I think I'm about to give up...

Reaction score
I seriously don't know where the hell I can fly my P3A. Every time I find a nice, open place, quads are banned for some reason or another. It is either within 5 miles of an airport (which I have had bad luck getting permission from) or just the verbiage that "drones" are banned. Apparently all San Diego county parks have drones banned. The only places I know that aren't banned are over people's houses which is absolutely absurd. Any tips on what I can do would be much appreciated. I'm honestly debating returning my drone at this point even though I love the thing because I can't fly it anywhere!

Reactions: shorttimer
Sorry guy.

I don't know how dense an area you live, but you might study google maps and find a spot that way. Find a few possible spots, then find where you might put your car, and then go for a ride and check 'em out. You might get lucky. I did that and found a couple decent spots.

Don't give up! If you give up, they win.

Reactions: jointeffort
Thumbs up to the Google Maps idea. I regularly use that and Google Earth to scout out locations. Some good places I've found are simply on the shoulder of a road that climbs a hill, or has a view.

I'm honestly debating returning my drone at this point even though I love the thing because I can't fly it anywhere!

What a shame. Are those "prohibited" areas backed up by a local ordinance? Otherwise, it would seem that flying according to FAA rules would be okay. I've been in touch with my local authorities offering to educate them about the drone hobby. I'm hoping to avoid what you seem to be faced with–– people arbitrarily putting up "no drone" signs, whether authorized or not. Hopefully, if I can instill the fact that drones are regulated by the FAA, it will help. I wish you luck in finding a good place to fly!

Fyi you dont need the airports permision.
It is strongly suggested that you advise them but you dknt need to gain permision.
If they give you lip let them know "hey as a registered aircraft by the FAA i am follomg protocol by them. Am about 3 miles away and i wont be flying more than half a mile from my location which is still with in my sight and no more than 400 feet as per sugested by FAA".
Suck it

It is strongly suggested that you advise them but you dknt need to gain permision.
If they give you lip let them know "hey as a registered aircraft by the FAA i am follomg protocol by them. Am about 3 miles away and i wont be flying more than half a mile from my location which is still with in my sight and no more than 400 feet as per sugested by FAA".
Suck it
I've read threads on this and the interpretation on the guidance is that the FAA still has the ultimate authority as to where you can fly. Even though I had permission to fly at a nice spot once, I got denied later and that could make me liable if I flew per the interpretation (I'll try to find the thread I am referencing).

The way I am finding these places is Google maps and Hover for airport references. If any place is open, there's always a catch.

I know Poway has a ban city wide but it is only supposed to be enforced when there is a fire (which is understandable). If the park rangers said that the ordinances say no drones, what can you do? If flying compliantly with FAA regulation, it doesn't matter since they have the say in their area.

I just honestly wish I could get a responsible citizen license or something just because I am following all the rules and don't lose a danger. All these rules just hurt people like myself and the ones they want to prevent are still going to fly anyways. The BS of life here.

First off, only the FAA controls air space. Secondly, you only need to notify the tower if you will be in the 5 mile radius. You live in a very populated area so you will have some issues. Have you checked to see if there are any AMA fields nearby? And don't take just anybody word on it, ask to see the regulation that bans drones from the ranger or whoever it is.

First off, only the FAA controls air space. Secondly, you only need to notify the tower if you will be in the 5 mile radius. You live in a very populated area so you will have some issues. Have you checked to see if there are any AMA fields nearby? And don't take just anybody word on it, ask to see the regulation that bans drones from the ranger or whoever it is.
Couldnt hava been said better

Suck it
That's completely wrong. You might like to rethink it.
Your $5 drone registration doesn't give you any rights to anything like you imagine.

Reactions: Hamguy
I've read threads on this and the interpretation on the guidance is that the FAA still has the ultimate authority as to where you can fly. Even though I had permission to fly at a nice spot once, I got denied later and that could make me liable if I flew per the interpretation (I'll try to find the thread I am referencing).

The way I am finding these places is Google maps and Hover for airport references. If any place is open, there's always a catch.

I know Poway has a ban city wide but it is only supposed to be enforced when there is a fire (which is understandable). If the park rangers said that the ordinances say no drones, what can you do? If flying compliantly with FAA regulation, it doesn't matter since they have the say in their area.

I just honestly wish I could get a responsible citizen license or something just because I am following all the rules and don't lose a danger. All these rules just hurt people like myself and the ones they want to prevent are still going to fly anyways. The BS of life here.
Faa does have the word but you are calling airport tower not faa

Couldnt hava been said better
I would like to add, do this courteously and calmly. Don't go off on someone demanding they show you a regulation. Be respectful and politely inquire. Even if you need to pack it in for that day, get your information correct and if they are trying to blow sunshine 'you know where', you will be armed with the proper knowledge the next time.

The highly dense populated area is an issue but I was trying to circumvent that by going to large parks. I reached out to them to see if I can get some clarification. I've scoured their website to look for rules but can't find anything. I just feel like there can be some mutually agreed upon procedures that can make this work.

Interesting about the AMA fields. There is one that is actually of hot debate for me. It is located probably 2.5 miles north of San Diego International Airport. I tried to fly at an area north of that but the control tower denied me the second time I tried to fly since they said they can't authorize anyone within 5 miles. It's not in the flight path at all but if they were allowed to build a paved field there, you think I would be able to fly there too, but who the hell knows.

Welcome to the real (densely populated) world. Imagine, for argument's sake, that instead of a quadcopter, you have a dirt bike. Imagine your neighbors and local parks not wanting you to practice your hobby anywhere near them. Imagine having to get in your car and drive several hours to a deserted enough area that you aren't interfering with somebody else.

It IS a problem with so many people crammed into California. Personally, I think you are all insane, but I don't want you moving to MY neck of the woods. When I lived in Colorado (much less densely populated than most of California) there were decades long tensions between cross country skiiers and snow machine riders - and that in National Forest areas spanning hundreds of thousands of acres. After much Sturm Und Drang, they finally settled on an agreement where they segregated the two populations. That took a long time.

UAVs are brand new. It's going to take a while to come to some sort of balance between the wants and desires of everyone involved.

Or you can move to Alaska. I can take my drone from my back yard and put it into a two million acre National Forest. When it's not raining. Bring a raincoat, good boots and something else to do during the 330 cm of precip we get per year....

Reactions: JKDSensei
The highly dense populated area is an issue but I was trying to circumvent that by going to large parks. I reached out to them to see if I can get some clarification. I've scoured their website to look for rules but can't find anything. I just feel like there can be some mutually agreed upon procedures that can make this work.

Interesting about the AMA fields. There is one that is actually of hot debate for me. It is located probably 2.5 miles north of San Diego International Airport. I tried to fly at an area north of that but the control tower denied me the second time I tried to fly since they said they can't authorize anyone within 5 miles. It's not in the flight path at all but if they were allowed to build a paved field there, you think I would be able to fly there too, but who the hell knows.
AMA fields tend to be near airports, go figure. As far as permission, unless there is a NOTAM for your area they are full of it. Notify only, nothing more. If there is no overall restriction for "aircraft" which they have deemed our crafts, you should be good to go. I would consult the FAA over that one, or ask the tower why they are denying you. They don't need to 'authorize' anything.

It is challenging finding places to fly around here also. There is a city ordinance against model aircraft in city parks, the county also has one for county parks and the state also has one for all state parks.

It's important to understand what a airport control tower may be saying when you try to notify them of your plans. They do not authorize flights, but they can deny flights. Here is the ATCT notification guidance issued to control facilities

Attachments

• Guidance for UAS ATCT Notification Calls.pdf
    639.9 KB · Views: 424
Reactions: JKDSensei
It is challenging finding places to fly around here also. There is a city ordinance against model aircraft in city parks, the county also has one for county parks and the state also has one for all state parks.

It's important to understand what a airport control tower may be saying when you try to notify them of your plans. They do not authorize flights, but they can deny flights. Here is the ATCT notification guidance issued to control facilities
That's some good guidance. I think my error was asking permission to fly. I'll try to use some verbiage from that next time I call.

Does anyone know how to get a general email for ATC? I just would rather email my notice than call after reading the notice.

I totally hear ya. While I just bought my P3A. I did a lot of thinking and research before I did.

One of the my biggest "cons" against buying an AP Quad was the exact reasons you state; Where can I fly legally and hassle-free? I'm 2 miles outside of two airports and if I use that b4ufly app or whatever its called has me in a NFZ based on "heliports" or Hospitals with Helipads. Heck 3/4s of the city becomes a NFZ because of that.

I still bought one thinking, the only "city/suburb" flying I was going to do was practice flying. Places I plan on taking my P3A will hopefully be more friendly... But I told myself ahead of time, this thing may sit more than its used (meaning denied flight)....

I seriously don't know where the hell I can fly my P3A. Every time I find a nice, open place, quads are banned for some reason or another. It is either within 5 miles of an airport (which I have had bad luck getting permission from) or just the verbiage that "drones" are banned. Apparently all San Diego county parks have drones banned. The only places I know that aren't banned are over people's houses which is absolutely absurd. Any tips on what I can do would be much appreciated. I'm honestly debating returning my drone at this point even though I love the thing because I can't fly it anywhere!
Does anyone know how to get a general email for ATC? I just would rather email my notice than call after reading the notice.

I looked on the geofence page and there's a couple small red areas in town but plenty of places to go off of 94. I would head into the hills past Jamul or Lyons Valley. Really, you want some nice shots of nice places. Like Mission San Diego on top of the hill would be a great place to fly or out into Cleveland National Forest where the possibilities are endless or up the coast. The heck with filming roof tops :)

I might try up blacks and Swamis (but gotta give a glider port a call). I called San Diego international again with the new approach but my normal guy wasn't there. I'll probably call in the morning when I know he works.

Trust me, I was looking at places off the 94. I was looking at the San Diego wildlife refuge or Sweetwater but that's where I got denied. There's an AMA field off the 94 as well but that's also nothing exciting to shoot

Reactions: Reed L

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj