How To Fix This?

Reaction score
Well after a minor crash today, this happened. Thanks to my prop guards as it could've been worse. I take it I have to remove the top half of the body and snap it back in place? The allen wrench provided does not fit on the screws underneath. Also, which screws underneath do I remove to snap this back in place?
0ae305d51f92d2c442852baa6a84066e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Agree with Meta .
JMO..I would cut that clip off if I could . Is not needed . I have clipped them all off of both of my P3's and have never had any issues .
That lid is a pain and is why I clipped mine off .
See 2.JPG what is behind it though if you do that .

No, I don't think you should cut off the tab as it IS needed.Just do what Meta4 suggests and all will be well.

A moment of your thread Flip , sorry .
There we agree to disagree squirrel .Before I opened my first one up I watched one of Pull_Up's videos on opening one up.
There he said they were just there to keep us out . I trust him. Goes by Simon Newton on YT . Long time member here.
After I did get the first one open which I did almost as soon as I got it I saw what a pain like I said it was to get that top off
so off with the clips .Did the 4K the same way .
Why do you think they are necessary ?
Now all I have to back up me saying what I did is this from my 2 P3's squirel.jpg No issues .
Now I go in mine often so it makes it easier for me with them off .
Now I'm sure you know I wouldn't tell a member something that would hurt his bird .
But I am curios why you think they are needed .

Last edited:
No worries. Difference of opinion is all, my friend. I'll defend to the death your right to say it...no matter how wrong you are! (not to be taken seriously, a joke ;) ) ;)

Reactions: dirkclod
After you have taken apart a bunch of these, it becomes much easier. Those snap features all around the bird keep the top and bottom halves locked together and aligned. I would not cut off any of these. That can easily be snapped back together, but I recommend a plastic tool, not a screwdriver. I cringe when I see anyone using metal pry tools on plastic, and the marks left afterwards.

why wouldn't you want to make it look perfect again?
it only takes 2 minutes to take the top off.
here, i made a short video of it ;)

Meh, I too would cut it off. Especially in this case where it is one. If you have the time and patients, by all means, remove the top and fix it correctly. The clips are not a big deal... No Phantom prior to the P3 series had them. They are just making it difficult for end users that's all.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT cut the clips off that shell. These Phantoms are not like an old car: they do not have frames. The structural rigidity of the entire aircraft is based on that shell -- much like on today's "unibody" cars. The clips keep the two halves of the shell aligned and tightly coupled. Yes, there are also some screws on the bottom side that help with this-- but without the clips those screws would be feeble stress points.

You can absolutely fly with one or even a few cut off clips, but your bird's structural rigidity will be compromised in a crash and you will suffer more damage. Ask any structural engineer. Or, in your case, think about the force of your impact that caused that clip to pop out in the first place -- it was so powerful that you're not even sure how to get it back in. Now imagine if you crashed the same way, and that clip wasn't there.

I would use a plastic "spludger" tool to get the clip back in if you can. It's a fair effort to take the top shell off to pop it back in, but maybe you can loosen one arm, or at most two, and pop it in that way.

why wouldn't you want to make it look perfect again?
it only takes 2 minutes to take the top off.
here, i made a short video of it ;)

Thanks for the video! Yes, once you've done it once or twice it's not a big deal. You look like a regular pro! One good tip is to squeeze the arms to disengage the clips -- you don't just pry the two halves of the shell apart because that could break things, and replacing the entire shell is a real chore. You made this look easy, but it can be tricky for a first-timer.

One suggestion, though: much of your work on the motor arms was off-camera -- recording in landscape mode might've been better.

i know.. recorded with a phone. and someone wanted it real quick so i made it in a hurry.
yes squeeze the arms and pull apart. DO NOT use any tools to try and open it up.

i know, my first one was like that but after you do close to 1000, yes you heard it right. close to thousand than it's a routine. ;)

You will need a set of Torx screwdrivers to separate the two parts, but it's not hard to do. Once you loosen them, you can then separate that section a bit and get it back to like new.

A hint, an old credit card is handy and safe for this. Then, snap it together and re insert the screws. It will take you no more that an hour and will greatly help your bird fly better. Plus, eventually, you'll need the Torx bits.

I bought my set for $10.00 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18