID) to get for their Phantoms?

Is there an inexpensive option in the $50 range? I watched a video comparison and the cheapest one was like US $160 or something like that.

Thans in advance.

Also, if anyone has heard anything OFFICIAL abour a grace period. about a week ago there were RUMORS that there would be a grace period / delay, as the FAA is backlogged with the FRIA approvals and manufactures were struggling to provide RID modules. But they were just rumors and I haven't seen anything official yet.

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: shammel00
With what is going on at the moment, may be better off to wait and see if the FAA changes the date.
Spektrum has one that seems reasonable.
Don't think FAA approved means much as long as it sends a signal. Still disappointed DJI didn't make one. I've got a few that need them.

With what is going on at the moment, may be better off to wait and see if the FAA changes the date.
Spektrum has one that seems reasonable.

Yes, I will be getting a Spektrum RID module to use with my fixed-wing planes (as I use Spektrum receivers in them). Don't think it can be used with my Phantom 3 or Phantom 4 drones though :(

Deadline extended to March 16, 2024 according to an email received today from the FAA.

That is great news!!! Thanks!

UPDATE: From the FAA Website:

and also, directly from the FAA site:

Please Note: FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months​

Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft. After that date, operators could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates. In making this decision, the FAA recognizes the unanticipated issues that some operators are experiencing finding some remote identification broadcast modules.

Drone pilots can meet this deadline by purchasing a standard Remote ID equipped drone from a manufacturer or purchasing a Remote ID broadcast module which can be affixed to existing drones that do not have Remote ID equipment.

It can. Just needs a little battery power.
OK, sounds good!

I guess I thought for some reason that the data cable on the Soektrum RID had to be plugged in tot he Data port on a Spektrum receiver.

Maybe that requirement is only if you want to get telemetry from the RID Module through the receiver to the radio???

The data question should go to the Spektrum folks. I have seen a question regarding the pin positions on the module for power and ground. If this picture helps, in normal Spektrum cables, red =+ and black=-, the orange would be a signal wire of some kind. What it is sending and where it ends up, I should not answer.
931A10E4-C2FF-4A55-B3D9-D1FA5BA080DA.png

Reactions: Capt KO
The data question should go to the Spektrum folks. I have seen a question regarding the pin positions on the module for power and ground. If this picture helps, in normal Spektrum cables, red =+ and black=-, the orange would be a signal wire of some kind. What it is sending and where it ends up, I should not answer.View attachment 125493
All I need to know is the battery required, Hope all in 1.

Taking one of my (3) P4P fishing again tomorrow. That's all I use them for any more, easy pleasy bait drop. Ready to try my A2 as well for light weight bait. Great trip today, blackened redfish dinner. ID will have to wait till cheaper, & available.

Attachments

• IMG_20230913_122542.jpg
    IMG_20230913_122542.jpg
    1,004.9 KB · Views: 59
Here u go. It will need a separate power source.
Price ok but still can't figure what battery to connect to. Internal P4P battery won't work, accessory battery not included. Quads not like aircraft. Need simple

Reactions: Cavepig7
OK then I spoke with a commercial drone dealer/repairer who told me that everybody will need one of these for their drone if it weighs more than 250 grams. He said that it did not matter if one is strictly recreational and that the 400 ft limit also did not matter. Of course, he sells them, at $200+ a pop. That may color his reply just a bit. I am strictly recreational, keep my drone at or below 400 ft, avoid airports and all that stuff and I cannot find good info on whether or not I need one of these, Any help here, thanks in advance,

OK then I spoke with a commercial drone dealer/repairer who told me that everybody will need one of these for their drone if it weighs more than 250 grams. He said that it did not matter if one is strictly recreational and that the 400 ft limit also did not matter. Of course, he sells them, at $200+ a pop. That may color his reply just a bit. I am strictly recreational, keep my drone at or below 400 ft, avoid airports and all that stuff and I cannot find good info on whether or not I need one of these, Any help here, thanks in advance,
If what you fly is more than the 250 grams and it doesn’t have built in RID broadcasting hardware, you will need an external module. Post #11 is the cheapest one i‘ve seen. Recreational pilots only need one that can be moved to different aircraft as long as you have them listed with the FAA.
200.00 a pop is a bit to steep for my little wallet.

Reactions: bullerman1946

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl