How to fly perfectly straight

Reaction score
Sorry if this seems like a noob question but I am having a heck of a time figuring this out. I do real estate photography and videography. I am trying to do a flight, about 100 feet over a house, where I am looking straight down. I want the drone to fly in a perfectly straight line. I know there is course lock but no matter how hard I try and no matter how careful I am with the controls, I always end up rotating the drone while I am flying. Even a degree or two is bad. This is a very noticeable mistake because typically the peak of a roof is what I am trying to keep perfectly horizontal so the slightest movement screws up the entire sequence.

So is there any kind of trick or mode I am missing? Maybe I can dumb down my controller a ton so the inputs are almost dead. I haven't tried this yet but I was thinking this must be some kind of automated setting I might be missing. Any ideas?

Tommy, if you are trying to keep slight movements to a minimum, try the tripod mode. I use it for tight shots. Makes little movements just seem fluid in video

Reactions: Tommygun45
Tommy, if you are trying to keep slight movements to a minimum, try the tripod mode. I use it for tight shots. Makes little movements just seem fluid in video

I do use this mode quite often, but I am usually trying to do some kind of complex move where I am panning and tilting. I guess dumbing down the joysticks is probably my best bet but I wish there was a way to lock an axis. That way I could line up the shot, disable say left right turning and just fly straight, control the speed, and moderate my umm, up and down camera movement thing. I am drawing a blank right now.

I do use this mode quite often, but I am usually trying to do some kind of complex move where I am panning and tilting. I guess dumbing down the joysticks is probably my best bet but I wish there was a way to lock an axis. That way I could line up the shot, disable say left right turning and just fly straight, control the speed, and moderate my umm, up and down camera movement thing. I am drawing a blank right now.

Tommy, check this video I made. This may give you some ideas on how to hide any little movements. I did it this way for when editing to hide them. Almost all tripod mode. Purposely doing some movement will hide the oopses.

Reactions: setandforget
Give a Litchi waypoint mission a shot. Set your gimbal angle straight down and fly a straight line 100 ft mission, then do a return to first waypoint the same way. That might get you a straight line shot.

Reactions: Nickster
I realize you said 100ft altitude, but a 100ft distance mission you can edit later.

A waypoint mission of 2 or even three waypoints. Set speed to zero, camera: user, or POI.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazzer
Give a Litchi waypoint mission a shot. Set your gimbal angle straight down and fly a straight line 100 ft mission, then do a return to first waypoint the same way. That might get you a straight line shot.

Good idea, or do a waypoint in Go also or POI.

DJI Ground Station Pro, Litchi, FPV Camera and more based on DJI SDK. In all of them you can set two points to let auto flight follow the straight line. I use FPV camera. While flying in straight line you can also yaw and change camera angle. It is almost impossible to do all manually.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT