I now notify airports before I fly

I wish the app had phone numbers.
Can we contact them on the air band via vhf raido lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yes you can. You need to get the correct frequency (call the tower) and have a conversation as to what you they want you to say. I've brought that up to my local tower. They're still confused. This whole thing is an entertaining work in progress....

If you have an iOS device (iPad or iPhone) you should get the app called Hover, it's great and free

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have said this verbatim. It's my favorite place to fly, where the planes aren't supposed to be.

Where I fly, the local airport (too small for a tower) is about two miles away - as the crow flies. I'm on the other side of a small mountain ridge, and under some really tall night lights for the softball fields. As another pilot mentioned, if they got anywhere near my bird, they are already on their way to a major plane crash. I'll get the footage live as it happens - ha.

Can you clarify a bit : So if you live/fly within 5 miles of an airport you are supposed to contact the airport. Who specifically do you contact? Are you asking for permission or just notifying them. I actually worked with a flight attorney on this and the person he spoke to at the airport just made a general statement and said , "you cant fly your drones near the airport"., Are we asking permission or just sending a general notification email? Has anyone had a response from the airport that told you not to fly near airport etc? Thank you, Steve

So the FAA released its app, B4UFLY, which lets you know what airports and/or heliports are within 5 miles of you. Lucky me - I have 5 of them. 1 hospital heliport, 1 private heliport, 2 community airports and 1 New Jersey Turnpike Authority heliport. Boy, are they going to get sick of hearing from me. I work from home and will take time during the day to grab a quick flight frequently. I'll be talking to them at least 5 times a week. Fortunately, the airports are OK with me emailing them in advance.

Since they are a few miles away, their aircraft are above 850 ft until final, which is about 1/2 mile out. If one of their planes is at or below 400 feet where I live, they have much bigger problems than my drone.

The heliports were surprised to hear from me and didn't quite know what to make of my notification. They said thanks and that was it.

Welcome to the new world.

https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_91-57A.pdf
Read paragraph 5 on page 2. "Model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower..."

I hear you, but I look at it as an opportunity to educate some people, that we're not flying Predators, but that most of us can't identify anyone from 200 feet any better than Google Earth can, and not as well as Street View can. Street view has to blur faces because their ID possibilities are greater than my P3P.
I have Addison Airport in north Dallas, two hospital helipads, two seldom-used private helipads, and a small private airfield identified by B4UFLY. I called the two hospitals last Friday and spoke to two people who had no Idea what I was calling about, but were willing to learn, and I'm giving them info to grease the skids for anyone else in the future in my area.
I called the contacts for the two private helipads, and if I don't hear back from them, well, I tried.
I set up a mutually agreed procedure with the FAA tower manager last month. I sent him maps of when and where I planned to fly, daylight only, max AGL 200 feet, and he replied with a standing agreement [subject to change (CYA language, as expected)].

If you approach it as an opportunity rather than a burden, most people will reply reasonably, and it's a chance for us to educate people in important places as to what we're doing, and show that it's not a threat to anyone's security or privacy. Otherwise, we let the Panic Peddlers control the issue.

Can you clarify a bit : So if you live/fly within 5 miles of an airport you are supposed to contact the airport. Who specifically do you contact? Are you asking for permission or just notifying them. I actually worked with a flight attorney on this and the person he spoke to at the airport just made a general statement and said , "you cant fly your drones near the airport"., Are we asking permission or just sending a general notification email? Has anyone had a response from the airport that told you not to fly near airport etc? Thank you, Steve

See my post below yours. Find the phone number for the airport tower and ask for the manager. Explain why you're calling; to comply with FAA regs. The manager may not know what you're talking about and may have missed the notice I cited. Offer to send info to show when and where you'll fly, and whatever you do, DON'T be condescending!

Ask and I'll post a slightly redacted copy of what I sent to help anyone compose one. I'm not sure how to contact a member, but what the hey:
P3P at diverdan dot name

get yourself an aircraft Freq Radio tune into the tower and make your announcement just like normal aircraft do, I'm a pilot, makes sense.. and there technically is no requirement unless you have a need, and you do!

get yourself an aircraft Freq Radio tune into the tower and make your announcement just like normal aircraft do, I'm a pilot, makes sense.. and there technically is no requirement unless you have a need, and you do!
see I agree with you as a pilot and have been around airports this should be acceptable way of contact to the airport and other aircraft in the area as long as the contact is professional

Don't you have to have a ground license to transmit on FAA freqs?
Hmm yes good point that's been more or less over looked it's easy enought to get the license especially now that we have faa registered aircraft lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I find it somewhat humorous that a lot of people on here consider themselves "pilots", but when asked to do what pilots routinely have to do (contact the tower, obey airspace restrictions, yada, yada, yada...) they get all up in arms about being limited by flight rules. The rules are there for everyones safety, but especially for those who are actually IN that airspace at the time. Most would rather not have to behave "just like normal aircraft". I find that a bit naive. I am not hatin' on anybody. I, like you @Bryonheath, figure if you want to act like a pilot, then act like a pilot.

I find it somewhat humorous that a lot of people on here consider themselves "pilots", but when asked to do what pilots routinely have to do (contact the tower, obey airspace restrictions, yada, yada, yada...) they get all up in arms about being limited by flight rules. The rules are there for everyones safety, but especially for those who are actually IN that airspace at the time. Most would rather not have to behave "just like normal aircraft". I find that a bit naive. I am not hatin' on anybody. I, like you @Bryonheath, figure if you want to act like a pilot, then act like a pilot.
The basic problem is that the FAA is still dragging their feet. Lots of memos, lots of meetings. No regs. The registration didn't help anything except perhaps to calm some wound up Senator down. And no, the FAA didn't register your Phantom. It registered YOU. So, according to the regs as I read them, you can't transmit on an aircraft radio without a ground station license. It would make perfect sense to have UAVs contact local airspace but that's going to have to be done in a careful, structured manner to prevent "Hi y'all! I'm gonna fly my drone around! Watch me do flips!" or similar. CB part 2 we don't need.

The basic problem is that the FAA is still dragging their feet. Lots of memos, lots of meetings. No regs. The registration didn't help anything except perhaps to calm some wound up Senator down. And no, the FAA didn't register your Phantom. It registered YOU. So, according to the regs as I read them, you can't transmit on an aircraft radio without a ground station license. It would make perfect sense to have UAVs contact local airspace but that's going to have to be done in a careful, structured manner to prevent "Hi y'all! I'm gonna fly my drone around! Watch me do flips!" or similar. CB part 2 we don't need.

I don't disagree with that at all, and the FAA had ME registered a long time ago.

Many of the private airstrips aren't listed in the FAA site. However, I found an excellent site that lists all the requisite info, including contact phone numbers for owners and managers of every listed airport and helipad. The link is AirNav: Airport Information

Also try the app Hover. By touching the yellow circle, the app provides the airport name and phone number.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4