How do you land?

I tried manually landing once or twice and each time was scarier than the other. Every time it wanted to tip over and luckily I recovered and got back in the air. I too started just catching for a while until I placed my faith in the auto land button. So far (knock on wood) every landing has been as smooth as silk. I try to always take off from a good flat and open area with that being my RTH point as well. I haven't heard of any auto lands that have went bad but I'm sure they're out there. I see where it appears 99% of y'all hand catch..... I'm curious why this is? Do I need to worry about auto landing? Have any of y'all crashed an auto land? Like I said, the lands have been great every time. Geeeez, now I'm worried!!!

Ya, thats one problem I have seen repeated over and over. The P3 is really top heavy compared to its landing struts base. I am sure that is one thing I will be addressing with my 3D printer after I get the P3 in hand to see what the actual issue is.

I launch from my case or backpack, and hand catch the Phantom. This keeps debris from contaminating the motors. Trust me, you don't want magnetic sand stuck in your motors!:eek:

I launch from my case or backpack, and hand catch the Phantom. This keeps debris from contaminating the motors. Trust me, you don't want magnetic sand stuck in your motors!:eek:

Well, unless you are flying over iron mines or smelters, is that actually a problem?

So I almost always land manually (left stick down) or auto land on top of my hard case to keep debris away from camera. But it is kind of a small target to hit. I have hand caught a few times when I have someone with that can catch while I work the controls. How do you hand catch without a second person? I'd prefer to do that if I can find a safe method.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I do hand catch but can someone explain the right way to catch?

I also (almost) always hand catch. If there's a level, clean, dry surface without weeds or rocks and very little wind, I might land on it instead.

When you do hand catch, make sure you're upwind and if in doubt, let the bird hover for a few seconds so you're sure it won't move unexpectedly. Avoid "fighting" the bird by pulling it down or toward you -- this can stress the frame.

Well, unless you are flying over iron mines or smelters, is that actually a problem?
Yes, take a magnet to a sand deposit and you'll be surprised how many magnetic particles you can attract.

In fact, more than once I've had to change locations to not have a compass error near sand deposits.

A couple of years ago I'd been flying by a local river and landed my Phantom on the shore. Two flights later, from 330' high, the Phantom's left front motor stopped. 10 seconds later, the bird hit the ground. I disassembled the motor and it had several tiny black particles stuck inside. I used motor cleaning putty (like silly putty) to grab the particles and have not landed on the ground since.

I do hand catch but can someone explain the right way to catch?
When I hand catch, I let it hover at about 6 feet off the ground. I have a neck strap for the remote control, so I use my right hand to grab one of the rear legs. As soon as I have a good grip, with my left hand I lower the throttle (left stick) all the way and hold it until the motors shut down (about 3 seconds).

I hand catch about 1/3 of the time, I land in GPS mode about 1/3 of the time, and I land in ATTI mode about 1/3 of the time. It helps me keep the flying skills up for the inevitable time that I am faced with having to land and can't hand catch. I also enjoy the challenge, as half the fun of these things is learning to master them without all the computer assistance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: sonof40
Phantom's landing behavior is unpredictable , if i try landing its will cut the whole grass for me :(

Sent from my Micromax A77 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your hand catch procedures.

As for it being unpredictable I really never have trouble with full landing. It seems reasonably easy to control. Just think hand catching reduces chance for dust/moisture on the optics of the camera.

I bring a 4 ft square piece of plywood and throw that down when I fly as my landing pad. Easy enough for me to carry in my truck, and it gives me a nice flat, clean area for takes off and landing. Have not had any problems with this arrangement.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah good idea! I use my p3p case so a bit smaller target and the 12" height makes it a bit more intense :)

Thanks for your hand catch procedures.

As for it being unpredictable I really never have trouble with full landing. It seems reasonably easy to control. Just think hand catching reduces chance for dust/moisture on the optics of the camera.

Uneven ground - winds - sand - dust - fences - there are loads of reasons to hand catch!

Man if I hadn't read this thread I would have thought 80+% of people landed it manually. I got my P3A 13 days ago and have flown every single days 2-4 batteries. One of first things I did was practice landing because, why not, I figured I'd need to know how to do that very well. Now, it's one of my favorite parts of flying, the icing on the cake. Last night I landed it in the back of my pickup truck (which has a cap in it). I've landed it on many things. I'm really surprised the consensus says catch it. Seems so anti-climactic.

Catch always - the legs are suitable for take off but suck for landing unless everything goes perfect.

NOTE: On launch, 100% throttle until off the ground ALWAYS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl