I won a Phantom, please help me get it working

Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to win a Phantom 1 at a conference I attended recently. As it turns out it's not exactly new; it's apparently been flown several times as evidenced by the scuff marks on it and it looks like someone may have had a gimbal on it. I'm new to multi-rotors but I've been considering building one for a while now, so winning this thing was a nice jump-start into the hobby. Equally surprising though is that when I took it out for my first flight, I got the flashing yellow light which the manual says is no connection to the transmitter.

Googling the issue turns up instructions for switching back from PPM to D-Bus after the last firmware upgrade. Apparently that's a common thing, but it doesn't seem to be the problem I'm having.

Here's what I've been able to determine:
[*] Assistant software shows no feedback when moving the sticks.
[*] It's a version 1.1.1 with the dual antenna RX.
[*] The RX binds to the TX (slow flashing green light on the RX viewed through the battery door, turns red when turning off TX)
[*] Rebinding doesn't help.
[*] Confirmed D-Bus mode in Assistant, even toggled between D-Bus and PPM.
[*] Verified that RX is properly connected to the Naza (fore connector is connected to X1) swapped and tested for good measure, no dice.
[*] Everything inside looks un-damaged.

So it seems that the problem is the Naza which is otherwise functioning normally as far as I can tell, or between the Naza and the RX.

What I might try next is re-applying the firmware, but is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot before I start spending money to replace parts?

Thanks

1. Which assistant software exactly are you running?

2. When you have the Phantom connected to the PC, does the little green or blue dots in the bottom left of the window light up?

3. Are the yellow flashes at a rapid interval, or with a full second in between? No other colors in the flashing pattern?

1. It's "DJI NAZAM Assistant_2.20"

2. Yes, the green one is lit and the blue one flashes. I see the IMU numbers and stuff updating, so it's talking.

3. The yellow flashes are rapid. When it starts, it looks like it's going through the normal sequence of red, green, yellow... then it quickly turns to the rapid yellow.

Gotcha, def sounds like a non-binded controller as you suspected.

When you inspected the internals, did you check the antenna terminals in particular? In the P1's those had a tendency to come loose or disconnected there. If that doesn't look to be the problem, the next thing to check would be the same thing inside the controller itself.

Just double-checked the antenna connection inside the Phantom, both connections are solid. Also opened the transmitter and that one is glued down really well, still not working. Do many people have problems with the 1.1.1 receivers?

It's a long shot, but make sure you have the correct transmitter for the Phantom 1.1.1
If the equipment is not new, you could have gotten a mixed up kit.

I opened up the transmitter and it looks like this v1.1.1 one:
dji-phantom-v111-transmitter01.jpg

I'm pretty confident that the receiver and transmitter are bound because I see the green light on the receiver and it turns red when I turn off the transmitter. The Naza on the other hand doesn't see the receiver, so regardless of the green light, I suppose the receiver could still be bad. It's either that or the Naza. Looks like I can get a new receiver for about $15 so I guess I'll try that.

That's what I would try next (new Rx), but first double-check inside the Phantom to make sure the 2 cables from the receiver sub-board (sits a bit lower than the mainboard) are fully seated on that and in the X1/X2 ports on the NAZA.

I messed around with it some more tonight. I noticed a flashing warning sign in the lower right corner of the Naza software. I clicked it and got this message:

I tried calibrating and power-cycling the transmitter like the instructions state, but that didn't help.

I noticed also on the "Upgrade" tab, the transmitter is listed (I didn't notice it before), and it states the firmware is up to date. Also, even though the flight controller is already at 4.02, I upgraded it again, imported default settings and re-set to D-Bus, with no improvement.

I'll order a new transmitter.

Attachments

• naza-cfg-err.jpg
    naza-cfg-err.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 799
I suppose the antenna in the controller could be unable to broadcast. Wire loose inside that white antenna. But if that is not it and you get another controller it isn't going to fix the problem. What does DJI mean when it says Re-calibrate your Transmitter and power cycle your controller.. arn't we talking about the same thing here. that white box that you hold in your hand is both the transmitter and controller, isn't it.. (the redundency bothers me, so I must have a misunderstanding here)

Where is it that you can change modes, and transfer the stick action...maybe toggle that. Are you set up as the correct type of quad? I don't mean to send you in circles, just trying to help

Wedeliver said:
What does DJI mean when it says Re-calibrate your Transmitter and power cycle your controller.. arn't we talking about the same thing here. that white box that you hold in your hand is both the transmitter and controller, isn't it.. (the redundency bothers me, so I must have a misunderstanding here)

DJI's use of the terminology is a little less than clear there. The "controller" they're referring to is the flight controller (NAZA in this case)...they're just telling you to power cycle the aircraft as well as the "white thing you hold with the sticks and switches on it" ;)

Transmitter is the "white box that you hold in your hand".
Controller is the flight controller, the Naza, inside the Phantom.

The new receiver arrived. It must have been on the slow boat from China because it took _forever_ to get here. That didn't fix it.

I'm going to borrow a transmitter from a friend at work. I have a feeling that it's the flight controller though which really stinks because that's the most expensive part. I'll post back after I try a different transmitter.

Weaver said:
[*] The RX binds to the TX (slow flashing green light on the RX viewed through the battery door, turns red when turning off TX)

Thanks

You are not properly bound. The light needs to be off. To turn off the green blinking light press the button again. It will go off, now you can fly.

I missed where you said "slow flashing green light". Sorry.. you are so close.

Craig

Weaver said:
Equally surprising though is that when I took it out for my first flight, I got the flashing yellow light which the manual says is no connection to the transmitter. Thanks

Looking in through the battery door can you see the LED on the receiver? If so what color is it with the transmitter off and then turned on.

Also does your receiver have two antennas, it should to match that transmitter.

Wayne

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl