How to take the Initial aeronautical knowledge test?

You'll need to visit your local CFI and see exactly how/what they expect from you. Technically you should be able to get signed off with a state issued Driver's License because the Sports PL is acceptable for Part 107 and it only requires a DL to suffice. But you will need to take your Check Ride (BFR) to demonstrate you're still "current". I took mine to keep my PPL current in December and it was less than $500 for the ground and flight portion. I think the BFR min is 1hr ground and 1hr of flight demonstrations.

Big Al,

From my interpretation of the Tier letter link I posted, I don't think it is going to be as extensive (and hopefully not as expensive) as you're indicating. I believe they are trying very hard to make this still safe but reachable by folks without going through the full rigors of a PPL..

Big Al,

From my interpretation of the Tier letter link I posted, I don't think it is going to be as extensive (and hopefully not as expensive) as you're indicating. I believe they are trying very hard to make this still safe but reachable by folks without going through the full rigors of a PPL..

I'm just speaking on behalf of those with a Part 61 certificate and how to utilize that to meet the needed requirements and not take the whole aeronautical knowledge test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm located in Kalispell Montana, I called the FAA testing center here and was advised that they do not have the test here yet. She said to check back in August. Just a couple more months and hopefully (of course this is the federal government) all will be in place.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

As a certificated pilot I took the online course and test.
After passing my test I reached out to the FAA to ask when I could add the rating to my pilot certificate, here is there answer.

Mr. Daniels,

The Remote Pilot in Command Certification will not be granted until the rule takes affect in August 2016. You can submit your Course Completion certificate at that time to show evidence of completion.

More information on the small UAS rule is available on our website at Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]

The test for non pilots will consist of questions for the new part 107 regs, and questions from the existing pilot certificate test, including Weather, Airspace, and Sectionals.
So learn how to translate a METAR, learn the airspace regulations, and how to read a sectional.

The test will be given at the same FAA test centers as all pilots written tests are. Generally a small General Aviation airport with a flight school.

Here is the Certificate of Achievement I received for completing the course and test.

13495406_10209791729855106_6184503332083926561_o.jpg

Reactions: Airbroker
As a certificated pilot I took the online course and test.
After passing my test I reached out to the FAA to ask when I could add the rating to my pilot certificate, here is there answer.

Mr. Daniels,

The Remote Pilot in Command Certification will not be granted until the rule takes affect in August 2016. You can submit your Course Completion certificate at that time to show evidence of completion.

More information on the small UAS rule is available on our website at Unmanned Aircraft Systems.

Regards,
FAA UAS Integration Office
[email protected]

The test for non pilots will consist of questions for the new part 107 regs, and questions from the existing pilot certificate test, including Weather, Airspace, and Sectionals.
So learn how to translate a METAR, learn the airspace regulations, and how to read a sectional.

The test will be given at the same FAA test centers as all pilots written tests are. Generally a small General Aviation airport with a flight school.

Here is the Certificate of Achievement I received for completing the course and test.

First congrats... Second, I'm confused. You took the test online, yet they're saying it is administered at Aviation Centers, or is it a different test? Just as a head's up how much was 107 related vs. general aviation? Just curious.. Thanks and again congrats.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
JayS_CT
Thanks,
As an FAA pilots certificate holder I can currently fly drones commercially under anyone's 333 exemption. I don't have to have my own 333. When part 107 goes into effect I will need the FAA sUAS pilot certificate. As pilots such as myself are already in the system to ease the transition they created an online test for us.

Non pilots are not in the FAA system yet. So they need to show up in person to take the test. A big part of the reason for this is to verify who you are. When you apply for any pilots certificate you agree to a TSA background check. Then as a certificated pilot every few years they run you again.
Once you have your certificate it never expires, However just like with flying full size aircraft to legally fly, every couple years you need to test to stay current. Difference is for full size aircraft it is an oral review and a flight test. sUAS will be a written.

The online test I took is different. It only covered part 107. However at the end of the online class I had the option to take a practice test, which I did. It had several standard questions right out of the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook". Like I previously stated it had weather, Airspace, and Sectional (Airspace Chart/Map) questions.

I am glad to answer any questions you may have.

Mike

Reactions: BigAl07
BigAI07 While going to a CFI will work I think the local FSDO or even DPE would be better as they can issue you a temporary paper pilots certificate that you can fly on while you wait for your plastic card to come. A CFI cannot issue a temporary flight certificate.
If your BFR (Bi Annual Flight Review) is current then you don't need to take another one before it's due to qualify for your sUAS

JayS_CT
Thanks,
As an FAA pilots certificate holder I can currently fly drones commercially under anyone's 333 exemption. I don't have to have my own 333. When part 107 goes into effect I will need the FAA sUAS pilot certificate. As pilots such as myself are already in the system to ease the transition they created an online test for us.

Non pilots are not in the FAA system yet. So they need to show up in person to take the test. A big part of the reason for this is to verify who you are. When you apply for any pilots certificate you agree to a TSA background check. Then as a certificated pilot every few years they run you again.
Once you have your certificate it never expires, However just like with flying full size aircraft to legally fly, every couple years you need to test to stay current. Difference is for full size aircraft it is an oral review and a flight test. sUAS will be a written.

The online test I took is different. It only covered part 107. However at the end of the online class I had the option to take a practice test, which I did. It had several standard questions right out of the FAA "Airplane Flying Handbook". Like I previously stated it had weather, Airspace, and Sectional (Airspace Chart/Map) questions.

I am glad to answer any questions you may have.

Mike

Mike..

Thanks.. So I already have my 333 exemption in, which makes it sound from the email I received, will transfer to my "application" under 107.. so guess I'll need to schedule a test time locally after August. I received an email saying that current 333 applicants would be placed into 1 or 3 different tiers. One tier requires no further action and sounds like if you don't hear anything in 60 days you're good to go. The other two require some action... I posted the link to that above.

Mike,
Thank you for the post! Very helpful. It seems that it will be VERY easy for existing pilot's who have their PART-61 certification. For those of us who are non pilots but want to fly the UAS commercially, it appears it will not be just an easy peazy online test and receive your Part 107 Certificate. For the sake of this thread, I hope I can post or someone else can post who has CONCRETE details on the list below.

For those of us seeking Part 107 we know that this is not needed for hobby flying. Just wanted to clarify that.

So here is the list of info I think everyone wanting to do this needs:

FOR NON PILOTS SEEKING PART 107 CERTIFICATION:
1. The cost to take the test.
1a. If you fail the test, is there a waiting period to retake? Is there an additional cost to retake?
2. A valid / CURRENT list of testing locations
3. A "for sure" study guide. Most will want a guide that has all we need to know, nothing more, nothing less.
4. A specific date when we can actually take the test (it seems that could be August, maybe later??)
5. Steps to register and get cleared by the TSA
6. Do we have to receive "mailed" certificate in order to fly commercially or will the online confirmation due until we get the hard copy in the mail.
7. Even if we can take the test before August and pass, do we have to wait until a specific date in Aug to fly COMMERCIALLY (we know we can fly as a hobbyist without Part 107)

Reactions: cfd701

Mike in your estimation how long was the test?
Did you just jump in and take it or did you go through the "study guide" etc?

Last edited:
Mike..

Thanks.. So I already have my 333 exemption in, which makes it sound from the email I received, will transfer to my "application" under 107.. so guess I'll need to schedule a test time locally after August. I received an email saying that current 333 applicants would be placed into 1 or 3 different tiers. One tier requires no further action and sounds like if you don't hear anything in 60 days you're good to go. The other two require some action... I posted the link to that above.
The 333 is not about who is flying the drone. It is about using the drone for comercial purposes in US airspace.

Currently a 333 holder can not legally fly drones for comercial use unless he has a pilot certificate. When part 107 goes active in August you will need a sUAS rating pilot certificate. The difference is if you are already a pilot you just need to take the online corse and test.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Mike in your estimation how long was the test?
Did you just jump in and take it or did you go through the "study guide" etc?
Well the actual test I took was 35 questions I think... Sorry I didn't make a note of it. They gave me 90 minutes I believe. The test non pilots will take will most likely be longer.
The practice test referenced images in the FAA pilot test supplement http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf just like the airplane pilots tests do.

