I have NOT had a flyaway

K

Khudson7

Ok...I am really going out on a limb here and hope I am not testing my LUCK!

I have had my phantom 2 with go pro/gimble now, for about 4 months. I have kept the software on version 2(afraid to upgrade because of the horror stories here).

What has really caused me a lot of fear every time I go out, is all of the reports here about lost phantoms, flyways, etc. supposedly not from pilot error. This fear is always in the back of my mind and sometimes while flying, prevents me from concentrating as much as I should on getting good video shots. Over the last 4 months I have flown many times now and push it further and further. When I added fpv, I now often send it out so far I can no longer see it and use the controls from iosd to bring it back. To date, knock on wood, it has perform admirably.

So, I am wondering how many others out there, fly regularly and have NOT had any flyaway problems or not had any malfunctions not do to pilot error.

We always hear about the flyways, but never from those that have not had any problems.

Just trying to work through some of my fears that I have, from reading so many bad reports, hoping that there are more out there that have not had problems, and have had successful flights without problems, like I have(at least so far).

Whoops, thanks for that link...missed that thread. Glad to hear there are others out there, not experiencing all of the problems we hear about here.

Yeah, it is nice to see a positive post now and again!

Take care, Fly safe.

Flying Cephlopod said:
I haven't had a fly-away, but I had read that any radio-controlled UAV can potentially experience fly-away.

But 99.9% dont. Most are down to user error.

Mal_PV2_Ireland said:
Flying Cephlopod said:
I haven't had a fly-away, but I had read that any radio-controlled UAV can potentially experience fly-away.

But 99.9% dont. Most are down to user error.
99.9 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.
No one here (and probably not even DJI) knows the real number of true flyaways vs pilot errors. These are very complex machines. They do fail.

Khudson7 said:

I have had my phantom 2 with go pro/gimble now, for about 4 months. I have kept the software on version 2(afraid to upgrade because of the horror stories here).

What has really caused me a lot of fear every time I go out, is all of the reports here about lost phantoms, flyways, etc. supposedly not from pilot error. This fear is always in the back of my mind and sometimes while flying, prevents me from concentrating as much as I should on getting good video shots. Over the last 4 months I have flown many times now and push it further and further. When I added fpv, I now often send it out so far I can no longer see it and use the controls from iosd to bring it back. To date, knock on wood, it has perform admirably.

So, I am wondering how many others out there, fly regularly and have NOT had any flyaway problems or not had any malfunctions not do to pilot error.

We always hear about the flyways, but never from those that have not had any problems.

Just trying to work through some of my fears that I have, from reading so many bad reports, hoping that there are more out there that have not had problems, and have had successful flights without problems, like I have(at least so far).
---------------------------------------------------
This may not help, it seems these fly-aways are not distance based they can happen 5 meters to 5k away, so it seems.
"they" also say it's as nearly always user issues.

There are mixed views on this outlook, our shop said (as he laughed at me) no..no it's always a user doing things wrong, personally I think this gives them a false excuse and makes for a condescending phone call.

Khudson7 said:

I have had my phantom 2 with go pro/gimble now, for about 4 months. I have kept the software on version 2(afraid to upgrade

Hi, Just another good news for the scarie topic about flyways, reading this post gave me more confidence when flying my Phantom vision, from my side I can assure that I have not had a flyway, keeping the software on version 2 too, and doing the check list before flight including the K-index monitor.

Take care and fly safe

6 months I've had my phantom 1.1.1. Had 1 flyaway after ~75 flights. NOT pilot error.
Great machines, but not foolproof.
DJI would have a pretty good idea on how many flyaways, but will never post it.
Good luck to all, I always worry now.
Keep up your software, do your due diligence.

It's an opportunity for a competitor to come out with a better solution.

Sometimes that matters, but sometimes it does not matter. I have some product examples in mind, but I do not want to trigger a piss fight.

I'm guessing that among this "middle ground" market for UAV's--such as the DJI Phantom series--that DJI has the momentum.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl