I lost it.. :((

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, I about lost mine last night, and I've been flying awhile! About 12 minutes into my flight at 150' altitude I encountered a strong wind which blew me off course and I could not get her close to me! Luckily I still was able to still control altitude if not much else, I dropped down to 30'and the wind was worse, so I ascended to 350 to 375 before I could get her headed my way! I was never so happy to hand land her as I had 10 minutes battery left!!!,

Always fly into the wind on very windy days. If you dont it is great going out but brown trousers time on the way back :)

Dont forget to put your phone number on every part you can remove, obviously not the props, but batteries, controller, drone etc. Then if you do lose it and someone does find it you stand a better chance of getting it back. E.g :- 01233 8383838 REWARD

I'm sure I had OA enabled because I was testing it out because n a football field on the stadium lighting poles last weekend and it worked fine but I didn't lose GPS and I wasn't in RTH either so it don't really matter much but I'd really like to understand everything that happened yesterday and maybe DJI will shed a little light on it to as to the cause of it .
The detailed .DAT logs recorded on the P4P (which DJI will no doubt ask for) should indicate the state of all options. It will be very interesting to hear what they say, please let us know.

chazzm, start reading from post #1 above ;)
In your opinion msinger, what do you think happened here in this case with settings ect? Do you think the drone failed with OA on this RTH? Think OP just said that OA was almost def activated? I didn't see in this thread where you stated any opinions as to what might have happened. Again, thanks for being so sharp and helpful with all your knowledge on these birds.

Assuming the OP had OA on and also had the forward vision positioning system on, the cause of the crash is either malfunction, or the fact that the building was hard for the drone to see because of the glass/reflective surfaces which the manual does indicate is something that the drone can have problems with.

Reactions: Pharm
Assuming the OP had OA on and also had the forward vision positioning system on, the cause of the crash is either malfunction, or the fact that the building was hard for the drone to see because of the glass/reflective surfaces which the manual does indicate is something that the drone can have problems with.
I don't know if you're right or wrong, but looking at the video... if a properly functioning OA system couldn't see that then OA is useless.

Reactions: hidaven
What an amazing thread, amazing story, and amazing sleuthing! I just finished reading da whole ting.

When I updated the firmware on my P4P two days ago, the RTH altitude was reset to the default 30 meters. For me, it needs to be 52 meters but I've flown 4 times since the update without remembering to reset the RTH altitude.. I ain't forgettin' no more!

Reactions: hotashes
I have to say I just learned LOTS from this thread. Glad ya got it back!

Would love to see a thread on how you all tracked and found that baby..Via google earth etc...TOP NOTCH

This was a good learning experience for us all. DJI has done a good job with the data logs.

I've outfitted my drone with in a Trackimo.com GPS type tracker. After reading this thread, maybe I don't need it as much as I thought I did. Just another level of safety. It would have helped you find the drone a few hours earlier.
My trackimo as of late hardly works at all.

The detailed .DAT logs recorded on the P4P (which DJI will no doubt ask for) should indicate the state of all options. It will be very interesting to hear what they say, please let us know.
Will do, DJI already sent me a shipping label and I already sent it to them so I'm guessing they'll ask me sent them the data uploaded here yesterday or if the copter has a copy they wont need it but I can also send them the video if needed, will this automatically go to my DJI Care or could this be covered by the warranty if something is found to be faulty ??

You guys are amazing to pinpoint the crash location!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What great talent we have here on the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was a good learning experience for us all. DJI has done a good job with the data logs.

I've outfitted my drone with in a Trackimo.com GPS type tracker. After reading this thread, maybe I don't need it as much as I thought I did. Just another level of safety. It would have helped you find the drone a few hours earlier.
Who needs a Trackimo when you have a trackimsinger strapped to one leg and a trackimeta4 to the other! Wow!

Sent from my XT1585 using PhantomPilots mobile app

It doesn't work in S mode does it?
Nope , it doesn't work in s mode so I do all this checking for take off and landings. DJI, you build a great craft, now programme RTH to turn on OA and control speed as ground speed (the max OA can take) so we can make it back against the wind if muck up and need RTH, please.

OA during RTH requires both of the following:

-you were flying in P mode
-you have forward vision positioning system turned on (note that you could have OA on but have this system disabled, it's just one part of OA, but there are other sensors involved in OA so its sort of independent)
-you also need to have enabled the various OA items such as go around/over objects etc, otherwise it will stop and hover until low battery

It is very possible the P4P couldn't see the glass/windows in the OP's case.

I'm sure that RTH will be activated on any emergency circumstances.. doesn't matter you are in Sport Mode or NOT..

And once RTH is activated its logical that OA is activated automatically as well, how else the P4P is going to fly home?

I'm sure that RTH will be activated on any emergency circumstances.. doesn't matter you are in Sport Mode or NOT..

And once RTH is activated its logical that OA is activated automatically as well, how else the P4P is going to fly home?
On the first point, yes. On the second, while it would indeed be eminently logical that's apparently not how it works, if OA is turned off then it's off for all modes, including RTH. In that case the unit will RTH using GPS at its preset RTH altitude, and that's it.

I would be the first to agree that OA should be automatically activated during RTH though. I mean, it's an emergency recovery mode for situations where you might be out of control of the aircraft so when would you ever not want it? I don't understand why DJI hasn't implemented it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: hotashes

edit: correcting myself, if you are in sport it DOES re-enable OA.

But be warned! RTH does not automatically use OA. There is a setting you have to enable in order to allow RTH to use OA that is disabled by default. I have a feeling a lot of people out there are incorrectly flying under the assumption that RTH automatically uses OA when in fact you have to turn on this setting in order for that to be true.

Last edited:
I think it bears repeating that OA requires adequate lighting to work. Thus it would have been useless (ineffectual) given the lighting conditions shown in the last minutes of the video even if the OP had it turned on ( or it came on automatically).

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pharm

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canadiansauna