I took the FAA sUAS online class through my FAAST account. The test was not available to me until I did. Periodically through the course there would be questions to answer to help check your progress. At the end I had a choice of the practice test which had the airplane pilot tests questions in it about weather, airspace and sectionals.
I knew I should have taken notes ;)

If there is an FAA study guide for the sUAS test I have not seen it.

Well the actual test I took was 35 questions I think... Sorry I didn't make a note of it. They gave me 90 minutes I believe. The test non pilots will take will most likely be longer.
The practice test referenced images in the FAA pilot test supplement http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf just like the airplane pilots tests do.

I took the FAA sUAS online class through my FAAST account. The test was not available to me until I did. Periodically through the course there would be questions to answer to help check your progress. At the end I had a choice of the practice test which had the airplane pilot tests questions in it about weather, airspace and sectionals.
I knew I should have taken notes ;)
Thank you. That's where I saw it on FAAST I just need to sit down and take it.

If there is an FAA study guide for the sUAS test I have not seen it.
Course Outline or something like that. I checked it out one day last week but it was a video overview or something like that.

Thank you. That's where I saw it on FAAST I just need to sit down and take it.

Course Outline or something like that. I checked it out one day last week but it was a video overview or something like that.

The questions in the actual online sUAS test were just part 107.
They give you all the info in the course, you will do fine. it's a drop in the bucket compared to a airplane pilots written. The course did take a lot longer than I anticipated. After I did it and posted to FB a few of my pilot buddies did it, no problem. they let you review the ones you missed online even.

You should be fine. Just give yourself time to take the course

Can anyone shed light on where we would take the initial aeronautical knowledge test that is referenced in the newly released Part 107 Summary that was released today? I do want to fly my drone for "some" commercial purposes and I have been waiting since first of Jan for 333 exemption.

So if anyone can shed some light on how/where to take this test it would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any info on it.

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

You can always ask the FAA via [email protected]
My understand is that this test will be treated like the standard pilot written test.

Thanks Mike_Flys!

>1. I understand the cost of the will be the same as all FAA written tests at test centers $150

>2. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

3. A "for sure" study guide. Most will want a guide that has all we need to know, nothing more, nothing less.
>3. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

Good info so far! Still looking for the rest: I sent an email to the FAA to ask.

1a. If you fail the test, is there a waiting period to retake? Is there an additional cost to retake?
4. A specific date when we can actually take the test (it seems that could be August, maybe later??)
6. Do we have to receive "mailed" certificate in order to fly commercially or will the online confirmation due until we get the hard copy in the mail.
7. Even if we can take the test before August and pass, do we have to wait until a specific date in Aug to fly COMMERCIALLY (we know we can fly as a hobbyist without Part 107)

Reactions: Brock123
Thanks Mike_Flys!

>1. I understand the cost of the will be the same as all FAA written tests at test centers $150

>2. http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/media/test_centers.pdf

>3. https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf

Good info so far! Still looking for the rest: I sent an email to the FAA to ask.

1a. from https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/acs/media/uas_acs.pdf
Retaking the UAS knowledge test after a failure:
• 14 CFR part 107, section 107.71 specifies that an applicant who fails the knowledge test may not retake the knowledge test for 14 calendar days from the date of the previous failure.
• An applicant retesting after failure is required to submit the applicable AKTR indicating failure to the testing center prior to retesting.
• No instructor endorsement or other form of written authorization is required to retest after failure. (Not required to test the first time in this case ether)
• The original failed AKTR must be retained by the proctor and attached to the applicable daily log

5. Your pilot certificate application takes care of it... happens behind the scenes.
6. you must take the required paperwork to the local FSDO (Flight District Service Office) or DPE. They should issue you a temporary pilots certificate (paper) that is legal to fly on for 120 days while you wait for your plastic card to arrive.
7. Only current pilots can take the online test before August. Non pilots must wait till august to take the test at a test center.
Current pilots like myself who have already passed the online test can not get the sUAS certificate until August. Part 107 does not go into effect until August and can not fly under a regulation that is not in effect yet.

Mike you are da bomb!!! That pretty much sums up everything I need to know and hopefully 99% of others in the same boat as me. Thank you for all the info!!

Tim D

Reactions: Mike_Flys

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20