I now notify airports before I fly

IOS. It's by Analytica
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1452794690.502167.jpg

Hello everyone. I'm very new to this and I'm a little confused with the notification procedures. I live with the 5 mile radius of Teterboro airport in NJ. I call and notify them every time I fly and they are always pleasant and happy I called. From what I'm reading I'm supposed to notify all the heliports in my area also??
6fc12fd51a62482f18d4b218d0debdb7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hello everyone. I'm very new to this and I'm a little confused with the notification procedures. I live with the 5 mile radius of Teterboro airport in NJ. I call and notify them every time I fly and they are always pleasant and happy I called. From what I'm reading I'm supposed to notify all the heliports in my area also??
6fc12fd51a62482f18d4b218d0debdb7.jpg

You only need to notify heliports that have published IFP filed.
Use airman.io or google maps (search heliports) get the name of heliports, to find out if they have filed an IFP use this: AirNav: Airport Information
Put in the name or code of the heliport then check near the bottom of the page for that heliport where it says
Instrument Procedures

If it says:There are no published instrument procedures at (heliport code).
You are in the clear.

Air map.io use to give the heliport codes but now only gives the names, once again not making this any easier for us.

I still have not found a single heliport yet with a published IFP though. I look anyhow.

Reactions: cfd701
You only need to notify heliports that have published IFP filed.
Use airman.io or google maps (search heliports) get the name of heliports, to find out if they have filed an IFP use this: AirNav: Airport Information
Put in the name or code of the heliport then check near the bottom of the page for that heliport where it says
Instrument Procedures

You are in the clear.

Air map.io use to give the heliport codes but now only gives the names, once again not making this any easier for us.

I still have not found a single heliport yet with a published IFP though. I look anyhow.

There is no such thing as airman.io. I suppose you meant airmap.io.

Edit: Yes you did, you wrote airmap.io in the next paragraph.

Where did you get this information regarding IFP?

What does the F stand for?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

You realize this applies to commercial operators, right? Hobbyists have different rules, and the rules are even more vague. And most of us on this site are hobbyists. So your comment:

You are in the clear.

Is not necessarily correct.

But your links provide some nice clues and some direction that we otherwise wouldn't have. I liked the piece from the pilot lawyer even if it's a little dated. He's right - we're basically fumbling along and guessing what, when, where, and how certain rules apply.

Thanks again.

Usually the rules are more relaxed for non-commercial fliers. I can't say for sure about this but would say in all probability that you could use this for guidance.
Also It used to be listed here but has been recently changed. Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly
This is the page I think I first found it on.

Also
Thanks for the info.

You realize this applies to commercial operators, right? Hobbyists have different rules, and the rules are even more vague. And most of us on this site are hobbyists. So your comment:

You are in the clear.

Is not necessarily correct.

But your links provide some nice clues and some direction that we otherwise wouldn't have. I liked the piece from the pilot lawyer even if it's a little dated. He's right - we're basically fumbling along and guessing what, when, where, and how certain rules apply.

Thanks again.

This morning I had my first experience with calling an airport. I am going to visit family in Henderson NV this weekend, and their house backs up to Sloan Canyon Reserve. The problem is that it is 4 miles from Henderson Executive Airport.

I called and after talking to a couple very nice ladies, I ended up leaving a message with one of them for the Airport Manager. In the message I left my Name, Work number, the days I will be in the area, where I plan on flying, and that I will be staying under 400 feet. I assume that this is enough to consider that I have made them aware of my activity, but the lady taking the message said that generally if its within 5 miles they won't give me permission.

If the guy calls me back great, but I don't really expect him too.

My understanding is, you don't need their permission. All you need to do is identify yourself and advise them of your flight plan. You might give them your FA number. That's it, you're done.

If they come back and tell you not to fly, that may be a different story. But it sounds to me like these ladies you spoke with don't know what is going on with the rules as the pertain to hobbyist uas pilots.

Thanks for all the info. I have been notifying the airport but the heliports are harder to get in touch with. I've had nothing but a positive experience every time I've spoken to an airport. Only once did I have them call me back and that was just to see what time I would be done.
Thanks again for all the info.

See my first October 7 post above. It pretty much covers it. If you have something like the greenbelt-with-lake as I did nearby or around your home, you might want to arrange a standing agreement, wherein you don't need to call every time. Mine with Addison Airport in north Dallas is that in the greenbelt, I will fly within an area about 1/2 mile long and about 1/5 mile wide at no more than 200 feet AGL. That is plenty of room for practicing controls and flying patterns, and I can do it when I like without having to call the tower.

Since that post, I met the person in charge of the helipad at the hospital a mile NNE and showed her the arrangement with Addison, and taught her about FAA regs, and she showed me the approach lanes for choppers. She also agreed to that standing arrangement.

As for the small private airstrip to my ENE, they're farther than Addison and their airstrip runs N/S, so no conflict.

I hope this helps.

I've heard they "can" refuse you permission to fly, but that they have to have a very good reason for it, and inform you of it.

I tried that with Teterboro airport. I was told by the manager of north east air traffic that agreement is only for commercial drone flights? It appears that each airport has a different approach of how to handle a drone. I haven't tried the small heliports yet but I will! Thank you.

Last edited:
I tried that with Teterboro airport. I was told by the manager of north east air traffic that agreement is only for commercial drone flights? It appears that each airport has a different approach of how to handle a drone. I haven't tried the small heliports yet but I will! Thank you.

The memo to airports from the FAA states that if they tell you that you can't fly they must give you the reason for restricting you. I will see if I can find a copy of the memo they sent out along with the form they are supposed to use when recording your notification. I believe the form they fill out has a reason for declining section for them to note in as well. Whenever I called the ATC tower they were always reading from it directly to me over the phone. I did have a incident where the girl thought you needed a COA in order for to fly but I attempted to explain that is incorrect before talking to her supervisor and just taking my info anyway. I just use Airmap.com now though and they contact you via SMS to tell you your notification has been accepted or call you if you are being denied.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I was in Lake Tahoe on vacation. I called the little airport there. There were very nice and cordial.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl