I think I'm about to give up...

I would like to add, do this courteously and calmly. Don't go off on someone demanding they show you a regulation. Be respectful and politely inquire. Even if you need to pack it in for that day, get your information correct and if they are trying to blow sunshine 'you know where', you will be armed with the proper knowledge the next time.

This is important. Kind words and youthful curiosity when inquiring if it's ok to fly or when approached go a long way. Really, don't fight the power. They will only crack down harder on us as a whole if approached with any form of confrontation.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well I gave it another go to fly within 5 miles of San Diego international. When I called I went through a different process than before. I told I just wanted to notify and get acknowledgement but I was told as it is class b airspace, I have to get approval and this won't be obtained unless I do a certain number of things. I don't remember what she said I would have to do to fly there but it just seemed like a real hassle.

How close to the airport were you? Class B gradually extends upward the further you go out (commonly referred to as the upside down wedding cake). Study it. If you can give them your exact location and tell them specifically what class airspace you will be flying in you may have better luck. You may also try having a polite discussion with someone in management. There may simply be a lack of understanding. There is still a lot of education that needs to be done (on everyone's part)

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Here's why I would not fly in that area......

There is always a chance you could lose control of the aircraft model and it "could" go straight up into a heavy air traffic airspace or fly towards the airport that could be in range depending on where you are. Is it worth the risk?

It's about 3 miles north of the airport. However, I don't see it as much of a risk. This is because San Diego is a single runway airport and I want to fly perpendicular to it, which is out of the flight path. There's also an AMA field south of where I wanted to go and they hold rocket/quad events at this place as well. I'm just going to give up on that location and move on. I'm still trying to figure out why I can't fly at some of these parks. Their websites are pretty confusing and often contradicting themselves. I was supplied to get an email back with some info but no one has replied to my request.

Buzo, if you had gotten into the hobby even ONE year ago, things were much different. Things are spiraling downward at a rapid pace currently.
Just an opinion but for much of the country, this is a bad time to discover this hobby. I've been flying fixed wing models and Schluter / Excel and other rotor craft since the early 70's. I got one of the earliest digital proportional radio control units made. How many people here have ever even heard of Cox/Sanwa ? I STILL HAVE my first unit. Back then it was pure joy.

We live in a society racked with fear, corruption and power grabbing. Until (if ever) this returns to a more American way, this nonsense will get worse by the day. Personally, I'm decommissioning all my hobby aircraft because I disagree with the current mindset and direction the hobby is going. Now, if you live WAY out in the boonies you might still be in luck. I live in a densely populated area.

Register if you must to fly, and take your chances. But given the nature of these things, if you should have a flyaway now....and it goes the wrong way, you could find yourself in life altering circumstances....or worse. Add to that all the restrictions being introduced into the aircraft itself, the exponential increase in the number of posted "No-Fly" zones and bubba......It's just not a hobby anymore imo.

YMMV :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl