HOW TO: Fix unstable Phantom 3 remote controller tablet mount

msinger

Approved Vendor
Reaction score
Website
phantomhelp.com
HOW TO: Fix unstable Phantom 3 remote controller tablet mount

Overview

The base of the OEM Phantom 3 tablet mount is made of plastic and is not able to support the weight of most tablets. It does securely hold them in place, but the tablet wobbles around on the remote controller at the point where the mount connects to the remote controller. This problem can be temporarily fixed by tightening the screws on the tablet mount, but it eventually loosens over time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Materials Needed
  • Inspire 1 Tablet Mount (get one from Amazon, eBay, or DJI)
  • Or, Jrelics mount (if you just want to replace the base of your Phantom 3 mount)
Note: There are many options available if you just want to replace the base your Phantom 3 tablet mount. I'm recommending Jrelics since I've tried it and it can be purchased on Amazon. Most other options come from China.

Before And After

Here are some photos showing the difference between Phantom 3 tablet mount and the Inspire 1 tablet mount:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And, here's a comparison between the Inspire 1 tablet mount base and the Jrelics mount:

Compare.jpg

The Jrelics mount is not as nice looking, but it is equally as sturdy as the Inspire 1 tablet mount.

Last edited:
Awesome guys. It's good to see you came up with some alternative fixes. I guess only time will tell how they hold up. The Inspire 1 mount was like night and day in my case.

Reactions: Silvaplana
Save it for another battery ;)

Reactions: Deep6
Save it for another battery ;)
or anything else that will actually make a difference, new shell for paint, ND filter (already have), lens cap etc
but I won't throw money at something a simple plier tightening will fix. :)

Some people are willing to go great lengths to fix problems with bandages. I'm simply offering a solution to the problem. I suppose it's not a good fix for everyone. That's okay though -- I'm just sharing my experience.

Some people are willing to go great lengths to fix problems with bandages. I'm simply offering a solution to the problem. I suppose it's not a good fix for everyone. That's okay though -- I'm just sharing my experience.
and we appreciate your solutions (and phantom help page---been using it for months!!)

Reactions: msinger
All I'm getting at is that people ought to try these two other suggestions before they are led to think the plastic mount is the problem...just get more torque on that front post....I'm glad your solution worked for you and I'm glad i didn't have to spend $50 then wait for delivery just to have the same mount stablity as you...that would have been a bad look for dji in my eyes if it inherently couldn't work.

Right. No need for the attitude though. I'm just here because I enjoy my Phantom and I like helping other people.

Not an attitude....just matter of fact. The thread might lead someone into believing they HAVE to do as you did to eliminate wobbles and its just isn't so. If what i was calling a solution involved re-tapping the holes or some other "bandaid" well in that case your solution would be the chosen solution. But again it's just not the fact......and for the record you seemed snarky in your responses. To call applying slightly more torque on the screw of the original mount a bandaid was off base.
just my 2 cents

If what i was calling a solution involved re-tapping the holes or some other "bandaid" well in that case your solution would be the chosen solution.
Sorry -- I didn't intend to make you jump to conclusions. To be more specific, adding Loctite to fix a problem is a bandaid in my mind. After seeing what Loctite did to the plastic shell in many Phantom 2's, I'm not interested in getting it anywhere near plastic in my Phantom 3. And, certainly not near plastic that is being stressed quite often.

I tried tightening the thumb screw with pliers as you suggested above. After reattaching my iPad Mini 2 and shaking the remote controller around a bit, it did not stay tight for long. Although, the wobble was not as pronounced as in my video above. It seems the plastic is flexing and allowing the thumb screw to loosen. This does not happen with the Inspire 1 mount. Like I said, it's night and day.

With that said, I am pretty confident that the thumb screw will never become loose enough to cause the tablet to fall off of the remote controller. And, from what I've tested so far, I'm also pretty confident that simply tightening the thumb screw is not going to prevent a bit of wobble and/or prevent it from becoming loose again.

The thread might lead someone into believing they HAVE to do as you did to eliminate wobbles and its just isn't so.
I believe it is so. Without using something like Loctite, I don't believe the thumb screw is going to remain tightened.

When my P3 arrived i noticed the thumbscrew was slightly loose and tightened it up, around 12 flights later and it's still solid and never had to re-tighten. As others have said if it does ever come loose a bit of loctite will soon solve it.

Well if nothing else it helps dress up one of DJI's controllers which looks like something that came with a $50 kids toy. But what do you expect DJI only gets... Is it $580 out of it?

I believe that something worth doing is worth doing right. I have never fixed anything with the 'That's good enough' attitude. So I replaced my wobbly plastic (read cheap) mount with the metal Inspire one. I could care less about $30, but I do care about fixing a problem, perceived or not, the correct way. I did notice that the wobble got worse in the sun on a hot (85+) day, I assume the plastic became more flexible as the temp went up, and it will be over 100º here before long, hate for it to snap with the weight of the controller and tablet on it.

Reactions: FLRebel and msinger

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen