How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

FYI:
I talked to the FAA yesterday the only people who need to take the knowledge test are ones who want to fly commercial. The test sites will be announced later with the
locations and cost for the test for hobby people this does not effect you, you are good to go as is......
Correct. This thread is for us who want to fly commercially. Nothing has changed for those who want to fly as a hobby only.

Reactions: PhotoSesh
Yep, I did the course and it had some practice questions and at the end, I click on the two chapter buttons to show I had completed them. Then the review button and the Exam button. Must take the exam all at once. There were about 35 questions, easy enough and the you grade it. Anything you miss, you can re-select the correct answer and grade it again until you've passed. Then print your certificate or mail it to yourself. Next I'm looking at that Form 8710-13 on the iacra.faa.gov site. But following the instructions, the Remote Pilot option isn't a choice in the application process. I'm not sure they've got it available.

Took the course and passed it. But it is only good for those that already hold a part 61 pilot certification and a current review. For the rest of us it is only a self study. You will still need to go to a FAA approved knowledge testing center and take a schedule test. cost is predicted to be $150.00, 60 questions on the test and must pass with a 70%. Once you pass the class then you can go complete FAA Form 8710-13 for a remote pilot certificate.
Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - Course Overview - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Becoming a Pilot (Application process)

If you already have a part 61 certificate, you just need to take the online test. 35 questions and anything you miss, you go back and correct till you get 100%. I took it this afternoon. Should be good to go in August.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can't find a way to register for the exam in my state either. I assume it hasn't been fully rolled out yet and will have to wait until end of Aug.

Here is some information that I found.

The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than hobby and recreation. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address sUAS classification, certification, and operating rules.

This course is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders who have a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR part 61.56) and wish to obtain a part 107 remote pilot certificate with an sUAS rating. References to “part 61 pilot certificate holders” specifically refer to holders of pilot certificates other than student pilot certificates. Part 61 pilot certificates include sport pilot, recreational pilot, private pilot, commercial pilot and air transport pilot certificates.

As a certificated pilot, much of what you already know about manned aircraft applies to the operation of small unmanned aircraft. This course assumes the learner has operational knowledge of 14 CFR part 61, Certification: Pilots, Flight Instructors, and Ground Instructors, and 14 CFR part 91, General Operating and Flight Rules. The course focuses on the knowledge areas of 14 CFR part 107 that are beyond the operational knowledge of parts 61 and 91.

Others may take this course as a self-study resource, including:

• Applicants for a part 107 remote pilot certificate who do not hold a part 61 pilot certificate (or part 61 pilot certificate holders without a current flight review)
  • Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
  • Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107
Course Content and Objectives
When you complete this course, you will be able to identify:

• Requirements to obtain a part 107 remote pilot certificate with a small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS) rating
  • Characteristics of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) as stipulated in part 107
  • Exclusions from the requirements in part 107
  • Requirements for sUAS registration, markings, and condition
  • Possible supporting crew roles in sUAS operations
  • Best practices for crew management
  • Recommended maintenance procedures for sUAS
  • Inspection requirements to verify that the sUAS is in condition for safe operation
  • Restrictions and procedures for safe loading of sUAS
  • Procedures for evaluating performance during UAS operations
  • Effects of weather on sUAS operations
  • Operational requirements and limitations for sUAS
  • Procedures for requesting a waiver for eligible requirements in part 107
  • Abnormal and emergencies situations that may arise during sUAS operations
  • Requirements for reporting accidents resulting from sUAS operations
Course Structure

This course uses Flash, which you will open in the next chapter. It will take approximately 2 hours to complete this material.

When you complete the Flash portion of the course, you will find a page with related links and reference materials.

At the end of the course is a review.

Following the review is a multiple choice online exam that you will need to take in a single session. Note: If you have difficulty reaching the Review and/or Exam sections after viewing the course, please go to your account on FAASafety.gov, log in, go to your Courses In Progress page (located under the Courses link under the Activities, Courses & Seminars tab), and click on Continue. If the Review and/or Exam buttons are “grayed out”, be sure each of the previous chapter buttons are completed by clicking on each in turn. This will activate the Review button, which when clicked, will activate the Exam button.

This course was last updated 06-21-2016.

For all other problems, concerns, or questions with the site or how this course runs on your system please contact us through one of the following methods:

Course Credit
To receive appropriate course credit for this course you must:

• Have an account on FAASafety.gov
  • Be logged into that account
  • Be enrolled in the course
  • You must visit each chapter of the course, using the navigation bars at the top or bottom of each screen, and complete all the course material found on each.
NOTE: Some links may take you to other sites or open windows on top of the course window. You will need to return to this course on FAASafety.gov to complete the online exam. This might be as simple as closing all the additional windows.However, you may find it necessary to return to FAASafety.gov, log in again, and then “continue” the course from the Course List.

• Upon completion of the review section the “EXAM” button will turn blue indicating you are ready to start the examination. Upon successful completion of the exam you are given the appropriate course credit automatically. You may then print a course completion certificate.

What gripes me a bit is that I paid a company a lot of money to do all the paper work for my 333 Exemption back in November of 2015. I still don't have my exemption, and now it seems that the 333 is a moot point with rule 107. For someone that is trying their best to give a good name to drone use, and someone that has followed all the rules, it seems that the rules are changing so fast that we can't keep up with all the changes before they are changed again. It is what it is I guess. So, can anyone tell me what a 333 Exemption is good for now? I have emailed the closest FAA testing facility requesting information about the knowledge test, but have yet to hear back from them. When I do, I will make sure to post any and all information here.

Last edited:
Here's a link to WHERE you can take the tests once they become available
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf
Actually not all of these locations will be able to give the test we need.
I called the flight school on Schaumberg, IL as its closest to me and after checking the woman told me that the only place n my area to take it will be at O'Hare Airport at an FAA office there.
And no, no one has the info on what exactly we need to study yet. It will be a lot of the Ground School stuff, but more specific to UAS operations.
Supposed to all be in place by August....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you already have a part 61 certificate, you just need to take the online test. 35 questions and anything you miss, you go back and correct till you get 100%. I took it this afternoon. Should be good to go in August.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
Don't forget the 'current review' requirement, I have the part 61 cert but lack the review. I have already passed the test but the 'review' is going to be expensive, I assume it is like the old BFR plus a Flight Physical w/EKG. I could be looking a $1000 for everything. Anyone have recent experience with the 'review' part? I'll probably be better off going with the other test for $150.

FYI:
I talked to the FAA yesterday the only people who need to take the knowledge test are ones who want to fly commercial. The test sites will be announced later with the
locations and cost for the test for hobby people this does not effect you, you are good to go as is......
Yep, this whole thread is specifically for those of us looking to do commercial UAS flying.

Copy of the three tier announcement letter. If you have a 333 already filed, it will act basically as your application. You will be notified what tier you are.. Sounds like if you don't hear from them in 60 days consider yourself Tier 1 I guess? This is a very useful thread.. Let's keep the information flowing. :)

Regulations.gov

Also.. Which is the best course study link.. One link here has a 471 page PDF that is Pilot training more generally, the other seems a lot more specific to 107 sUAS (this one):

Activities, Courses, Seminars & Webinars - ALC_Content - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Last edited:
Don't forget the 'current review' requirement, I have the part 61 cert but lack the review. I have already passed the test but the 'review' is going to be expensive, I assume it is like the old BFR plus a Flight Physical w/EKG. I could be looking a $1000 for everything. Anyone have recent experience with the 'review' part? I'll probably be better off going with the other test for $150.

You'll need to visit your local CFI and see exactly how/what they expect from you. Technically you should be able to get signed off with a state issued Driver's License because the Sports PL is acceptable for Part 107 and it only requires a DL to suffice. But you will need to take your Check Ride (BFR) to demonstrate you're still "current". I took mine to keep my PPL current in December and it was less than $500 for the ground and flight portion. I think the BFR min is 1hr ground and 1hr of flight demonstrations.

Reactions: BigRotor

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl