Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

How much are people charging for precision agriculture surveys

Discussion in 'Agriculture' started by jimcoutts, Dec 2, 2015.

1. jimcoutts

I am just wanting to find out from those of you on here and flying commercially how much people are charging for aerial precision agriculture surveys using software such as pix4d and of course a NDVI camera .

2. Waternut13134

I came across a photographer online and I think his pricing started at $500 and went up.

3. Bryce

Couple grand minimum. Software alone is an investment. I don't fly commercially, but I can't imagine how anyone could support any lifestyle charging anything less.... Especially if they went through all the BS of becoming "legal". $500 would be a retainer for lunch.

BigAl07 likes this.
  4. Terry Evans

Hello Members,
    Can I start into Agriculture photography with a Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 V2 just as they are?
    Thank you,
    Terry Evans

5. Aliveman

Hey Terry, of course you can start Agri-photography, but as you stand it's a bit like entering a VW Beetle to a NASCAR race? Your kit from what I understand can currently take full spectrum image photographs/ video, and what farmer would not like a nice aerial picture of his farm? But that's about the limit of what you can offer right now, so you have a bit of work to do to get a better offering? Firstly, you need to get certificated to ask for payment of your services. You can pretend that it is a hobby, and ask the farmer for cash under the counter, but the minute you submit an invoice, you are deemed a pro? Then comes the "services" you can offer. The power of Agri-photography lies in these data services and not in simply flying a drone taking standard pics? You will need to upload your pics onto a cloud service such as Agribotix etc, which unpacks your photos into various useable formats, such as where crop stress exists, or temperature, water, weeds etc indicate some useful and actionable advice to the farmer. Bear in mind that these software platforms can be pretty expensive, and especially if you are offering real time analytics, uploading your massive data files on site via mobile broadband can be very costly too? Unfortunatly, you also need special cameras on your drone for almost all of these services, so your standard cameras are very limited in offering any level of analytics too. The bad news is that your Phantom 4 is not friendly to the commercial infra-red and NDVI spectrum cameras on offer (I think there is one camera manufacturer that will "add" a NDVI camera onto your P4, but then you lose your factory warranty, not a great option ?). The DJI pilots seem to have to move backwards to the Phantom 3 Advanced to get these expensive cameras on an aerial platform. It's a real dilemma since DJI have recently announced that they are not supporting anything under the Phantom 4 from now on? I am hoping that somebody comes up with an economically viable P4/P4P offering soon? Your Inspire is an an option, but the infra red cameras (such as the FLIR) are going to test your relationship with your bank manager. Hope this helps a bit, but perhaps the takeaway is that if you are going to offer agricultural services, expect to have to ramp up your kit, knowledge and data services quite a bit to enter the professional arena?

PStar, tahir, isaacfromcanada and 2 others like this.
  6. Terry Evans

Thank you so much. This is very helpful.
    Terry

7. Jrods

Depends on what service you are going to provide. I provide a basic crop damage and visual inspection service now. But this field is so much more. Currently I am working with an Ag group to provide just the raw data to them for processing. I expect that if we come to terms I will be spending about 50 grand on two drones with an assortment of sensors. An investment I will not make without a contract in hand. A far cry from where I started with a couple of P4s.

8. Terry Evans

Wow, that would be quite an investment. Does your P4s serve you well for what you are doing?
    Thanks,
    Terry